Best Avengers release by packaging design

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Allard
The Ministry

Best Avengers release by packaging design

Post by Allard »

As real fans no Avengers release is ever good enough for us, episodes are cut, lacking extras, playback issues, flimsy boxes.

But judging solely on packaging, which is your favourite Avengers release on DVD or VHS?

I think I would choose the American A&E release. Simple, stylish, each set distinguishes itself from the others, and fits in with the sixties as well as when they were released.

PLEASE ADD IMAGES or a link to your pick if possible.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Best Avengers release by packaging design

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:As real fans no Avengers release is ever good enough for us, episodes are cut, lacking extras, playback issues, flimsy boxes.

But judging solely on packaging, which is your favourite Avengers release on DVD or VHS?

I think I would choose the American A&E release. Simple, stylish, each set distinguishes itself from the others, and fits in with the sixties as well as when they were released.

PLEASE ADD IMAGES or a link to your pick if possible.

I would concur..the A & E releases, first on VHS, later on DVD, were pretty good for it's time...years after, they still look pretty good...shame that they are now out of print..the original EMMA /Avengers release, was really good...and the replacement of the complete Emma episodes by Lionsgate, pales in comparison.....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I liked the Contender boxes that make a long picture of Steed, Cathy, Emma, Tara, and the TNA trio with their box spine art. (NB Purdey and Gambit with Steed off to the right, sorry my picture got cut).

Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I liked the Contender boxes that make a long picture of Steed, Cathy, Emma, Tara, and the TNA trio with their box spine art. (NB Purdey and Gambit with Steed off to the right, sorry my picture got cut).

nice graphic design..looks very good...maybe one day, studio canal..will get the licensing deal right, and someone like Lionsgate, will come out with the ultimate pkg...a'la like a criterion release...the works......one can dream...
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
Frankymole wrote:I liked the Contender boxes that make a long picture of Steed, Cathy, Emma, Tara, and the TNA trio with their box spine art. (NB Purdey and Gambit with Steed off to the right, sorry my picture got cut).

nice graphic design..looks very good...maybe one day, studio canal..will get the licensing deal right, and someone like Lionsgate, will come out with the ultimate pkg...a'la like a criterion release...the works......one can dream...

speaking of, I noticed that Franky has the 'remastered' complete Emma peel episodes..in his collection...the same design for the U.S. release...by Lionsgate..(U.S.) looks like studio canal for the UK issue...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, I've got the Optimum/Studio Canal region 2 releases for Seasons 2-6 (plus season 1 remnants with the Leonard White tele-snaps/scrapbook). Not so keen on the packaging as the slimline cases often "tangle" their spindles and are hard to open without disks becoming dislodged. And some of the boxes are so tight I've damaged the publicity leaflet reproductions trying to get the disk cases back in.

The German "Book" complete set was hard to use as well with the tight cardboard slots, risking scratching disks.

The funniest one I have must be the French "telephone box" packaging for the Cathy Gale (and Ian Hendry episode, The Frighteners, which was the only way to buy it on DVD in region 2 then).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes, I've got the Optimum/Studio Canal region 2 releases for Seasons 2-6 (plus season 1 remnants with the Leonard White tele-snaps/scrapbook). Not so keen on the packaging as the slimline cases often "tangle" their spindles and are hard to open without disks becoming dislodged. And some of the boxes are so tight I've damaged the publicity leaflet reproductions trying to get the disk cases back in.

The German "Book" complete set was hard to use as well with the tight cardboard slots, risking scratching disks.

The funniest one I have must be the French "telephone box" packaging for the Cathy Gale (and Ian Hendry episode, The Frighteners, which was the only way to buy it on DVD in region 2 then).
yeah, that has always been A bone of contention with me..certain packaging..making hard to get discs in and out..and all too many times, the result is scratched disks....the U.S. release of HOUSE OF CARDS, has similar maddening packaging....
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Indeed those book releases repel me, DVD's shouldn't be in slots but in boxes.

The Contender Definitive Dossier release is beautiful as well. I have the Peel monochromes in that version. I get excited watching an episode just by handling the boxes.

Other series I own in the Dutch A-film release. It has it's issues, but highly quality discs and boxes.

Here I have an old picture where they're lined up by colour.
Image[/url]
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:Indeed those book releases repel me, DVD's shouldn't be in slots but in boxes.

The Contender Definitive Dossier release is beautiful as well. I have the Peel monochromes in that version. I get excited watching an episode just by handling the boxes.

Other series I own in the Dutch A-film release. It has it's issues, but highly quality discs and boxes.

Here I have an old picture where they're lined up by colour.
Image[/url]

been enjoying seeing everyone's collection of discs/boxes..world wide...it's a testimonial to our devotion etc
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Packaging is one of my biggest disappointments for the show.

The Canal DVD boxsets are hideous.

I quite liked the Lumiere videos. They were nothing special but they weren't ugly.

For a show that has such interesting iconography, no graphic designers have managed to capitalise on it.