Diana Rigg-The Biography

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Diana Rigg-The Biography

Post by cyberrich »

I recently bought Diana Rigg the biography by Kathleen Tracy. It's unofficial but an interesting read. There's a lot of interviews Diana gave to magazines and newspapers over the years which are used to tell her story. I was surprised to read one thing. I've just read the chapter regarding The Avengers, and the author says that the decision was made to drop Ian Hendry, as Macnee was becoming more popular by the end of season 1. "...the producers decided pairing Steed with a female costar might lend more zip to the show, the decision was made to drop Hendry." She then goes on to write that "the producers were willing to write Hendry out gradually because in Dec 1961 the decision was made to keep his character going through 39 episodes while introducing Venus Smith." She added that following the equity strike Hendry moved on anyway.
Is this correct :?: I've never heard of the producers wanting to write Hendry out.
Last edited by cyberrich on Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Diana Rigg-The Biography

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Image

I recently bought Diana Rigg the biographer by Kathleen Tracy. It's unofficial but an interesting read. There's a lot of interviews Diana gave to magazines and newspapers over the years which are used to tell her story. I was surprised to read one thing. I've just read the chapter regarding The Avengers, and the author says that the decision was made to drop Ian Hendry, as Macnee was becoming more popular by the end of season 1. "...the producers decided pairing Steed with a female costar might lend more zip to the show, the decision was made to drop Hendry." She then goes on to write that "the producers were willing to write Hendry out gradually because in Dec 1961 the decision was made to keep his character going through 39 episodes while introducing Venus Smith." She added that following the equity strike Hendry moved on anyway.
Is this correct :?: I've never heard of the producers wanting to write Hendry out.

I would concur with your opinion...as far as I know, from all the reading I've done on the series, over the years , I always got the notion than Hendry left the series, as he thought the role was too limited in scope, and he was most keen to develope his career in cinema, which he did....Now, I could be wrong..
but it also seemed logical to replace Ian, with a 'female' partner.first Venus Smith, then Mrs. Gale. the success of the Gale character, helped propel the series to greater heights, and eventually allowed Emma Peel to continue the 'female' angle...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Not correct at all, I'm afraid.

The original contract had been for 13 episodes and after the initial success ABC asks for a further 13 to make it 26.

In August-September 1961 Iris were given an option to extend the run by an extra 13 episodes, making it 39 episodes.

However, when the Equity Strike loomed they were still in discussions.
The last of the 26 episodes, "The Un-Dead" was produced in October 1961, wrapping on 18th October and mounted as "Dead of Winter".

"The Avengers" at that point was on a three month broadcasting break as ABC's programme director, Brian Tesler, had brokered an agreement between ABC & ATV, letting ATV's drama series "Deadline Midnight" finish in a weekly run, after which "The Avengers" would return to air as a weekly series (they had been alternating the Saturday night slot between the two shows, so each had been running on a fortnightly schedule).

The Equity Strike, which the producers had hoped would be resolved and not happen, DID happen as no deal had been struck between ITV and Actor's Equity by the 31st October deadline and all production ceased for the whole of November 1961 to April 1962.

On 29 December 1961, ABC announced to the press that "The Avengers" would end early and the additional 13 episodes would not be made. Some of the scripts ended up being reused in series 2 while others were junked.

Ian Hendry had already decided by that point that he was sick of being typecast as a doctor and thought he could make it big in cinema.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Thanks for the reply. So the producers never discussed dropping Hendry at any time :?: It was the first time I'd ever heard this story, and I was sure this info was wrong. I wonder why the author was led to believe this :?:
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Thanks for the reply. So the producers never discussed dropping Hendry at any time :?: It was the first time I'd ever heard this story, and I was sure this info was wrong. I wonder why the author was led to believe this :?:
Enjoyed the last two posts on this thread, which sheds a new light on this mystery , whether or not Hendry was asked to leave..Myself, I believe he was tired of the weekly grind of television, and was keen to pursue a career in film.

sadly, Ian,like Patrick, are not longer with us, so a direct answer from either of them, won't be happening....
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

It's certainly true that The Avengers had become Steed's show rather than Keel's show by about mid-series but even as as early as during the live broadcast run (episodes 3-9) Leonard White wrote a memo which noted that Steed stories were easier to write that Keel stories.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:It's certainly true that The Avengers had become Steed's show rather than Keel's show by about mid-series but even as as early as during the live broadcast run (episodes 3-9) Leonard White wrote a memo which noted that Steed stories were easier to write that Keel stories.

sorta funny, how that turned out..as I always thought that the show was a vehicle to show case Ian, rather than Patrick..but I could be wrong..and I'm wondering if that was the case, Steed stories were 'easier' than Keel...of course, eventually Ian was keen to ankle the series, and focus on a cinema career..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Yes, it was a vehicle to showcase Ian, he was ABC's big star and the devised a new show after 'Police Surgeon' didn't do as well as hoped. You'd think they would have though "maybe it's because the lead character is a suburban doctor" but no...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Actually in the Avengers chapter the author wrote that they were not happy with Patrick's portrayal of Steed in the first episode. She writes "..in the pilot, Steed was nondescript both emotionally and visually. Macnee recalls that Newman called him in for a meeting saying "Patrick you're not working out. Go away and think of something." I seem to remember reading that quote a few years ago. I've always wondered why only the first 20 minutes of Hot snow are available to watch. Officially the story is only the first reel has been found. Mm. I wonder. :idea:
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

That's true, Patrick played Steed very straight and mysterious at first and wasn't flamboyant. He thought he had interpreted the character correctly and was crestfallen when they told him otherwise.

He came back in some of his own Edwardian suits and bowler hats (he must have been a Ted himself), startling the people on set, but it worked. Oh boy, it worked!
Mrs Peel, you're needed!