Quintessential poll - series 5 the Peel colour episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

From Venus with Love
14%
The Fear Merchants
No votes
Escape in Time
10%
The See-Through Man
No votes
The Bird Who Knew Too Much
No votes
The Winged Avenger
No votes
The Living Dead
No votes
The Hidden Tiger
29%
The Correct Way to Kill
5%
Epic
5%
The Superlative Seven
No votes
A Funny Thing Happend on the Way to the Sation
10%
Something Nasty in the Nursery
No votes
The Joker
5%
Who's Who???
No votes
Return of the Cybernauts
No votes
Death's Door
No votes
The £50,000 Breakfast
No votes
Dead Man's Treasure
10%
You Have Just Been Murdered
5%
The Positive Negative Man
No votes
Murdersville
10%
Mission... Highly Improbable
No votes
The Forget-Me-Knot
No votes

Total votes: 21

Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Typically fans of tv shows get asked what is their favourite episode. I want to ask which episode you think or experience as being most typical of each series of The Avengers. So NOT your favourite, but which episode you think best represents a certain series best. We're starting of with the Peel colours:

please elaborate in a reply if you have more than one episode (the forum will only allow one vote) or if you wish to discuss or motivate your choice.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

good question..

tough choice, I reckon'....speaking for myself, I would select murdersville' as that episode..everything from photography, depth, dialogue , and overall attitude, coming from the script..is there with this episode ...is this the ultimate peel episode ? probably not..if such an episode does exist...is this the 'best' colour Peel episode ? again, it's up for discussion...each of her episodes, means something to many of us..so the debate is valid, and should prove to be lively
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I've never been very keen on it but I think The Hidden Tiger sums up the template for series 5 episodes. You have people being murdered off one by one that leads Steed and Emma to a strange organisation with someone dodgy behind it all.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Three or four episodes were remakes of earlier videotaped ones. However one of those, The Correct Way to Kill (a remake of The Jokers) was to my mind the most typical episode of series 5 incorporating all the elements of the formula.

The only weird thing is Steed and Emma both get paired with different people, which makes us grateful when they're reunited at the end. So it both calls back to Series 3 (script), and forward to series 7 (looking like a double-banked episode with Steed operating with a different partner, and his usual partner getting a new one of her own). But the diabolical masterminds, settings, even the recurrent actors (Madoc, Gough, Barkworth) are totally typical Avengers.

All that said, I'll go for one I enjoy less. Escape in Time, so often cited as the archetypal Emma episode.
Last edited by Frankymole on Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Three or four episodes were remakes of earlier videotaped ones. However one of those, The Correct Way to Kill (a remake of The Jokers) was to my mind the most typical episode of series 4 incorporating all the elements of the formula.

The only weird thing is Steed and Emma both get paired with different people, which makes us grateful when they're reunited at the end. So it both calls back to Series 3 (script), and forward to series 7 (looking like a double-banked episode with Steed operating with a different partner, and his usual partner getting a new one of her own). But the diabolical masterminds, settings, even the recurrent actors (Madoc, Gough, Barkworth) are totally typical Avengers.

All that said, I'll go for one I enjoy less. Escape in Time, so often cited as the archetypal Emma episode.

I could see why..you have selected ' escape in Time'...good choice..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It's definitely typical of season 5, and Peter Bowles is one of the best actors, in all Avengers seasons. He makes for one of the best diabolical masterminds, every time he appears. Pretty good in other series, including comedy like "To The Manor Born" and "Only When I Laugh". I've seen Escape in Time too often, but to show someone what Avengers series 5 typically is like, it's spot on. And lovely to see Rocky Taylor's handsome face for once.

Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:It's definitely typical of season 5, and Peter Bowles is one of the best actors, in all Avengers seasons. He makes for one of the best diabolical masterminds, every time he appears. Pretty good in other series, including comedy like "To The Manor Born" and "Only When I Laugh". I've seen Escape in Time too often, but to show someone what Avengers series 5 typically is like, it's spot on. And lovely to see Rocky Taylor's handsome face for once.

yes, great actor...glad he's still around today at 85....I recently noticed him in that Connery film that UA released..as part of his pact ,coming back in Diamonds Are Forever....The Offense....where Connery as a policeman, loses it and kills a suspect....brutal film....1972
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

In my opinion, it's a tie between The Hidden Tiger and You Have Just Been Murdered but, since only one episode can be chosen, I went for The Hidden Tiger.

I think it's a perfect blend of all the elements that made The Avengers a world-wide phenomenon. There's sci-fi, tongue-in-cheek humour (the episode if plentiful with double entendres), style (Emma drinking champagne while peeling off her wallpaper), eccentricity (the safari, Mr. Cheshire), archetypal 60's set designs (the cat corridor at Purrr impressed me very vividly the first time I watched this episode). Oddly, there isn't a clear diabolical mastermind here: Angora and doctor Manx don't seem to do quite the trick for me, although Angora is a wonderfully chilling -though underused- character.

You Have Just Been Murdered has all of the above-listed elements but it doesn't come through as such a strong episode as Tiger does. Nevertheless, it's very enjoyable (and a personal favourite).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Brugeoise wrote:In my opinion, it's a tie between The Hidden Tiger and You Have Just Been Murdered but, since only one episode can be chosen, I went for The Hidden Tiger.

I think it's a perfect blend of all the elements that made The Avengers a world-wide phenomenon. There's sci-fi, tongue-in-cheek humour (the episode if plentiful with double entendres), style (Emma drinking champagne while peeling off her wallpaper), eccentricity (the safari, Mr. Cheshire), archetypal 60's set designs (the cat corridor at Purrr impressed me very vividly the first time I watched this episode). Oddly, there isn't a clear diabolical mastermind here: Angora and doctor Manx don't seem to do quite the trick for me, although Angora is a wonderfully chilling -though underused- character.

You Have Just Been Murdered has all of the above-listed elements but it doesn't come through as such a strong episode as Tiger does. Nevertheless, it's very enjoyable (and a personal favourite).

good choices you selected...but if I had to select one of the two...I would select YOU have just been murdered.....but that's just my choice...Hidden Tiger, is just as good and deserving...
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I chose The Hidden Tiger but Escape in Time would have done equally well at representing series 5.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.