Cyd Child: Judo, The Avengers and Me

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

Can't wait to read this book! It occurs to me that I've seen pictures of Cyd doubling for Emma Peel and Tara King, but I can't recall seeing her as Purdey.
Old account paulpdjh
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

MikeR wrote:Another book that I was not aware of. Christine really is the business, she helped me so much when I was writing Bowler Hats and Kinky Boot, being very helpful in telling what day by day production on The Avengers was like. She also informed me that Linda would try and get shooting scripts changed, so the stunts were less complicated and then she and not Cyd, would be able to do the.

I also arranged for Christine to join us for the weekend on the Dead Man's Treasure Hunt event some years ago in Borehamwood and it was great to have her along.
Mike, you cheered me up, haven't heard from you on the Avengers threads of this forum in a long time. Thank you for these memories. You have no plans for an updated version of your Bowler Hats and Kinky Boot book? :wink:

Lately, I get the feeling that the current Avengerland year is devoted to books. First there was the book about Honor Blackman by Unstoppable Cards, then Stay Tuned, now Cyd Child's book. :P
Denis
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

paulh wrote:Can't wait to read this book! It occurs to me that I've seen pictures of Cyd doubling for Emma Peel and Tara King, but I can't recall seeing her as Purdey.
I think I read that she did some of the motorbike riding as Jo couldn't ride one at the time? It might've been a licence issue, to ride it on the open road if Jo didn't have a licence for that.
denis rigg wrote: Lately, I get the feeling that the current Avengerland year is devoted to books. First there was the book about Honor Blackman by Unstoppable Cards, then Stay Tuned, now Cyd Child's book. :P
Will Steedumbrella site have a section on books, once it's back? We do seem to have a bumper crop at the moment!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Hi denis

I have no plans to update Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots at the moment. However, if Telos Publishing wanted me to do this in order to publish a revised edition, then I'd be happy to go with that.

I'm only weeks away from my latest book being published, which is called Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered. This is an overview of 50 sixties spy/secret agent movies (one per chapter) and it includes all the sixties Bond, Man from UNCLE, Harry Palmer, Derek Flint, Matt Helm films from that decade, as well as others.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Frankymole wrote:Will Steedumbrella site have a section on books, once it's back? We do seem to have a bumper crop at the moment!
Definitely, Franky. :wink: The books section was previously on Steedumbrella as well as other productions around the series. Fortunately, there can still walk around a small part of the site thanks to the web.archive.org, but many important pages are not saved. :(

https://web.archive.org/web/20161016224 ... _menu.html

After the end of work for the "The Avengers/TNA: List of people dead (1961-2017, 2019)" on the forum...

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum

...I plan to resume the site on another hosting (I will not transfer the content, since a small part of the old site has been rehabilitated, I can quickly upload it again to the new hosting). After finishing the music section, I'll move on to books, then to other sections of merchandise. :wink:
Denis
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

MikeR wrote:Hi denis

I have no plans to update Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots at the moment. However, if Telos Publishing wanted me to do this in order to publish a revised edition, then I'd be happy to go with that.

I'm only weeks away from my latest book being published, which is called Guns, Girls and Gadgets: Sixties Spy Films Uncovered. This is an overview of 50 sixties spy/secret agent movies (one per chapter) and it includes all the sixties Bond, Man from UNCLE, Harry Palmer, Derek Flint, Matt Helm films from that decade, as well as others.
I would like to believe that Telos Publishing will see meaning in a potential revision of your book, which I have always found quite valuable (I still study these "production Avengers sheets" on a regular basis).

It's good to know that you are continuing these film and TV themes from the 1960s with books. After all, there was a ton of cult things to educate the modern generation. :)
Denis
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:

I would like to believe that Telos Publishing will see meaning in a potential revision of your book, which I have always found quite valuable (I still study these "production Avengers sheets" on a regular basis).

It's good to know that you are continuing these film and TV themes from the 1960s with books. After all, there was a ton of cult things to educate the modern generation. :)

I second the notion of having updated version of your book ..and if the other two Avengers books show some decent sales and interest, then it's a no brainer..in fact, I'm hoping that several other books get strong consideration for update, etc
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

Frankymole wrote:
paulh wrote:Can't wait to read this book! It occurs to me that I've seen pictures of Cyd doubling for Emma Peel and Tara King, but I can't recall seeing her as Purdey.
I think I read that she did some of the motorbike riding as Jo couldn't ride one at the time? It might've been a licence issue, to ride it on the open road if Jo didn't have a licence for that.
Thanks, that explains it. I was sure I'd have remembered seeing a photo of Cyd doubling for Purdey!
Old account paulpdjh
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

mousemeat wrote:
denis rigg wrote:

I second the notion of having updated version of your book ..and if the other two Avengers books show some decent sales and interest, then it's a no brainer..in fact, I'm hoping that several other books get strong consideration for update, etc

speaking of Dave Rogers, his 'new' hard cover book, arrived at my door step a few minutes ago...Man, Am I fired up....can't wait to dive into it...and initial glance, looks really good.....hot dog !
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

With all these books, maybe I should finally write one. I've uncovered so much this last year despite being six months in a leaky boat away from the source material.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.