Peter Bowles (1936-2022) RIP

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mariocki
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Peter Bowles (1936-2022) RIP

Post by mariocki »

Sadly, the prolific actor who appeared in 4 episodes of The Avengers has died at the age of 85 from cancer:

https://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/nati ... s-aged-85/

A very sad loss. RIP.
"No ma'm, I'm a Texan."
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Sad news indeed, one of the great Avengers guest actors.
And quite memorable from other appearances as well The Saint, The Persuaders and in Avenging the Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

He was brilliant in everything, not least The Prisoner episode "A. B. and C.".

I remember him very well from the immensely popular series To The Manor Born where he was a great comedy leading man. Similarly in Only When I Laugh as a posh hypochondriac.

My favourite role of his must be as Guthrie Featherstone QC MP in Rumpole of the Bailey with Leo McKern, a brilliantly-written and acted series which still gets repeated almost daily. Lytton's Diary, which he devised, had too short a run - very enjoyable. He had an amazing theatre career too.

I will watch Second Sight, the Avengers season 3 story, tonight to remind myself of how superb he always was in this mad show of ours.

Rest in Peace lovely Mr Peter Bowles, and thank you for all the fun.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:He was brilliant in everything, not least The Prisoner episode "A. B. and C.".

I remember him very well from the immensely popular series To The Manor Born where he was a great comedy leading man. Similarly in Only When I Laugh as a posh hypochondriac.

My favourite role of his must be as Guthrie Featherstone QC MP in Rumpole of the Bailey with Leo McKern, a brilliantly-written and acted series which still gets repeated almost daily. Lytton's Diary, which he devised, had too short a run - very enjoyable. He had an amazing theatre career too.

I will watch Second Sight, the Avengers season 3 story, tonight to remind myself of how superb he always was in this mad show of ours.

Rest in Peace lovely Mr Peter Bowles, and thank you for all the fun.

another light has been dimmed....great character actor, of sorts...and thanks for reminding me of Leo McKern...another fine actor...whom I was first introduced as a teen in the Beatles ' Help ' film....
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I was sad to hear this news on the radio on the drive home. He was a terrific actor and was always a joy to watch especially in To the manor born. He had perfect comic timing, and was also superb in the episode of Rising Damp he made. He was terrific in all 4 Avengers episodes, especially Escape in time. The radio said Marlon Brando considered Peter Bowles his favourite British actor. RIP.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I can't top Franky's comment, he was a great comic actor and could do a dramatic turn with a degree of scenery chewing; always a delight to watch.
Last edited by dissolute on Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

It is very sad to hear! One of great actors with a lot of memorable roles has left - from the last one I watched the TV series Victoria.
Denis
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Oh no!!!!

I was just thinking about him and Penelope Keith. He was a lovely actor.

I recall one of the last things I've seen him in was a film, Lilting, starring Ben Wishaw and Chen Pei Pei
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

frank wrote:Oh no!!!!

I was just thinking about him and Penelope Keith. He was a lovely actor.

I recall one of the last things I've seen him in was a film, Lilting, starring Ben Wishaw and Chen Pei Pei
he certainly was....and sadly, as the next few yrs continue to fly back, we will see even more actors, writers, directors, etc who worked on shows like the Avengers, the Saint, etc pass away....and eventually, no one from that era, will be left...but we will have the shows, and their memories...
J.Mac3
Little Wonder

Post by J.Mac3 »

Allard wrote:Sad news indeed, one of the great Avengers guest actors.
And quite memorable from other appearances as well The Saint, The Persuaders and in Avenging the Avengers.
Another great Avengers quest actor gone. And I just watched Escape in Time two days ago. We're losing too many too quickly. RIP.