"Look - Stop me if..." Commentary Linda Thorson

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

"Look - Stop me if..." Commentary Linda Thorson

Post by darren »

https://youtu.be/vX67WOrhJpY

"Look - (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) But There Were These Two Fellers..." Commentary featuring Linda Thorson and Julian Chagrin.

There are some sound issues from the moderator's connection but Linda Thorson adds a lot of energy to this commentary (but she's very direct in putting up boundaries on what she will discuss). She's good friends with Julian Chagrin so champions conversations favouring him.

They're always quite awkward these things but there's some nice info. I didn't know that one of Linda's favourite episodes was Noon Doomsday.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Oh I must watch this, Julian is a very funny man, to this day.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: "Look - Stop me if..." Commentary Linda Thorso

Post by mousemeat »

darren wrote:https://youtu.be/vX67WOrhJpY

"Look - (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) But There Were These Two Fellers..." Commentary featuring Linda Thorson and Julian Chagrin.

There are some sound issues from the moderator's connection but Linda Thorson adds a lot of energy to this commentary (but she's very direct in putting up boundaries on what she will discuss). She's good friends with Julian Chagrin so champions conversations favouring him.

They're always quite awkward these things but there's some nice info. I didn't know that one of Linda's favourite episodes was Noon Doomsday.
thanks for the link...and I'll try and reflect my impressions on her commentary as well
Brugeoise
Thingumajig

Post by Brugeoise »

I've just finished watching it. There's a bit in which Linda refuses to answer a question about the impact The Avengers had on her career. She excused herself by saying that she has a "big mouth" and I found that particularly interesting.

Was it really that bad for her? It sounded more like she was talking about the actual day to day work and her relationship with the rest of the team behind the scenes rather than fans' reactions to Tara King.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Brugeoise wrote:I've just finished watching it. There's a bit in which Linda refuses to answer a question about the impact The Avengers had on her career. She excused herself by saying that she has a "big mouth" and I found that particularly interesting.

Was it really that bad for her? It sounded more like she was talking about the actual day to day work and her relationship with the rest of the team behind the scenes rather than fans' reactions to Tara King.
could be...I'm sure the series did have a pretty good (positive) impact on her career...and she's done solid work, since the series ended in 1969...perhaps she felt her salary, wasn't up to snuff...i.e. long hours, low pay..Diana Rigg, went thru a similar ordeal ....with her pay scale. or maybe it was issues with some of those..behind the scenes...one can only guess..
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Linda was pretty scarred by her experience. She was treated badly by cast and crew, Patrick wasn't supportive of her and ran her down, Brian hated her because she wasn't his choice, the fans hated her because she wasn't Diana - all the way up to today, in some cases.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

dissolute wrote:Linda was pretty scarred by her experience. She was treated badly by cast and crew, Patrick wasn't supportive of her and ran her down, Brian hated her because she wasn't his choice, the fans hated her because she wasn't Diana - all the way up to today, in some cases.

sounds familar....then the next question being...if she had to do it all over again, would she taken the role, or turn it down..and hope for the best,
career wise.
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Yes she had a pretty bad experience.

I recall at a convention 30 years ago I brought up the whole situation during a Q&A. She had a lot of animosity towards Brian Clemens. I don't blame her since he at times has said some pretty harsh things about her in interviews

She and MacNee were friends though. And she thought Albert Fennel was a lovely man
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Some lunatics even blame the demise of the series on her.

Still, she carried herself off with huge professionalism and has some amazing performances in the series to be remembered by. Stuff like All Done With Mirrors and Fog are unlike anything seen elsewhere and largely carried by her performance.

She can't have got on too badly with Clemens later since she took a lead role in the first episode of his Thriller series a handful of years later. Not a bad career progression for such a young actress.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Some lunatics even blame the demise of the series on her.

Still, she carried herself off with huge professionalism and has some amazing performances in the series to be remembered by. Stuff like All Done With Mirrors and Fog are unlike anything seen elsewhere and largely carried by her performance.

She can't have got on too badly with Clemens later since she took a lead role in the first episode of his Thriller series a handful of years later. Not a bad career progression for such a young actress.
good points...the series ended in 1969, as it simply ran it's course..and once american backing was halted, the decision was made (UK) TO call it a day..of course, I'm sure it was more complex..than that....and Thorson, by no stretch of the imagination caused the series to end..if memory serves me right, I remember reading that Linda as Tara, was well regarded in both the UK and France, as Steed's partner....