Amazon Prime streaming

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

AgentCooper
Nutshell

Amazon Prime streaming

Post by AgentCooper »

Happy new year, fellow Avengers fans. I’m happy to report that, as of today, seasons 2-6 are streaming on Amazon Prime in the US (I don’t know about other territories) for those who subscribe for free, with seasons 4-6 in glorious HD. Cheers!
paulh
Thingumajig

Post by paulh »

So far as I can see, seasons 4-6 are available to stream in the UK on ITVX, Britbox and Studiocanal Presents. Sadly, no sign of seasons 2-3 or TNA on any of them.
Old account paulpdjh
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Amazon Prime streaming

Post by mousemeat »

AgentCooper wrote:Happy new year, fellow Avengers fans. I’m happy to report that, as of today, seasons 2-6 are streaming on Amazon Prime in the US (I don’t know about other territories) for those who subscribe for free, with seasons 4-6 in glorious HD. Cheers!
to see it in re mastered HD, should be lured enough....especially if you don't have access to blu-ray, etc..first gen DVD ( Thru A & E ) were lacking..
AgentCooper
Nutshell

Re: Amazon Prime streaming

Post by AgentCooper »

mousemeat wrote:
AgentCooper wrote:Happy new year, fellow Avengers fans. I’m happy to report that, as of today, seasons 2-6 are streaming on Amazon Prime in the US (I don’t know about other territories) for those who subscribe for free, with seasons 4-6 in glorious HD. Cheers!
to see it in re mastered HD, should be lured enough....especially if you don't have access to blu-ray, etc..first gen DVD ( Thru A & E ) were lacking..
Agreed, the remastering work they did looks pretty stunning, I have to say. It's a cliche, I'm sure, but with some of these episodes, it's almost like watching for the first time. I just wish someone (like the Doctor Who Restoration Team) could do a properly remastering/clean-up of the videotaped episodes. I know they must be able to look better than they currently do.

And sadly, no sign of The New Avengers anywhere on streaming here in the US, but hope springs eternal. Maybe one day.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

A remastered New Avengers would be something to see (they did one episode, but I don't think sales of that convinced StudioCanal that it is economically viable to do more. At least the whole series is available on DVD, while a lot of other 1970s shows aren't.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:A remastered New Avengers would be something to see (they did one episode, but I don't think sales of that convinced StudioCanal that it is economically viable to do more. At least the whole series is available on DVD, while a lot of other 1970s shows aren't.

true...but at least in the states, the DVD's first put out by A & E, were basically taken from the VHS releases...and when A & E's contract to put the series out for the U.S. market, Lionsgate did the same, only they simply took the A & E DISCS, and put them out...and in a cheaper single set box, holding all of the discs..which makes for a pain in the rump, as one is removing disc for play back...the Original A & E graphics, etc was superior than the current Lionsgate offering..along with the original A & E Emma Peel mega set..

I still would like to see a U.S. RELEASE of the series in BLU RAY...but as Franky pointed it out, Studio Canal won't consider it...and Lionsgate doesn't seem interested as well...perhaps Shout Factory, or Kino-Lober, ( U.S.) could license it out, and do the honors....but again, it'll probably never happen...
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I've just started reading (or re-reading, but I don't remember if I read it cover-to-cover before) Patrick Macnee's and Dave Rogers' "The Avengers and Me".

As well as some great contributions from people like Sydney Newman and Don Leaver, the book has some amazing insights from Patrick. First of all he talks about how the series had been reduced to some tatty prints with lots of edits and that's all anyone saw on reruns, so he (and Dave and others) made a concerted effort to track down the original negatives and get complete prints restored and shown again. Subsequent restorations have built on this legacy.

What we got later on VHS and DVD is largely thanks to him and Dave, and add to that the achievement that Cathy Gale's stories survive at all...
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I've just started reading (or re-reading, but I don't remember if I read it cover-to-cover before) Patrick Macnee's and Dave Rogers' "The Avengers and Me".

As well as some great contributions from people like Sydney Newman and Don Leaver, the book has some amazing insights from Patrick. First of all he talks about how the series had been reduced to some tatty prints with lots of edits and that's all anyone saw on reruns, so he (and Dave and others) made a concerted effort to track down the original negatives and get complete prints restored and shown again. Subsequent restorations have built on this legacy.

What we got later on VHS and DVD is largely thanks to him and Dave, and add to that the achievement that Cathy Gale's stories survive at all...

how true...but still, some of the initial VHS, and later first generation DVD releases of the series, weren't very good, perhaps not having the proper negative..or they used a worned down one...

some of the Tara episodes were poorly mastered..(U.S.) And the New Avengers is badly in term of re mastering...

still, I'm grateful they even came out at all..

I'm hoping studio canal changes their attitude about a remastering..
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Yes I think Macnee wrote that bit in 1997. He definitely wasn't impressed by many of the early releases (especially the unauthorised ones which were dreadful, often from the poor broadcasts of the time). By 1997 the ill-fated movie was already out and Weintraub had started licensing the "proper" prints and the Cathy Gale episodes for TV repeats, but it would take a while for decent collections to be published. I remember getting the Kult TV VHSs in dribs and drabs, often with 3 episodes from completely different eras on each tape! And the Venus Smith/Cathy Gale episodes were in near-unwatchable "quality" well into the DVD era. I had the French ones for series 2, then the Contender ones. They've got better each time but how many people have the patience to buy the same thing 4 or 5 times, in different releases, like I did - haha. I must be mad!

I remember in the early 1980s when Channel 4 started in the UK and we got shown the colour Emma Peels but missing tag scenes, intros and other scenes because they were old Scottish TV prints that had been cut down to fit in more commercials per hour! I knew no better and it was my intro to the series (I'd seen a few TNAs as a small child but didn't remember much about them apart from who Gambit, Purdey and Steed were).
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Yes I think Macnee wrote that bit in 1997. He definitely wasn't impressed by many of the early releases (especially the unauthorised ones which were dreadful, often from the poor broadcasts of the time). By 1997 the ill-fated movie was already out and Weintraub had started licensing the "proper" prints and the Cathy Gale episodes for TV repeats, but it would take a while for decent collections to be published. I remember getting the Kult TV VHSs in dribs and drabs, often with 3 episodes from completely different eras on each tape! And the Venus Smith/Cathy Gale episodes were in near-unwatchable "quality" well into the DVD era. I had the French ones for series 2, then the Contender ones. They've got better each time but how many people have the patience to buy the same thing 4 or 5 times, in different releases, like I did - haha. I must be mad!

I remember in the early 1980s when Channel 4 started in the UK and we got shown the colour Emma Peels but missing tag scenes, intros and other scenes because they were old Scottish TV prints that had been cut down to fit in more commercials per hour! I knew no better and it was my intro to the series (I'd seen a few TNAs as a small child but didn't remember much about them apart from who Gambit, Purdey and Steed were).

HA ! and I thought I was mad...buying different versions as they became available....ahh, a familiar tale for many of us hard core fans