Is there any way of watching series 4 in colour?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Is there any way of watching series 4 in colour?

Post by QueenOfSin »

I have no issue with black and white TV and watch a fair few old films in it, but I was thinking it would be interesting to see what series 4 looks like in colour with the clothes and such. Is there any way of doing so?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Is there any way of watching series 4 in colour?

Post by Frankymole »

I don't know. It may be possible - I've only seen some very bad automatic software-coloured video from A Touch of Brimstone, it's that kind of smeary sepia that randomly guesses at flesh tones, and sticks bizarre flashing changing colours on everything else:

There is this far better effort from even earlier than Series 4 though:
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

QueenOfSin wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:34 pm I have no issue with black and white TV and watch a fair few old films in it, but I was thinking it would be interesting to see what series 4 looks like in colour with the clothes and such. Is there any way of doing so?
There are a few genuine colour stills from the production of series 4. E.g. from The House That Jack Built episode.

I'm not sure whether this A Touch of Brimstone photo is genuine colour, but if it is fake colourisation then it is extremely convincing.
https://www.mediastorehouse.com/studioc ... 35538.html

Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Sadly, this one isn't very colourful!

https://www.studiocanalstore.co.uk/aven ... 31867.html

Big Bear
Little Wonder

Post by Big Bear »

I love series 4 in black & white but would love to watch a really good colourised version from time to time. Always wished that the blu ray box set had that option. I expect with AI technology and future tv's they will be able to do it for you.

I know a lot of people are against it but it would probably make some of the best episodes be seen on tv again as all ITV seem to show is series 5 & 6.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

Thank you, I've not seen those before. How is it the earlier one is better done than the later one? The colour on that looks amazing, I wish it were possible to view all of series 4 like that!

Incidentally, having just watch the Brimstone one it struck me that it's got a different feel to series 5 and Emma seems quite spikey towards Steed, not at all like their comfortable playful banter of S5. I've not seen S4 for quite a long time but I don't remember her being so joyless and frigid as she seems to be in this episode. Steed also seems to be slightly different though not as much as Mrs Peel.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

From memory, the earlier one was done more recently, by a person with more technical skill.
There were some official colour tests done for series 4 in the 80s or 90s... I forget when. They're very short and are a bonus feature on one of the blu ray sets. They are also not very good (!!)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I have no appetite for colourisation, but with AI this might very well become an available thing soon.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

I would concur...monochrome, NEEDS to stay as it was filmed...the majority of what I've seemed...adding color...never came out well..due to the way monochrome looks..i.e. shadows, etc...then again, studios are getting much better in creating a more natural look to color...so who knows ?

maybe in the future, you might have two versions in blu ray...monochrome & color...
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Andrew Stocker found this one from The Thirteenth Hole. Genuine colour studio photo, he reckons.
GEOWx8GXsAALLsX.jpg
GEOWx8GXsAALLsX.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Last edited by Frankymole on Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.