Which Mrs Peel outfit would you most and least want to own?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Which Mrs Peel outfit would you most and least want to own?

Post by QueenOfSin »

Emma had some great outfits and she also had some that were definitely not so great. If you could have any of them for your own wardrobe which would it be? Equally what would you least like?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Which Mrs Peel outfit would you most and least want to own?

Post by Frankymole »

A massive subject! So hard to narrow it down.

I recommend dissolute's site's fantastic "Avengers fashion guide" pages, there are many pages of photos and descriptions for each season:
https://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenge ... s/fashion/

In general I prefer Tara's outfits. And some of Cathy Gale's compare well with Emma's stylish Season 4 numbers. I am not a fan of the "Emmapeelers" in series 5 - practical they may be, but they look to me too much like rumpled "babygro" romper suits.

This is probably my least favourite of all Emma's outfits, it just looks absolutely stupid. So this is the one I'd least like to own:

Joanna Lumley may have been dismissive of her "green slime" leotard but Emma had a few green slimes of her own!

This is dreadful and nearly topped my list of 'orrible outfits:

Diana/Emma looks fantastic in anything simple and Mod. If I had to own one of Emma's outfits it would be something like this:

Just look at the Fashion Guide pages to see how amazing she looks in a range of bright and colourful, simple Mod gear.

She is also beautiful in something light, floaty and summery. Having a fantastic body there's no harm in showing it off, very liberating and free-moving. Much better for mobility than a romper suit!
Last edited by Frankymole on Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Oh yes and as a Yorkshire lass she can certainly carry off a cloth cap!

Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

A comprehensive reply Frankymole!

Probably little argument with your least favourite. However, it is worth noting that the "headgear" is an Edwardian invention designed to protect the wearer from dust and dirt, there are several other examples at the Beaulieu motor museum. Diana is wearing it for the tag scene in the 1904 Vauxhall, without it the effect isn't nearly as bad IMHO.
Rigg-Beaulieu.jpg
Rigg-Beaulieu.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I still hate the suspenders :)

Apparently Twiggy wears Emma's floaty summer thing from The Bird Who Knew Too Much in one of her Avengers photoshoots. For some reason she has Emma's big watch on her ankle.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Yes, the John Bates 'Calvary' etc are my favourites, and that dress with the flared sleeves is super.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Absolutely hideous outfits, I'm surprised she agreed to wear them. Both make her look ridiculous! But if I had the chance to own one it would be the mustard and plum Emmapeeler. I always found it really striking.

flow gently sweet afton lyrics
frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Well the costume that she's wearing from Girl from Auntie should not be counted. She was wearing that at a fancy dress party when she was kidnapped.

They overdid it with the EmmaPeeler catsuits in my opinion. Some of them were good but that orange one looked terrible on her. Totally the wrong color. Much better were the variations on the combination of coat and matching slacks with a contrasting turtleneck. Stylish yet practical.
QueenOfSin
Nutshell

Post by QueenOfSin »

Yeesh I'd forgotten how bad some of them were :o. I agree the one with a visor thing is awful, it looks like a beekeeper's outfit! The boots aren't much better either, that outfit would be better without either of those. I got a shock with the Girl from Auntie costume, from memory in black and white it doesn't look like that :shock: It makes her look like she's got nothing on but a few carefully places bits n' bobs - reminds me of that scene from the Carry On films :lol:.

I don't mind the catsuits and I especially like the blue/purple one. I like most of the bright colours but not the super bright green Epic outfit, I think that's too much, it might not have been so bad were it just the jacket but the whole lot being that colour is just too gaudy.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

TOUGH choices, eh ? of course, most were products of the era..and the show's clothing designer / czar....I pretty prefer what she wore in the monochrome era...