Remembering A Single Line

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Remembering A Single Line

Post by Avengerholic »

There is one line spoken in The Avengers (and another one in Dept S as it happens), that comes into my mind often, and for no apparent reason what so ever, they aren't even from favourite episodes! It's odd that they have lodged in my brain for decades. They aren't even that memorable. I even find myself using them in daily life. The Avengers "quite so Mrs. Peel, quite so". I know the episode, I know the scene, do you? :) Any lines stick with other fans for no logical reason?.
dissolute
The Ministry

Re: Remembering A Single Line

Post by dissolute »

Haha, yes! Too many lines to mention, I use them all the time.

The most common is the most prosaic - every time I shave, even if I don't knick myself, I always say:
Cut myself shaving, rather badly I'm afraid.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Ooh, is your "Quite so" line from "Who's Who???", one of Lola/Emma's lines ("You're you!") came to me earlier today and made me think about the episode.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

dissolute wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:59 pm The most common is the most prosaic - every time I shave, even if I don't knick myself, I always say:
Cut myself shaving, rather badly I'm afraid.
:D Excellent
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

dissolute wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:10 am Ooh, is your "Quite so" line from "Who's Who???", one of Lola/Emma's lines ("You're you!") came to me earlier today and made me think about the episode.
No, it's not from Who's Who??? :wink:
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Oh yes, hard to let them come to mind at will, but there are a whole number of lines that are grafted in my memory and now and then pop to the surface.
Frasier and Yes (Prime) Minister are the other shows where this is the case for me.

There are lots of memes on the web of screenshots with the subtitles of films and tv shows of catchy lines, we need to start making these of The Avengers.