"For Services Rendered"

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
unclefester
Little Wonder

"For Services Rendered"

Post by unclefester »

The closing scene of The Fear Merchants to me has always reinforced the "did they or didn't they" storyline of a sexual relationship between Mrs. Peel and Steed with the scene suggesting to me at least, an intimate relationship.

When Mrs. Peel discovers & then opens the box of chocolates Steed lets her know with a deadpan expression & eye-to-eye contact that they are "for services rendered". Her facial expression in response tells me she knows exactly what he means and he isn't talking about another case being solved.

Am I in minority or majority territory with my interpretation?
Last edited by unclefester on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: "For Services Rendered"

Post by Frankymole »

Emma Peel prostitute herself for the price of a box of chocolates? Wow, she's cheap.

Personally I don't buy it (as it were). I think their relationship is... complicated.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
dissolute
The Ministry

Re: "For Services Rendered"

Post by dissolute »

I think the innuendo is intentional but he does really mean for helping on a case (with a side order of nudge-nudge-wink-wink)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.