Imprint Films: The Avengers - The Tara King Collection coming Nov. 29

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: Imprint Films: The Avengers - The Tara King Collection coming Nov. 29

Post by MRotten »

Frankymole wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:25 am Well the BBC released a BluRay set of Doctor Who's second season from 1964-65. There's a lot they can do now with upscaling and remastering, not least on the sound which could finally be as near uncompressed as possible.

But it all has to be weighed in outlay versus the possible commercial return. As far as I know they've never even VidFIREd the VT Avengers episodes (though I've seen some amateur restorations and that colourised/restored Honor Blackman scene).
Captions would be helpful and welcome.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

The StudioCanal blu-rays have captions - English subtitle, not HOH - so I would hope the Imprint sets have them as well...

I just checked and they have English subtitles for the Hard of Hearing for all the episodes but none of the extras. The site also says they are region B so be aware of that if buying from overseas!! I would have expected region free so that was a surprise to me.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I didn't even know BluRays still had regions. Seems a bit pointless these days even for new movies which seem to get simultaneous releases worldwide. Still, one of my tech-savvy bros will have a way round it.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

I think blu ray region B covers Europe, Africa and the Middle East, as well as Australia and New Zealand
Paul
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Oh that would be brill.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

never could understand why there were so many regions..i.e. for discs....and like Franky, I would have thought the new 'modern' blu ray discs, would be region free...if not, there's a slew of great releases in the UK, New Zealand, Australia, etc...many U.S. fans are missing out...especially the many Avengers releases...many are far superior than the A & E releases...which are shoddy....as they were basically transferred from VHS masters of the era....unless things go towards region free, the alternative would to purchase a all regions dvd/blu ray...if you can find 'em...
AgentCooper
Nutshell

Post by AgentCooper »

I have to say, the Tara King Imprint set is a beautiful thing. I’ve barely scratched the surface of all the various features, but it is very impressive, including the packaging and the booklet by Mr. Pixley, and seems to be the definitive set for the final run of episodes IMO. Really outstanding, high quality work.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Excellent! I can't think of a better champion for the Tara episodes. I look forward to reading Andrew's words!
Thank you for the capsule review!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

I'm going to look for that Tara set...btw, if anyone on the forum purchases one, can you give us a say, mini review ? or your overall impressions of it..and would this now be the defacto...set to have ? thanks in advance
AgentCooper
Nutshell

Post by AgentCooper »

mousemeat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:28 pm I'm going to look for that Tara set...btw, if anyone on the forum purchases one, can you give us a say, mini review ? or your overall impressions of it..and would this now be the defacto...set to have ? thanks in advance
As I stated above, I think it’s as close to a throughly definitive Tara King blu ray set as we’ll ever get. I’m overwhelmed by the sheer volume of special features, and the episodes have never looked and sounded better. If you already have the blu ray box set from 5-6 years ago, I don’t know if it’s worth a double dip per se, but for those of us in parts of the world who never had access to them, it’s a very impressive set and there is a wealth of special features appearing here for the first time (many of them again, as with last year’s Emma Peel set, are pulled from the 2011 Avengers 50th celebration at Chichester, but also several new audio commentaries, as well, and the inclusion of Mr Jericho, Macnee’s post-Avengers 1970 TV-movie pilot).
Last edited by AgentCooper on Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.