Hit The Gas

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
unclefester
Little Wonder

Hit The Gas

Post by unclefester »

I know the series used lots of appropriate sound effects & dubbed dialogue were it was needed most often outdoors.

To that end I'm curious about the use of the stars vehicles inside the studio.

When the shot was clearly in-studio were the cars ever started and actually driven for a a few meters?

Or was the sound effects department tasked with dubbing in the car doors closing and engines engaging etc.?

Two clear examples - both from EPIC - are Emma and Steed departing for Fitzroy Lane and the hearse being driven forward in the graveyard scene.

If the vehicles aren't in fact running as I suspect how did the crew set them in motion? From the front with a rope or perhaps from behind with a broad shouldered crew member?
dissolute
The Ministry

Re: Hit The Gas

Post by dissolute »

There are numerous behind the scenes publicity stills showing Emma's Lotus up on wooden blocks for filming so it certainly wouldn't be moving for that. And there would be a lot of SFX dubbed over.
However, I would hazard a guess that the moving hearse in Epic was driven but it may have been on a dolly or pulled by the crew to guarantee the shot, but it certainly moves like it was under its own power.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Re: Hit The Gas

Post by Allard »

This is one of the reasons that give the first three series their vibrant energy. When -for instance- Honor Blackman rides her motorcycle in Build A Better Mousetrap it is very much real.

For the filmed series, now we have HD versions, aren't there any exhaust fumes visible?
That would be a definitive way to settle it.