valued Avenger item

Buy, Sell and Trade your Avengers items.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

valued Avenger item

Post by mousemeat »

This thread would be mostly geared towards my friends in the UK, etc...What item have you come across and bought, or at least wish you did at the time...Here in the States, the pickens were slim...when the series was first aired...and years later, when A & E put it out on first VHS, and later DVD, there were some posters, and trading cards...but nothing really fantastic.....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: valued Avenger item

Post by Frankymole »

For me I wish I had the comic strips, both the early ones (I had the Ian Hendry one from that TV Crimebusters annual) like the Honor Blackman newspaper strip I think they did, through Diana and the TV Comic ones with Tara King. I do have the annuals but don't read them much - maybe I should check them out this Christmas!

I'm generally a book person. I'd like to have the New Avengers novelisations to read.

A prized possession is the complete run of Stay Tuned and On Target 'zines. For a long time they were all the Avengers we had bar reruns, before videos.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

good point Franky....and I would also love to see a set of those zines...wondering if anyone does have a set ? or perhaps I can locate 'em on a web site, etc.....
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I'd quite like to own the Cathy Gale era novel by Douglas Enefer, no chance of getting that for a reasonable price.
Also the biography of John Steed (although said to not be very good) is never on sale second hand, and if and when at very high prices.

My most treasured possession next to the DVD's (just think about it an be grateful that we have that in stead of having to wait for repeats) are the limited edition prints with series 1/2 art work signed by Leonard White.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

I've never see that Cathy Gale book....nor have seen it for sale second hand..I suppose I'll try and google it up, and see it....I've actually seen that Patrick bio book...but only once...should have bought it, I did not....thinking it'll turn up again..alas, it has not...myself, I would love a set of the A & E posters..when the series went to VHS....and of course, a complete set of every AVENGERS trading cards, ever done...that would be grand !
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I bought the Cathy Gale Avengers novel by Doug Enefer from a dealer at a tv convention at Caister, Great Yarmouth 1995 when Linda Thorson was the star attraction. Was anyone else there :?: Brian Clemens was scheduled to appear but was unable to attend. It's a great little paperback. I didn't realise this was rare. I haven't got the John Steed novel which is always expensive on ebay. Allard says it's not supposed to be that good though, so maybe I'm not missing much :?: Does anyone have this novel? I've got the magazine from 1963 called Meet the Avengers which is quite rare I think. My prized bit of Avengers memorabilia is the Castle De'ath jigsaw from 1966. There were three other jigsaws and having those is my biggest memorabilia wish.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I don't own the "Jonathan Steed" biography by Tim Heald. I know Andrew Pixley uses it as one of the sources for the "The Avengers Files", which really IS a fine book and one of my treasured possessions - but reading between the lines he seems sceptical of some of the book's claims (doesn't it allege Steed went to school with James Bond??). Especially that name - our John is not a Jonathan!!
avengers files.jpg
avengers files.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Though, there is this from http://johnsteedsflat.com/bio2.html... I don't recall from Quick-Quick Slow Death how it is used, is it an alias?

"Trivia: Names

According to the 1971 stage version of "The Avengers", Steed's full name was "John Wickham Gascoyne Berresford Steed, a name never mentioned in The Avengers series

It's also mentioned in a fictionalised biography by Roger Davies in fanzine On Target Volume 2, Issue 4, page 3.

Tim Heald named him in the fictional biography 'John Steed. An Authorised Biography. Volume 1. Jealous in Honour' John Henry Wickham de Trafford Steed

That however does not match his name from the series where he is called 'John Steed'.

His friends Mark Clifford, Hal Anderson and Mother call him by his Christian name 'John', Steed introduced himself several times as John Steed, only the name 'Jonathan' Steed is mentioned once in episode Quick-Quick Slow Death."
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

great cover of that book by Tim Heald...is it rare now ? and boy. would I love to have seen that castle De'ath jigsaw puzzle...you guys get all the cool stuff....oops, that's the book by Andrew...damn, me bad....well, either of those publications, would be a fine addition to one's library
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Denis did a thread about Tim Heald: viewtopic.php?t=3386. Following the links leads to a review of the book, and some scans.

With a link to this blog post and a picture:
https://doyouwriteunderyourownname.blog ... d-rip.html
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

thanks for the links, etc...I do miss Denis on this forum..always had interesting insights