Emma Peel Tag Theme

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
rob2bob
Nutshell

Emma Peel Tag Theme

Post by rob2bob »

Just sharing a link to the iconic music of the tag!

https://www.televisiontunes.com/Laurie_ ... _1967.html

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to share a link.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Emma Peel Tag Theme

Post by mousemeat »

rob2bob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:20 pm Just sharing a link to the iconic music of the tag!

thanks for the heads up....TV theme tunes...how cool....a trip down memory lane ..
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

rob2bob wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:20 pm Just sharing a link to the iconic music of the tag!

Ooh, lovely stuff!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Wow, some themes I haven't heard in a long time in there - and many others I've never heard of.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Yes a bit of a rabbit warren of themes to explore!
For the Emma Peel tag I have no idea how that has been obtained in its full length. Not aware of any commercial release and none of the episodes have it in full either.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

rob2bob wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm For the Emma Peel tag I have no idea how that has been obtained in its full length. Not aware of any commercial release and none of the episodes have it in full either.
Not had chance to unravel this fully... but looking at my notes, this is a melody referred to as "Post Title Theme". There were three different versions of this recorded at a library music recording session for the colour episodes on 18 October 1966. "Version A" (31") seems to be used first at the end of "Epic" for the tag scene that seems to be set back at Emma's apartment. "Version B" (1'29") is first used in production sequence for the tag scene of "The Fear Merchants" (the first colour episode to be filmed and scored) while "Version C" (1'48") was heard at the start of the same episode for the opening 'Mrs Peel WE'RE NEEDED!' sequence.

I don't seem to have a note of a commercial release... so I assume that this has been assembled from the cleanest versions used on different episodes?

No idea if that helps or makes things more complex... but it's a lovely piece of music isn't it?

All the best

Andrew
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Wow that’s thorough Andrew. Thank you.

I love the catchy repetition in it. Takes me right back to seeing the colour episodes for the first time here in the UK on Channel 4 from 1983. I was only a teen but loved the series from first watch.

Quick postscript. I really love the Tara end tag too! That’s on The Rose & The Gun album by Laurie Johnson on Apple Music… track 6
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

rob2bob wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 pm Wow that’s thorough Andrew. Thank you.
Happy to help. That cue sticks in my mind because it's part of these two library sessions taped a few days after the score for "The Fear Merchants" (the first colour show)... and, as such, it was tricky identifying what the other "library" tracks to be dropped into other episodes actually were (indeed, even now, I'm not 100% sure I sorted them all).

To give you an idea of the fragmented nature of these sessions, the cues were:

Morning Session
Post Title Version Theme C
MP1 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Frank Elrick is attacked
MP2 - "The Winged Avenger" Act Two: Tay Ling waits for his midnight meeting
MP2A - "The Hidden Tiger" Act Four: Mrs Peel returns home
SP1 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Elrick attempts to escape up scaffolding
SP2 - "Escape in Time" Act One: Mrs Peel walks along the country lane
SP2A - unused
TP1 - unused
PP1 - "From Venus with L♥ve" Act Four: Steed bursts in on Primble
PP2 - "Escape in Time" Act Three: Steed and Clapham driving in the Bentley
PP2A - "Escape in Time" Act Three: Steed pulls up to consult map
FP1 - "Escape in Time" Act Two: Mrs Peel throws the fake Steed
FP2 - "The £50,000 Breakfast" Act Three: Mrs Peel is attacked searching Sir James' car
RP1 - unused
RJ1 - unused in the colour Diana Rigg episodes but featured in "Thingumajig"

Afternoon Session
Post Title Theme Version A
Post Title Theme Version B
American Ident - accompanying 'The Avengers in Color' caption on US prints
M1 - "Escape in Time" Act Four: Steed overpowers Sweeney in gardens
M2 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Four: Robin takes aim at Mrs Peel and Jordan
M2A - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Pearson shot by Verret
S1 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Steed and Mrs Peel arrive at Pearson's
S2 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Three: Mrs Peel struggles in the photo studio
S2A - "Escape in Time" Act One: Vincent falls into Steed's apartment
T1 - unused
P1 (released by KPM as "Chase That Car") - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Four: Mrs Peel fights Robin
P2 - "Escape in Time" Act One: Huntsman attacks Mrs Peel on motorcycle
P2A - unused
F1 - "Escape in Time" Act One: Mrs Peel deals with huntsman
F1A - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Four: Steed and Mrs Peel fight Cunliffe and Verret
F1C - "The Fear Merchant" Act Three: Steed names Mrs Peel
F2 - "Escape in Time" Act Four: Steed releases Mrs Peel
R1 - The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Two: Steed dines with Samantha
R2 - "Never, Never Say Die" Act One: Music on Whittle's car radio
Timp Rolls - unused
Bongo Rolls - "The Hidden Tiger" Act Two: Major Nesbitt's mixture bubbles
Marimba Rolls - "Escape in Time" Act One: Mrs Peel hears a motorcycle
I love the catchy repetition in it.
It's a great cue isn't it - and somehow captures that very specific flavour of the time.
Takes me right back to seeing the colour episodes for the first time here in the UK on Channel 4 from 1983. I was only a teen but loved the series from first watch.
That was the first time I'd had chance to see the full run - I'd seen odd examples of the colour Mrs Peel episodes during repeats in 1975/1976.
Quick postscript. I really love the Tara end tag too! That’s on The Rose & The Gun album by Laurie Johnson on Apple Music… track 6
Yes - at least that one's had a few different releases over the years! Referred to as 'Tag Scene', it was recorded with the score for "Invasion of the Earthmen" (the first Tara episode to be scored) on 9 January 1968.

Still hoping that we can get all the existing material released. Just wish it had happened while Laurie Johnson was still with us...

All the best

Andrew
rob2bob
Nutshell

Post by rob2bob »

Not fathomed out how to quote a post Andrew on here. But huge thank you and impressive knowledge base there. Cheers Robert
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Andrew Pixley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:33 am
rob2bob wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:42 pm Wow that’s thorough Andrew. Thank you.
Happy to help. That cue sticks in my mind because it's part of these two library sessions taped a few days after the score for "The Fear Merchants" (the first colour show)... and, as such, it was tricky identifying what the other "library" tracks to be dropped into other episodes actually were (indeed, even now, I'm not 100% sure I sorted them all).

To give you an idea of the fragmented nature of these sessions, the cues were:

Morning Session
Post Title Version Theme C
MP1 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Frank Elrick is attacked
MP2 - "The Winged Avenger" Act Two: Tay Ling waits for his midnight meeting
MP2A - "The Hidden Tiger" Act Four: Mrs Peel returns home
SP1 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Elrick attempts to escape up scaffolding
SP2 - "Escape in Time" Act One: Mrs Peel walks along the country lane
SP2A - unused
TP1 - unused
PP1 - "From Venus with L♥ve" Act Four: Steed bursts in on Primble
PP2 - "Escape in Time" Act Three: Steed and Clapham driving in the Bentley
PP2A - "Escape in Time" Act Three: Steed pulls up to consult map
FP1 - "Escape in Time" Act Two: Mrs Peel throws the fake Steed
FP2 - "The £50,000 Breakfast" Act Three: Mrs Peel is attacked searching Sir James' car
RP1 - unused
RJ1 - unused in the colour Diana Rigg episodes but featured in "Thingumajig"

Afternoon Session
Post Title Theme Version A
Post Title Theme Version B
American Ident - accompanying 'The Avengers in Color' caption on US prints
M1 - "Escape in Time" Act Four: Steed overpowers Sweeney in gardens
M2 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Four: Robin takes aim at Mrs Peel and Jordan
M2A - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Pearson shot by Verret
S1 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act One: Steed and Mrs Peel arrive at Pearson's
S2 - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Three: Mrs Peel struggles in the photo studio
S2A - "Escape in Time" Act One: Vincent falls into Steed's apartment
T1 - unused
P1 (released by KPM as "Chase That Car") - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Four: Mrs Peel fights Robin
P2 - "Escape in Time" Act One: Huntsman attacks Mrs Peel on motorcycle
P2A - unused
F1 - "Escape in Time" Act One: Mrs Peel deals with huntsman
F1A - "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Four: Steed and Mrs Peel fight Cunliffe and Verret
F1C - "The Fear Merchant" Act Three: Steed names Mrs Peel
F2 - "Escape in Time" Act Four: Steed releases Mrs Peel
R1 - The Bird Who Knew Too Much" Act Two: Steed dines with Samantha
R2 - "Never, Never Say Die" Act One: Music on Whittle's car radio
Timp Rolls - unused
Bongo Rolls - "The Hidden Tiger" Act Two: Major Nesbitt's mixture bubbles
Marimba Rolls - "Escape in Time" Act One: Mrs Peel hears a motorcycle
I love the catchy repetition in it.
It's a great cue isn't it - and somehow captures that very specific flavour of the time.
Takes me right back to seeing the colour episodes for the first time here in the UK on Channel 4 from 1983. I was only a teen but loved the series from first watch.
That was the first time I'd had chance to see the full run - I'd seen odd examples of the colour Mrs Peel episodes during repeats in 1975/1976.
Yes - at least that one's had a few different releases over the years! Referred to as 'Tag Scene', it was recorded with the score for "Invasion of the Earthmen" (the first Tara episode to be scored) on 9 January 1968.

Still hoping that we can get all the existing material released. Just wish it had happened while Laurie Johnson was still with us...

All the best

Andrew

amazing amount of cues..of course, many are familiar with many of us, who are 'students' of the series..of course, other series such as 'Twilight Zone ' and Saint / Danger man, also have cues, etc..

one of the strengths of the show, has been the composers..i.e.John Dankworth, Laurie Johnson, who took the time to write snippets of music, cues, etc and many of 'em, sound fresh & exciting as the day they were written and recorded...