Why Elizabeth Shepard Got Cut As Emma

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Why Elizabeth Shepard Got Cut As Emma

Post by Borgus Weems »

I believe that the true nature of exactly why Elizabeth Shepard got cut as the first Emma Peel is still shrouded in mystery. I have a theory about why, based on some of the production photos I've seen of her tied and astride a hobby horse, like this one.
lizz.png
lizz.png (362.51 KiB) Viewed 305 times
The Avengers had just lost Honor Blackman's Cathy, and they knew they needed to replace her. Visually, the hairstyle for Elizabeth's Emma looked exactly like Cathy, even with the red catsuit to appear different from Cathy's black leather ensemble. Based on nothing more than this, I have a hunch that they initially thought of Emma as more like Cathy in conception, but upon editing the shows they realized that Elizabeth was TOO similar in conception to the way that Honor played the role, and that the inevitable comparisons might be made and they needed to change the role more for somebody else to have any chance to succeed. Maybe she was about as good, or even better, but the comparisons might cause the show harm.

With Diana, they got one of the most formidable acting talents of the 20th century AND somebody who was wildly different from Honor.

What is definitively known about what happened to Elizabeth?
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Why Elizabeth Shepard Got Cut As Emma

Post by Frankymole »

Peter Graham Scott, the director of her first story, had more and more problems with her trying to take over the production, with her husband rewriting the scripts with her, and insisting on "improvements" like wanting a wrist-chronometer that would give Emma the answer to any question. She just became impossible to work with (not to mention her husband butting in), so they let her go. I got this from the horse's mouth, Peter Graham Scott himself, in 2005:

https://www.theunmutual.co.uk/pm2005.htm
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

When I corresponded with Liz a few years ago, I very much got the impression that the set up and production schedule for "The Avengers" simply didn't allow for cast input and didn't allow for collaboration. By comparison, if you take a look at her in Granada's amazing and extraordinary "The Corridor People", you can see why she felt so much more at home with this more experimental and involving piece of television.

All the best

Andrew
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, it definitely seemed there was some "personality clash" involved in how to approach making the show!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

She is supposed to appear at a convention close to me in the fall... I don't think I'll ask her directly, but if she reports anything about the Avengers I'll be sure to report it here!
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Borgus Weems wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:30 pm She is supposed to appear at a convention close to me in the fall... I don't think I'll ask her directly, but if she reports anything about the Avengers I'll be sure to report it here!
Ask her about "The Corridor People". She loved doing it and is very happy to talk about it.

Jaw-dropping stuff...

All the best

Andrew
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Andrew Pixley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 pm
Borgus Weems wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:30 pm She is supposed to appear at a convention close to me in the fall... I don't think I'll ask her directly, but if she reports anything about the Avengers I'll be sure to report it here!
Ask her about "The Corridor People". She loved doing it and is very happy to talk about it.

Jaw-dropping stuff...

All the best

Andrew

I'm sure she might have some interesting insights, about her being replaced...as well as her career...
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

The Corridor People is an awesome watch, and Sheppard shines in it. But it is a show too experimental to last for many more episodes.
Based on this, I have a hard time imagining Sheppard as an Avengers lady next to Steed to be honest.
Given the time it took to go from Blackman departing to the first episode with Rigg finally airing, we should probably allocate some blame to the producers who needed quite a time to know and do what they wanted.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard, my thoughts exactly....there wasn't enough time passed...going from the Honor / Diana era...and Elizabeth just didn't fit in..

of course, I have to wonder, WHY she was even considered, in the first place ?
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

mousemeat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:17 am Allard, my thoughts exactly....there wasn't enough time passed...going from the Honor / Diana era...and Elizabeth just didn't fit in..

of course, I have to wonder, WHY she was even considered, in the first place ?
I'll bet that the Corridor People gave production folks that she could take the Avengers into new areas!