The Avengers Vs The Paranormal

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

The Avengers Vs The Paranormal

Post by Borgus Weems »

In Too Many Christmas Trees, Steed and Peel come across a cabal of people who are using ESP to both steal secrets and kill remotely. This seems to edge the series into the realm of the paranormal and/or the supernatural.

Is this the only such instance of our heroes facing such a danger? I don't mean science fiction, but something that is apparently paranormal or supernatural in origin. I've not seen all of the pre-Cathy, Cathy, Tara, or New Avengers years, so there may be more examples out there!

If not, what does the board think of the Avengers tangling with these unknown forces? I personally think it's cool and part of the tapestry of story that makes up the wonder that is the Avengers!
CCrawford
White Dwarf

Re: The Avengers Vs The Paranormal

Post by CCrawford »

I haven't seen the episode in a few years, but "The Living Dead" had a ghostly vibe, as the local mine was rumoured to be haunted. I think the bad guys were promoting this in order to keep people away.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The Cathy Gale episode Warlock (which was intended to be her first meeting with Steed, before being partially rejigged prior to transmission and put later in the season) definitely has some "hexes" or curses which apparently come true, killing their victims, with no rational explanation given. As well as a bizarre visual effect of what looks like a spinning piece of melted metal overlaid on the picture when the curses take effect.

There is also a black magic ceremony and a ritual to invoke a demon near the end.

I won't spoil the episode for you by telling you what happens, needless to say the (literally) diabolical mastermind gets his comeuppance. Oh, and Cathy is of course an expert on grimoires and black magic as part of her anthropological knowledge, and gets her horoscope cast by an expert (she was born at midnight on October 5th...)

The New Avengers has Medium Rare, an episode involving a spiritual medium receiving messages. I can't remember a huge amount about that one.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Another reason to hope and dream that the Cathy years get released on a format I can easily attain here in the US! Warlock does sound interesting!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

the scuttlebutt is Lionsgate will licensed both the Emma & Cathy eras on blu ray..When the agreement that A & E had with studio canal. expired the A & E
product went out of print, and Lionsgate released standard DVD's of the Peel era..so I'm hoping that Lionsgate will step up and put that material out.
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Honorable mention for the Voodoo/Shirenzai in 'Small Game For Big Hunters"?
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death