What is known about The Mini-Killers/Diadem?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Geoff, Many Thanks! :) It is good to know that one of the old secrets is now revealed. :wink:
Denis
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

Dear Denis,

Thank you for your thorough research. These films were always a little mysterious to me.

I reviewed your original source and just wanted to clarify something: The article from the Hamburger Abendblatt (https://cloud.mail.ru/public/4GaY/2fixB6mEB) doesn't say Diana personally wanted to play her part by only imitating facial expressions.
denis rigg wrote: Filming of the series will begin in early September in Mülheim an der Ruhr. Emma, ​​who prefers theater rather than television or cinema, persuaded the manager that she would play her part by imitating facial expressions.
denis rigg wrote: 3. Diana personally wanted to play her part by only imitating facial expressions.
It states that: "Emma, die lieber Theater spielt, als auf Bildschirm oder Leinwand zu erscheinen, hat sich von ihrem Manager überreden lassen, eine Sensationsreporterin zu mimen."

This sentence can be translated to: "Emma, which loves playing theatre more than appearing on television or screen, has been persuaded by her manager to play a reporter". The word "mimen" is ambiguous in german. In this context it means "to play a character". But in other circumstances, it could actually be translated to "imitating facial expressions". But not in this case.

All the best,
SteedMonk
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

A better translation might be :
The new series will be shot on film.
Hamburg, august 28

Diana Rigg, the "driving force" Emma Peel from "The Avengers", wants to deliver a new film series into German living rooms. Her smart manager Jerome Banks decided not to restrict his star to television so gave permission for the character to be used in the ten-episode series of Super-8 film so that any movie projector owner could watch it at home.

Filming of the series will begin in early September in Mülheim an der Ruhr. Diana, who prefers theatre to television and film, convinced her manager to let her play the character. The first films will be on sale on September 28th from Photokina Köln. All episodes are individual films and will be filmed in color.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I would translate as:

"Emma, who prefers acting in the theatre over tv or film, has been persuaded by her manager to portray (the part of) a sensational reporter."

It definitely does not say that Diana Rigg persuaded her manager.
Although I can understand one would think a good manager would have tried to persuade her to not do this project. :D
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

Allard wrote:I would translate as:

"Emma, who prefers acting in the theatre over tv or film, has been persuaded by her manager to portray (the part of) a sensational reporter."

Although I can understand one would think a good manager would have tried to persuade her to not do this project. :D
Exactly :D
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

SteedMonk wrote:It states that: "Emma, die lieber Theater spielt, als auf Bildschirm oder Leinwand zu erscheinen, hat sich von ihrem Manager überreden lassen, eine Sensationsreporterin zu mimen."

This sentence can be translated to: "Emma, which loves playing theatre more than appearing on television or screen, has been persuaded by her manager to play a reporter". The word "mimen" is ambiguous in german. In this context it means "to play a character". But in other circumstances, it could actually be translated to "imitating facial expressions". But not in this case.
Dear SteedMonk

Many thanks for your amendment in one of the sentences in the translation of that article. :wink: Yes, that makes a difference now. At first glance it seemed obvious for me that there are talking about "imitating facial expressions", сonsidering that in these films Diana has no words and plays with the help of facial expressions. It was hard to think of anything else regarding the context of that phrase. I really appreciate that you paid attention to this article and made an amendment. Cheers! :)
Best wishes
Denis

Allard wrote:I would translate as:

Although I can understand one would think a good manager would have tried to persuade her to not do this project. Very Happy
That's how - it sounds logical now, unlike what I received through Google translator earlier with my good knowledge of only the Russian language. Funny, now I again began to translate this phrase through Google and indeed he writes persuaded by her manager rather than persuaded her manager. :D

Thank you Allard for your look at it and the amendment. :wink:

I hope that everything else that I translated is more or less true. :)

For example, if we look here: :wink:

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum
Denis