Exterior filming in Cathy Gale episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Exterior filming in Cathy Gale episodes

Post by ricardomartins »

Can somebody explain me why the exterior footage in Cathy Gale episodes look like silent films of Chaplin and Buster Keaton? People just seem to walk fast like it was lack of frames, just like in the silent flicks.

Why does this happen?

Many thanks.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Re: Exterior filming in Cathy Gale episodes

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

ricardomartins wrote:Can somebody explain me why the exterior footage in Cathy Gale episodes look like silent films of Chaplin and Buster Keaton? People just seem to walk fast like it was lack of frames, just like in the silent flicks.

Why does this happen?

Many thanks.
I don't know why exactly, but I do know that location filiming, like fight scenes, were the only ones to not be recorded "live," and were inserted into the episode later. They only got a set amount of time each episode though--something like 3 or 5 minutes--so perhaps they speeded it up to squeeze more in?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

ricardomartins wrote:Can somebody explain me why the exterior footage in Cathy Gale episodes look like silent films of Chaplin and Buster Keaton? People just seem to walk fast like it was lack of frames, just like in the silent flicks.

Why does this happen?

Many thanks.
They did not have the budget or resources to film the exterior scenes with sound. This was television is its infancy, not unlike soap operas of the time. The pinched budget extended to the studio scenes as well; walls move, cameras roll over cables causing visible shaking, etc. I love the early episodes regardless; I think the superlative acting and scripts more than compensate for the low production values. The later filmed episodes are wonderful, too, but the in-your-face intimacy of the early episodes makes for a special viewing experience.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

moorlock2003 wrote:

Why does this happen?

Many thanks.
They did not have the budget or resources to film the exterior scenes with sound. This was television is its infancy, not unlike soap operas of the time. The pinched budget extended to the studio scenes as well; walls move, cameras roll over cables causing visible shaking, etc. I love the early episodes regardless; I think the superlative acting and scripts more than compensate for the low production values. The later filmed episodes are wonderful, too, but the in-your-face intimacy of the early episodes makes for a special viewing experience.
Yeah, but why in exterior footage do they appear to walk/move faster than in the interior scenes? Is it because of bad lighting they had for the exterior?
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

It may have something to do with the video camera getting flicker from the way the shows were recorded. As I understand it, shows back then were broadcast live, but they sometimes used machines to make a film of the live broadcast, which introduces alot of visual noise into the image compared to modern devices.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

When we see the location film inserts on the videotape shows, what we're seeing is a film recording of the original footage. The videotape shows were recorded onto film for keeping (a process called Telerecording - pointing a film camera at a specially built TV screen and recording the output).

I don't understand the technical terms but when film is recording film they have to be properly aligned or you get a smearing effect.

The film work was done very quickly so they didn't always have the time to light them properly especially the night shoots.

The film location filming for Esprit De Corps does have sound but before that the soundtrack would be very basic as it was cheaper to just play sound effects over the footage.

Hopefully one day we'll see some properly restored recordings of the videotape years up to the standard shown for Girl on a Trapeze which looks wonderful. Restoration will certainly help to make the location film a bit clearer.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

The exterior shots in 'Don't Look Behind You' are charming for this very reason, especially when Steed jumps out the Bentley to pick flowers for Cathy :) The exterior scenes are so brief and scarce in the Blackman epsodes that each one is a little gem when they turn up.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Avengerholic wrote:The exterior shots in 'Don't Look Behind You' are charming for this very reason, especially when Steed jumps out the Bentley to pick flowers for Cathy :) The exterior scenes are so brief and scarce in the Blackman epsodes that each one is a little gem when they turn up.
I love those sequences like when they drive passed a pub and the drinkers all cheer, it's really charming.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Darren wrote:
Avengerholic wrote:The exterior shots in 'Don't Look Behind You' are charming for this very reason, especially when Steed jumps out the Bentley to pick flowers for Cathy :) The exterior scenes are so brief and scarce in the Blackman epsodes that each one is a little gem when they turn up.
I love those sequences like when they drive passed a pub and the drinkers all cheer, it's really charming.
I absolutely love those little scenes too :D
Avengerholic

Post by Avengerholic »

Darren wrote:
That one in particular is fantastic, and looks like it was completely off the cuff !!