The epitome of The Avengers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

The epitome of The Avengers

Post by cyberrich »

Which episode more than any other typifies The Avengers. For me it has to be The Cybernauts. This episode has everything. An equal measure of Steed and Emma in glorious monochrome. Witty dialogue, diabolical masterminds, great sets, great script, and not a wasted frame.
I imagine a lot of people will pick a season 4 episode (inc. Too many Xmas trees, Hour that never was, Death at bargain prices, etc.), all superb and 10/10 clearly insufficient, but Cybernauts wins hands down! :D
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Yes, count me in. The Cybernauts will not suit those fans who like a bit of silliness but to me it is the perfect episode. Wonderful mastermind, great guest characters all round and wonderful chemistry between Steed and Mrs Peel. Some people have said they actually prefer the NA Cybernauts episode which I find unbelievable. The original was such an intelligent hour of TV. Arguably Levene's finest hour.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

God, no. The episode is as lumbering as its titular robots, and predictable to boot. "The Town of No Return" is far classier, with more wit and menace and great direction. And odder characters. Music's better too. And the martial arts stuff in "Cybernauts" is just execrable.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I don't think there is one. I would say a compilation of The Town of No Return, The Hour That Never Was, The Cybernauts and Death at Bargain Prices...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

That's easy the best episodes of the Peel colour episodes. Why because this is a bit of a bland season and the most typical Avengers. The Gale era, the Tara King era and the especially the Peel Monochrome era produced a score of fantastic episodes, but the what makes an episode great is that it's has it's own feel to it and a certain uniqueness. That's why I think it's really difficulty to say which are typically best Avengers episodes.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

One of the greatest and more emblematic Avengers episodes ever.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: The epitome of The Avengers

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:Which episode more than any other typifies The Avengers. For me it has to be The Cybernauts. This episode has everything. An equal measure of Steed and Emma in glorious monochrome. Witty dialogue, diabolical masterminds, great sets, great script, and not a wasted frame.
I imagine a lot of people will pick a season 4 episode (inc. Too many Xmas trees, Hour that never was, Death at bargain prices, etc.), all superb and 10/10 clearly insufficient, but Cybernauts wins hands down! :D
i pretty concur..but death at bargain prices, is as good as it gets, as well...
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's probably The Town of No Return for me. It was my first episodes and just feels like how I'd love the Avengers to have been all the time. An atmospheric, isolated location with sinister characters up to no good. Great music. Just the right amount of quirk.

Brief for Murder is my epitome of the videotape Avengers. It has wit, style, flair, intelligence, it's wonderful.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

'Death at Bargain Prices', 'A Touch of Brimstone' & 'The Positive Negative Man' - they have EVERYTHING. The Avengers at its very best :D What ever happened to Michael Latimer ? He was my favourite guest artist.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

As I've said before, my absolute favorite is Too Many Christmas Trees for being quintesential Avengers. It had everything and the b/w just made it perfect. Coming in second was the House That Jack Built. These two episodes, for me, are the best of the best.