Random thoughts from the 2nd season (corrected)

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Random thoughts from the 2nd season (corrected)

Post by VA_Avenger »

Edit: My original subject said 1st season. It should have said 2nd. Hence, some of the comments below.

I hadn't seen Block 2 for a long time, but recently, I picked up the DVD set for all the Cathy years. So far, I've seen (in USA order): Mr. Teddy Bear, Propellant 23, The Decapod, Bullseye, Mission to Montreal, The Removal Men and The Mauritius Penny.

My observations follow, and all questions are rhetorical.
- I don't like Dr. King. Never will.
- I don't like Venus Smith. Never will. Bad choice on both.
- Were Venus' songs added just to fill out a short plot?
- Steed wearing a Fedora? Odd.
- Does Steed own more than one shirt? Other than the horizantal stripe with the white cuffs and collar?
- The prop department apparently needs more ties. I saw the same two ties in "Mission to Montreal" and "The Removal Men."
- Did everyone catch the paen to Los Angeles mobsters in "The Removal Men?" Dragna and Siegel were rivals in the LA mob in the 30's and 40's.
- Did Brits actually twist to jazz back in the 60's? Very, very odd.
- Steed's accent in the early series is very difficult for American ears. He has a much more clipped accent, and speaks way to rapidly - at least for me. He also has the disturbing habit of speaking the last bit of his line into a glass as he tossed down some drink or another. I had to run and re-run to understand many of his lines.
- Honor Blackman's accent has always been very difficult for me also - although I had no problems with it in Goldfinger.
- Did someone bring home a German P-38 handgun as a war prize? It shows up everywhere.
Last edited by VA_Avenger on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Just to be pedantic, this isn't season 1.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Edit: This post was my error.

Pedantry aside, I don't believe I said it was season 1. I said Block 2, referring to production block 2, which is obviously UK season 2, according to TAF.

Perhaps you were clarifying for others who might read this thread?
Last edited by VA_Avenger on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I think what Dandy's trying to say is that this is not the first season. Cathy Gale is introduced in the 2nd season, season 1 is with Ian Hendry.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Edit: Continuing error on my part. I DID miss something.

I don't see where I said anything to the contrary. Am I missing something?
Last edited by VA_Avenger on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
BitShifter
Thingumajig

Post by BitShifter »

VA_Avenger wrote:I don't see where I said anything to the contrary. Am I missing something?
Yes. The thread was titled "Random thoughts from the first season."
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

BitShifter wrote:
VA_Avenger wrote:I don't see where I said anything to the contrary. Am I missing something?
Yes. The thread was titled "Random thoughts from the first season."

not many episodes from the 'first' season, exist today...right ?
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Yep, I did say "First Season" in the subject. My bad.

"The Frighteners," "Girl on a Trapeze," and half of "Hot Snow" are on the Emma Peel megaset bonus disk. I've seen all of those. It was frustrating to lose "Hot Snow" at the break. It's like losing a novel halfway through.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

Have just seen Bullseye. It's a testament to Patrick Macnee that although his scenes with Cathy are brief, they are memorable! Cade is a wonderful character too!
Last watched: The Undertakers
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

The Removal Men

Post by Halfhide »

Some random thoughts on The Removal Men :-

Loved Julie Stevens' piano story in the DVD intro to this. These sort of personal recollections makes the extras so worthwhile!

There was a lot of gratuitous twisting in this episode! :lol:

Once again, sparkling dialogue between Steed and Venus in the nightclub. A pity Venus wasn't given more to do in this story.

The filmed inserts of the staircases was very well done, and very Avengers!

Still haven't quite recovered from Steed rubbing suntan lotion on One-Ten's back. I think that goes above and beyond the call of duty. Well, if my boss asked me to do that.......

The musical interlude with the Dave Lee Trio (good as it was) just distracted from the story and slowed the pace. It reminded me of the musical interludes they had during classic BBC radio comedy series like The Goon Show and Round The Horne - and they were equally distracting! :cry:

And yes I know you probably all know this already, but it suddenly dawned on me why Julie Stevens was so familiar - she appeared in the BBC's Play School in the 70s (this was a children's TV show). Here's a clip of her in action (2:57 into the clip if you can't bear to watch all that wibbly-wobbly action :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAPjRWGhLeM
Last watched: The Undertakers