Something nasty in the nursery-have your say

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Something nasty in the nursery-have your say

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched Something nasty in the nursery. I think this an excellent underrated episode. It's cast list reads like a who's who of British tv sitcoms. (Yootha Joyce, Clive Dunn, Trevor Bannister and the excellent Paul Eddington.) Imagine this one in monochrome. I think this would have fitted in with season 4 quite well. Those scenes in the cellar were genuinly creepy, as were the scenes with the 'nanny' behind the veil talking to Steed. Also, the scene with Emma fleeing the car in the car park was brilliantly choreographed. Whoever said season 5 was lacking in quality episodes could do with viewing this and the preceeding episode (A funny thing happened)
RATING 10 OUT OF 10. 10TH BEST SEASON 5.
Last edited by cyberrich on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I think you've got a point. This episode isn't one of the most memorable of it's season because it doesn't really excel in any field. But it is just a very decent and a good episode. Last time I watched I was a bit surprised how much I enjoyed it.

The problem with it is, that it seems to be a typical season five episodes and theme of this one is Nursery, as we have had cats, trains, birds... That's the feeling season five sometimes gives me. The theme was leading in the making of the episode and not the story.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

And we almost had a scene with Penelope Keith (like Fog with David Lodge, she was still credited but absent from the screened episode).

I was rather disappointed by this episode when I finally saw it (in the channel 4 90's repeat run). I'd read the synopsis and was really excited to see it but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I don't care much for James Hill's direction. That scene in the cellar should be much better than it is, the music is awkward (cut in from other episodes) and doesn't really achieve anything. Nothing wrong with the script but it just isn't presented with any flair or style. It's not bad, just disappointing.

What with the talk of monochrome, this episode would have been wonderful in b/w, probably really creepy.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

One of my Season 5 favourites which would have suited Season 4, as you say. I love the music, the malevolent toys and it has a real sense of style. Possibly too British to appeal to anyone else. Only one writer could have created this one. I love it.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:I think you've got a point. This episode isn't one of the most memorable of it's season because it doesn't really excel in any field. But it is just a very decent and a good episode. Last time I watched I was a bit surprised how much I enjoyed it.

The problem with it is, that it seems to be a typical season five episodes and theme of this one is Nursery, as we have had cats, trains, birds... That's the feeling season five sometimes gives me. The theme was leading in the making of the episode and not the story.
a very good point...and under rated..
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Only 4 responses so far. Didn't this one hit the right buttons with most of you then? Love to know what the rest of you think.
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Not one of my favorites but it does have some terrific moments in it that I liked very much.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

I like this one a lot, and always have done since the original (edited) Channel 4 screening; I think it was one of the first shows they screened in an earlier slot on Sunday evenings. I like the style and sillyness of this one a lot, and the guest stars are great. The demise of Clive Dunn is one of the most fun killings in the show's run, and I love the surreal sequence of the machine-gun toting nanny pursuing Steed in her electric wheelchair. Yes - definitely one of the shows that I'm always happy to watch.

All the best

Andrew
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:I think you've got a point. This episode isn't one of the most memorable of it's season because it doesn't really excel in any field. But it is just a very decent and a good episode. Last time I watched I was a bit surprised how much I enjoyed it.

I'm probably one of the few fans, who really don't find this episode
interesting...was never a fave of mine...then and now..
Polymath
Nutshell

Post by Polymath »

This one has its' moments.

I do enjoy watching Steed deal with the crying babies.

I find it interesting to note, though, that Goat doesn't realize Steed is wearing gloves when he first sees him come out from behind the tower of blocks.

Plus, that unanswered plot point of what happened to Nanny Roberts after Emma finds her has always bothered me, as well.