Dave Rogers' books

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Allard
The Ministry

Dave Rogers' books

Post by Allard »

Is there anyone among you who can tell how many different Avenger books Dave Rogers has published?

I own a book simply called "The Avengers" which features some background information but mainly episode synopsis for all the episodes.

I was wondering if there are other Dave Rogers books or if it is just the same one with a different cover?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There are a bunch of them.

The Avengers (1983)
Avengers Anew (1985)
The Complete Avengers (1989)
Ultimate Avengers (1995)
and
Patrick's Avengers And Me (1998) co-written by Rogers

Each book essentially upates the previous edition. The 1983 edition misses a New Avengers programme guide.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

He also did one with Gillis. The Avengers Companion ??
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Ah yes. Still waiting volume two! :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Ah yes. Still waiting volume two! :wink:
:lol: You'll be waiting a long, long time :wink:
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Thank you for your help. (more information is still welcome)
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I got The Complete Avengers in about 1993. Back in the days when there were only a few Lumiere videos and I was a long way from having seen those that were released, this was my only access to the episodes. Some of them sounded so thrilling and exciting and creepy.

Some episodes consequently couldn't live up to my imagination having read the synopsis. The "Never, Never, Say Die" synopsis was based on a earlier draft script - I think that probably explains why I didn't enjoy the transmitted episode so much.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There are a bunch of them.

The Avengers (1983)
Avengers Anew (1985)
The Complete Avengers (1989)
Ultimate Avengers (1995)
and
Patrick's Avengers And Me (1998) co-written by Rogers

Each book essentially upates the previous edition. The 1983 edition misses a New Avengers programme guide.
Is it wrong that I have all of these (and the Rogers and Gillis guide)? Actually, each of his books has some unique material, if only when it comes to the pictures. There's even a tiny bit of little-heard TNA stuff in the first one.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Not up to concocting very long postings at present, but here's an overview of Dave's episode guide books to "The Avengers" I did a while back:

Okay - here's my overview of Dave's titles.

"The Avengers" (ITV Books, 1983)
A very important book. Black cover with shots of Steed, Tara, Emma and Cathy. This is largely episode synopses taken from the ABC press packs (which in turn were based on the original scripts and outlines which in some cases such as "Never, Never Say Die" - as Dave points out - were substantially different from the finished shows). There were also cast lists and at the front of each season of synopses a page or two of background and context. There was a brief overview of "The New Avengers", the stage play and the merchandise.

"The Avengers Anew" (Michael Joseph, 1985)
A slim, large format blue book with three cover shots of Steed and Emma emerging from a grating in "The Town of No Return". This contains synopses and cast lists for "The New Avengers", a piece on the show in the USA, extracts from a number of scripts ("Never, Never Say Die", "The Bird Who Knew Too Much" and "Game"). a short piece on stunt work, a listing of the cars and motorbikes in the series, a chronology giving production dates for Series 2, 3, 5 and 6 and some rather bizarre tx dates for Series 2 to 6, subtitles to the Emma Peel episodes, a more detailed merchandise guide and a rather bizarre alphabetical A to Z of every actor who had appeared in the series which wasn't cross-indexed in any way. Oh, and lots of b/w photos.

"The Complete Avengers" (Boxtree, 1989)
The original UK cover of this shows Steed's bowler, brolly and carnation with cut-outs of Emma, Cathy and Tara, while the US edition - if memory serves me correct - had the chessboard scene from the 1966 US episodes. This is effectively a combination of elements from the previous two books with the synopses to both "The Avengers" and "The New Avengers" in tx order. However, in the introductions to each season, there is now substantially more production information and these chapters are vastly expanded. Production and tx dates have now been added for Series 1, but not for "The New Avengers". The section on the stage show is expanded and there is now a short piece on the radio series. There is then an extract from Brian Clemens' "Reincarnation" revival script and versions of the vehicles and merchandise listings from "The Avengers Anew".

"The Ultimate Avengers" (Boxtree, 1995)
This is a smaller book with a large shot of Steed and insers of Emma, Cathy, Tara and Purdey. The production histories have now been expanded upon even more with quotes from those involved, and the episode entries have been totally rewritten - I believe by Chris Perry of Kaleidoscope who later placed these on line. The episodes are now vaguely in production order with production dates (if only approximate and apart from "The New Avengers") and transmission dates. The synopses on these are now very short teaser items rather than a full styoryline with conclusion. Stage and radio versions are again covered with extracts from "The First Avengers Movie" and "Reincarnation", a piece on the making of "Dead Man's Treasure" with some basic location details, plus the usual items on stunt work, vehicles, and merchandise.

Hope that's of use.
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I was at a local used bookstore tonight and actually found a copy of "The Avengers" (the 1983 book). It was only $5.99 and is in fairly good shape. I previously only had the US version of "The Complete Avengers".

Now I just need to locate a copy of "Ultimate". 8)