The Joker-have your say

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

The Joker-have your say

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched The Joker. Surely one of the best colour episodes, and one to rival the best of season 4. Diana gave a tremendous performance in this episode. It almost has the feel of a stage play. It's also very Hitchcockian. The psychological episodes were always the best(Stay tuned, Too many Xmas trees, etc). I believe this used the same set as Superlative seven, which seems strange as Seven always looks a bit on the cheap side to me, whereas Joker manages to belie it's budget. Probably the darkest of all the colour episodes, but not without it's light moments, the best one being Steed's Bentley bumping into the signpost in thick fog. (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.) I wish there'd been more like this. How do you all rate this one?
RATING 10 OUT OF 10. 5TH BEST SEASON 5.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

5/5 or 10/10

Easily one of my favourite episodes from series 5. Of course it's Don't Look Behind You with a few adjustments here and there. Clemens' Hitchcock influences loom large. Sidney Hayers' direction is wonderful. I love B/W but this works well as a colour episode as it has a perfect atmosphere to carry it. Laurie Johnson's score is inspired. Diana Rigg gives one of her best performances from the season after some going through the motions at times.

I love this episode but that doesn't stop me loving Don't Look Behind You just as much. Both being strong examples of their respective series.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

I actually prefer 'Don't look Behind You' although Ola is far better played by Sally in 'The Joker' :wink:
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Another one of my favorite episodes, though the story line has been done many times..(woman alone in large house, mysterious sounds, etc.), the acting was extremly well done as were the shots. Not much to complain about with this episode at all.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Personally I prefer 'Don't Look Behind You' to 'The Joker', but that doesn't mean I don't love this one. I think it's definitely one of the best colour episodes, with amazing acting by Diana, and the music is fantastic as well.
This is an episode that works well both in colour and B&W, and with both Diana and Honor.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

kim wrote:Another one of my favorite episodes, though the story line has been done many times..(woman alone in large house, mysterious sounds, etc.)
Indeed. It's a Brian Clemens staple. I love the understated ending when Steed turns up and she tossles his hair.

This is one one Diana's best acting jobs, even if it's The Avengers and not Hedda Gabler or something.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

Love this episode. Very well done. Stylish and scary.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Philippa wrote:Personally I prefer 'Don't Look Behind You' to 'The Joker', but that doesn't mean I don't love this one. I think it's definitely one of the best colour episodes, with amazing acting by Diana, and the music is fantastic as well.
This is an episode that works well both in colour and B&W, and with both Diana and Honor.
I would have to concur with the above, pertaining to 'DON'T ' but the Joker ain't too shabby...one of the best of the colour era. which I feel pales to the monochromes...
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

One of my faves - 10/10 here! :D
MaccaJack
Nutshell

Post by MaccaJack »

I LOVE this episode.

I was terrified, and still am scared as I watch it..

Its such an atmospheric, spooky episode, and was coincidentally like the first episode I ever saw, and loved it.

Sally Nesbitt was just knockout, what a terrific performance.