Honor in a Western

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Honor in a Western

Post by VA_Avenger »

A cable channel had this old "western" on this evening. Set in New Mexico, U.S.A., the stars were Sean Connery, Brigitte Bardot, Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins, Honor Blackman and Peter van Eyck - to name a few.

Honor was Lady Julia Daggett, and met her untimely end at the hands of an Apache indian who forced her to choke on the diamond necklace she tried to bribe him with.

This cast in a western is the rough equivalent of Harrison Ford playing Henry VIII and Sandra Bullock as Anne Boleyn. Excellent actors, wrong places.

Odd, indeed.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Very odd indeed.
Here's a small clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjdhQAF5vk
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Honor in a Western

Post by mousemeat »

VA_Avenger wrote:A cable channel had this old "western" on this evening. Set in New Mexico, U.S.A., the stars were Sean Connery, Brigitte Bardot, Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins, Honor Blackman and Peter van Eyck - to name a few.

Honor was Lady Julia Daggett, and met her untimely end at the hands of an Apache indian who forced her to choke on the diamond necklace she tried to bribe him with.

This cast in a western is the rough equivalent of Harrison Ford playing Henry VIII and Sandra Bullock as Anne Boleyn. Excellent actors, wrong places.

Odd, indeed.
was the film shalko ? I think it was the first post Bond film for Connery.

despite the hype, did no business at the box office, at least in the USA.

weird, british actors doing an western...
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

mousemeat wrote:
VA_Avenger wrote:A cable channel had this old "western" on this evening. Set in New Mexico, U.S.A., the stars were Sean Connery, Brigitte Bardot, Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins, Honor Blackman and Peter van Eyck - to name a few.

Odd, indeed.
was the film shalko ? I think it was the first post Bond film for Connery.

despite the hype, did no business at the box office, at least in the USA.

weird, british actors doing an western...
I think it was 'Shalako' yes. Remember Diana (Rigg) also wanted to do a western when she went over to the States to do 'Diana' - it was her original idea to be a sherriff...and then she was nearly in 'Paint Your Wagon' - but strange that British actors would be in a wsetern. Howver, if you think about it there would have been quite a few British over there in real life...
moorlock2003
Thingumajig

Post by moorlock2003 »

Everytime I watch another programme with Honor Blackman in it, I keep hoping for a hint of Mrs. Gale to emerge, but alas she's only in The Avengers. Such was the strongly-defined character. Blackman was in an episode of "Danger Man" and also "Invisible Man" (the late 1950s series). In the former she's an English rose and the latter she's a blind woman who must help The Invisible Man catch a crook. She was just so great as Mrs. Gale it's almost difficult to watch her in anything else.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

DiVicenzo wrote:Remember Diana (Rigg) also wanted to do a western when she went over to the States to do 'Diana' - it was her original idea to be a sherriff...
They should have listened to her. A (sitcom, I presume) Western series would have been a lot more original than the erstaz Mary Tyler-Moore series she ended up doing.

I could see Diana Rigg in a 'Calamity Jane' outfit quite easily.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

It's guaranteed that Diana would be a vast improvement over the original . . .

<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
DiVicenzo wrote:Remember Diana (Rigg) also wanted to do a western when she went over to the States to do 'Diana' - it was her original idea to be a sherriff...
They should have listened to her. A (sitcom, I presume) Western series would have been a lot more original than the erstaz Mary Tyler-Moore series she ended up doing.

I could see Diana Rigg in a 'Calamity Jane' outfit quite easily.
I think the producer(Leonard Stern?) 'Diana's said in an interview which is online somewhere that they should have gone with Diana (Rigg's) idea....she was also going to be the boss of the fashion business in 'Diana' but it was said that the public couldn't accept a woman as the boss....if I can find the interview I will post the link.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

I have the audio on my computer but how would I share it on the Forum? Is it on your site Helen?? It's a very pro-Diana Rigg interview I am glad to say :D