Your favourite location

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Your favourite location

Post by cyberrich »

I've always loved the village location in Murdersville, which also appeared in Dead man's treasure. I was watching the Saint this week (I forget the title, the one about cryogenics) and there was the village again. Not sure of it's name, but it must have been the most used location in British tv history. I'm sure I saw the same village in a more recent tv show. I'm sure someone out there knows where this is. Has anyone visited it and is it as nice as it look. What's your fave location in the Avengers?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's called Aldbury and it's my favourite too. I used to have it as my sig.

Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldbury

Other favourite locations were 'Hamelin' from The Hour That Never Was (Bovingdon Airfield) and Diana being thrown about on the bridge at Tyke's Water Lake, Elstree from You Have Just Been Murdered, and also used for the Tara King opening credits...
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

Aldbury was also used in the '60's war film The Dirty Dozen.

Just noticed the link with the New Avengers episode title too.

One of my absolute favourite Avengers locations was the taget range in Target! Pinewood Sanitorium.

Brings so many childhood memories flooding back.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Aldbury is definitely one of the locations I want to visit when I'm finally able to make it out to the UK!
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's called Aldbury and it's my favourite too. I used to have it as my sig.

Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldbury

Other favourite locations were 'Hamelin' from The Hour That Never Was (Bovingdon Airfield) and Diana being thrown about on the bridge at Tyke's Water Lake, Elstree from You Have Just Been Murdered, and also used for the Tara King opening credits...
Yes, can't forget Tykes Water used in loads of episodes and even in 'The Mrs Bradley Mysteries' with Diana amongst others...benn there quite afew times and it hasn't changed at all just like Aldbury. Been to Bovingdon a couple of times too - they have a weekly outdoor market there too :D
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I love Beachy Head where All Done With Mirrors was filmed. I visited it a year ago and the weather was fantastic. I tried to re-enact the motorbike scene with my girlfriend but she wasn't having any of it;):).
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

Aldbury is always worth a visit, but I was disappointed the pond is now covered in reeds and vegetation.

Letchmore Heath ( Dead Man's Treasure etc) is worth a visit and good for a pub lunch - often used by the actors who work on Holby City.

I also like the Shenley Triangle, near Shenley Hall, seen in many episodes.

I have been near to Tykes Water Bridge, but it is down a private lane.

Anyone know who you need to contact to get permission to visit?
I would love to go there.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Aldbury. Thanks. I couldn't remember the name. I think it's near Hertfordshire. I've just remembered it was Inspector Morse that was also filmed here more recently. This is the sort of place I would love to live in. Without all the film crews and murders of course! Have to start saving the pennies I guess.
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

cyberrich wrote:Aldbury. Thanks. I couldn't remember the name. I think it's near Hertfordshire. I've just remembered it was Inspector Morse that was also filmed here more recently. This is the sort of place I would love to live in. Without all the film crews and murders of course! Have to start saving the pennies I guess.

And Shillingbury Tales series was based there.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/b.htm

Aldbury

THE AVENGERS: Dead Man's Treasure (Sidney Hayers: June 1967)

Arriving at Swingingdale, Mrs Peel (Diana Rigg) and Mike (Norman Bowler) are the first to find the clue 'Galding - Mr Smith's Hammer' in a removal van.

THE CHAMPIONS: The Experiment (Cyril Frankel: June 1967)

Craig and Richard's car arrives at a village pub as they search for a lead on Sharron.

THE AVENGERS: Murdersville (Robert Asher: August 1967)

Hubert (John Ronane) and Mickle (Colin Blakely) ignore a murder outside the pub of Little Storping-in-the-Swuff. Frederick Williams (Andrew Lawrence) arrives at the village. Croft (Eric Flynn) goes to the Public Library and Reading Rooms. Mrs Peel (Diana Rigg) finds Hubert and Mickle in her car, and follows Dr. Haymes (Ronald Hines) to his surgery. Mrs Peel finds herself surrounded by Prewitt (John Sharp), Jenny (Sheila Fern), Hubert, Mickle and Haymes and is pursued to a farmyard. Haymes and the villagers duck Mrs Peel in the village pond.

THE SAINT: The Desperate Diplomat (Ray Austin: 1968)

Simon arranges to meet Sara at the village of Penbridge after her escape.

THE SAINT: The Man Who Gambled With Life (Freddie Francis: August 1968)

Simon drives his Volvo through a village as he searches for the destination of the Longman's helicopter.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY