Murdersville-is this the best season 5 episode?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Murdersville-is this the best season 5 episode?

Post by cyberrich »

This week I watched Murdersville. I think this could well be the best of the colour Mrs Peels. My fave in this season varies between 3 or 4 episodes, but after watching this one again I was mightily impressed. Stellar performance from Diana. If only she's have had the chance to display this depth of character in a few more episodes. The village location was terrific. The best one of all in fact. On the downside, this was a solo vehicle, so not much of Steed. A few flaws in the script, such as Emma running into the middle of an open field while being chased by the chopper. We all know she was way too clever for such a mindless reaction. All in all though, a superb episode. What do you think?
RATING 10 OUT OF 10. 2ND BEST EPISODE IN SEASON 5.
Last edited by cyberrich on Sat May 09, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

One of the best of the entire series, without doubt my favourite of season five. Lovely English village bathed in sunshine with a very dark secret. A vicious, greedy bunch who deserve everything they get and two of the nastiest villains in Mickle and Hubert, who seem more evil because their sadism is so casual. I also enjoy the villagers assuming Emma's just some ordinary girl then gradually realising that she's not.

In Emma's defence she had to keep moving. She would have naturally assumed that some of the villagers were chasing her on foot.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Definitely one of the best and I wish people wouldn't obsess about Emma running through that field - it's an action sequence and Diana looks great!
It is rather upsetting when we see Paul has been murdered and that's a great sequence when Emma picks up the phone to hit the 'doctor' - you feel for her and say 'Go on!'.
Then you have the amusing parts where Emma calls Steed 'Johnsey-onesy' etc and the part in the museum in the chastity-belt and the silly pie throwing end....great Avengers stuff!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I have never been able to get into this episode due to the tone. In some ways it's feels too real. The glee that those two guys get from smashing all Paul's stuff and the pure sadistic delight for the sake of it. I suppose in some ways it just feels like it lacks the fantasy element and what we're watching feels like it could be real. And the size of the people involved, a whole village of "ordinary people"! I like a darker element to the odd Avengers episode but I can't get any pleasure from this episode.

I hate that babygrow that Diana has to wear in this episode (the one that changes colour when in a car:)).

It's well made and acted, nice to see Diana Rigg really going for it. I'm not keen on Robert Asher's direction, it lacks the style that I look for in Avengers episodes.

No not a fan of this one.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Oh gosh! I can't stand this episode. Sorry. Although it's dark and in some ways quite clever, it's let down by too many plot holes. Just a couple of things that irritates me: If the village 'goodies' have been tied up in the library all that time, they look remarkably clean! And not one of them appears to have needed the toilet since being locked in the stocks. Perhaps they're released several times a day to wash, shave, change, use the toilet, eat, get their hair done... And if the 'bad' villagers are that ruthless, then why didn't they just kill them all instead of locking them up in the library any way? Er.... And isn't it a bit daft that cold blooded killers, who bump off anybody for a price, suddenly get squeamish about ducking Mrs Peel in the pond? I could go on....
skintp
Nutshell

Post by skintp »

Well if I wanted to reappear (as another character?) in future episodes of one of the hottest shows of the 60s, I'd be squeamish about ducking Diana Rigg too!!! :lol:
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Johnny O wrote:Oh gosh! I can't stand this episode. Sorry. Although it's dark and in some ways quite clever, it's let down by too many plot holes. Just a couple of things that irritates me: If the village 'goodies' have been tied up in the library all that time, they look remarkably clean! And not one of them appears to have needed the toilet since being locked in the stocks. Perhaps they're released several times a day to wash, shave, change, use the toilet, eat, get their hair done... And if the 'bad' villagers are that ruthless, then why didn't they just kill them all instead of locking them up in the library any way? Er.... And isn't it a bit daft that cold blooded killers, who bump off anybody for a price, suddenly get squeamish about ducking Mrs Peel in the pond? I could go on....
O, Johnny, Johnny... the villagers aren't the killers, they take payments from people to allow them a green light to kill whomever they want in the village. They couldn't bring themselves to kill their neighbours when they refused to be part of the scheme.

Oh, and this is Sixties TV - no-one goes to the lavatory (does that even happen nowadays?)
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Murdersville might be the best season 5 episode.

------
Last watched: SUPER SECRET CYPHER SNATCH
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:I have never been able to get into this episode due to the tone. In some ways it's feels too real. The glee that those two guys get from smashing all Paul's stuff and the pure sadistic delight for the sake of it. I suppose in some ways it just feels like it lacks the fantasy element and what we're watching feels like it could be real. And the size of the people involved, a whole village of "ordinary people"! I like a darker element to the odd Avengers episode but I can't get any pleasure from this episode.

I hate that babygrow that Diana has to wear in this episode (the one that changes colour when in a car:)).

It's well made and acted, nice to see Diana Rigg really going for it. I'm not keen on Robert Asher's direction, it lacks the style that I look for in Avengers episodes.

No not a fan of this one.
I have mixed feelings about this one...But I guess if push comes to shove, I like it..sure the plot has holes..but this is the avengers....many shows also had questionable plots glitches...etc

Paul's mate..was a hoot at the pub....enjoying a few pints, and then recoiling in horror, as his boss man's items are smashed to bits..

lotta black humour in the episode...
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

dissolute wrote:
Johnny O wrote:Oh gosh! I can't stand this episode. Sorry. Although it's dark and in some ways quite clever, it's let down by too many plot holes. Just a couple of things that irritates me: If the village 'goodies' have been tied up in the library all that time, they look remarkably clean! And not one of them appears to have needed the toilet since being locked in the stocks. Perhaps they're released several times a day to wash, shave, change, use the toilet, eat, get their hair done... And if the 'bad' villagers are that ruthless, then why didn't they just kill them all instead of locking them up in the library any way? Er.... And isn't it a bit daft that cold blooded killers, who bump off anybody for a price, suddenly get squeamish about ducking Mrs Peel in the pond? I could go on....
O, Johnny, Johnny... the villagers aren't the killers, they take payments from people to allow them a green light to kill whomever they want in the village. They couldn't bring themselves to kill their neighbours when they refused to be part of the scheme.

Oh, and this is Sixties TV - no-one goes to the lavatory (does that even happen nowadays?)
Er... I don't think so! But I will be more than happy to stand corrected. I watched the episode about a month ago and the villagers did commit some of the murders. They murdered Paul's Bat Man for example and there's a scene in the pub where one of them takes a rifle, goes outside and shoots someone, then comes back in and carries on drinking. Alas though, I'm not prepared to go and watch it again to check. Sorry.