Avengers on the Radio

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Details of the Avengers radio series December promotion available here:

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/whats_new.htm
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Avengers Radio Series Downloads Service to End

It is with regret that I have decided to withdraw The Avengers radio downloads service as of January 30th 2013. The service has become time consuming to administrate - a victim of its own success in many ways. To order the complete surviving serials before the deadline, please send a Paypal payment for £10 by 'personal payment owed' to this email address: [email protected] (noting the all important underscore between 'alan' and 'hayes'!). These are all high quality 320KB/s MP3s recorded at CD sampling rates and are mastered from the restored uncompressed audio files produced by myself direct from the off-air reel to reel tapes. When ordering, please give an email address to which you would like the files sent (delivery is by emails containing download links). Links are ordinarily supplied within an hour of payment. It may be possible to extend the service until early February, but this is not guaranteed.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I've pulled a string or two and have been able to extend the downloads service until February 15th, so if anyone is interested in restored copies of the radio series, this is pretty much the last chance saloon...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I listened to The Joker this evening and, well, if anyone's looking for some Halloween listening, I can recommend it. I find The Joker pretty spooky to watch, but somehow it's even creepier when it's audio only--and they don't even have Peter Jeffrey's deranged looking eyeball peering through walls to rely on! The people behind the radio show really knew what they were doing--I'm continually amazed at their ability to put fresh spins on the episodes.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

And the radio downloads look like ending on Friday, so if anyone's interested, you need to drop me a line this week.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Resuming my radio series listening after (much) too long (life got in the way again--it's making a real habit of that :wink: ), and I'm just stunned at how good it is all over again. It really is, for my money, the best version of the show outside the TV series. You don't need Patrick and Diana--Donald Monat and Diane Appleby are Steed and Emma, unquestionably, even though they've put their own spin on them. I see from Alan's site that the radio series downloads are due to expire by the end of the month. If you haven't got them yet, I really can't recommend them enough. They really are that good.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, they're great fun and obviously made with love - and restored with even more love!

Practically essential for all but the most casual fan :)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

I’ve been listening to episode 2 of ‘A Grave Charge’, the bit when Helen recognises a man in a photo and remembers what happened to her. There’s about 30 seconds when the radio signal faded away and then returned, and I wanted to find any of the dialogue that could be heard.

Helen - Radio version :
Audibly “Oh no, no, no, Oh, yes he’s dead, he’s dead on a train. Peter… Peter, Peter my dog and that man, that man, oh no, argh! …I, I remember (thank you). It was late. I had my dog Peter with me on the train. He was travelling with me, but he had to spend the night in the guards van. I was all ready for bed in my sleeping car when I wondered if Peter was all right. He, he could be hungry or knocked his water over, anything. I wanted to be sure and so I went along the corridor to the guards van, to find out. It was dark. The whole train was asleep. I made my way along the dimly lit corridor and into the guards van. There was Peter, so pleased to see me. “Ah now, now Peter there, there’s a good dog. There, I brought you some food. Look here you are, that’s it. I’ve got plenty of water. Good boy”. I knew that there was a coffin at the back of the guards van but the knowledge didn’t scare me. I’m not at all the spooky type. But I was aware of it, all the same. I told myself that dead men can’t hurt you. I put Peter down near his box, patted him “there, there Peter, be a good dog. Go to sleep”, and turned to go”.

Faded bit: “...? … and slowly………….........….?...he was a ? man. We fell against the door of the van, which slid open. I fell against the edge of the opening. The man pushed me hard. I tried to find a grip on the wood. I couldn’t. I remember screaming as I fell out into the wind and the darkness”

And more audibly again “Argh…It was him, the man in this photograph. I’m quite sure of it. This is the man and he is alive”…

(Helen – TV version, for comparison :
“No, No, he’s dead, he’s dead. On a train – my dog – argh. It was late. I had my dog on the train with me. He was travelling in the guards van and I got up and I went to the guards van to feed him….argh! It was him, this man here.”)

I liked finding what was audible in the bit that fades (as I’ve never turned up the volume at that point). Maybe more can be made out? It turns out that Helen’s dialogue at the end of the faded bit turns out to be a very similar description to the scenes of Helen being pushed out of the train in the well-known TV version. Also, I suppose, although it’s Helen talking as it fades away and when it returns we can’t rule out that there was a line from another character in there.

Although I only set out to find what I could in the faded bit, another thing also strikes me now, having been reminded how it was done on TV; the radio version is very suspenseful!
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rhonda wrote:I’ve been listening to episode 2 of ‘A Grave Charge’, the bit when Helen recognises a man in a photo and remembers what happened to her. There’s about 30 seconds when the radio signal faded away and then returned, and I wanted to find any of the dialogue that could be heard.

Helen - Radio version :
Audibly “Oh no, no, no, Oh, yes he’s dead, he’s dead on a train. Peter… Peter, Peter my dog and that man, that man, oh no, argh! …I, I remember (thank you). It was late. I had my dog Peter with me on the train. He was travelling with me, but he had to spend the night in the guards van. I was all ready for bed in my sleeping car when I wondered if Peter was all right. He, he could be hungry or knocked his water over, anything. I wanted to be sure and so I went along the corridor to the guards van, to find out. It was dark. The whole train was asleep. I made my way along the dimly lit corridor and into the guards van. There was Peter, so pleased to see me. “Ah now, now Peter there, there’s a good dog. There, I brought you some food. Look here you are, that’s it. I’ve got plenty of water. Good boy”. I knew that there was a coffin at the back of the guards van but the knowledge didn’t scare me. I’m not at all the spooky type. But I was aware of it, all the same. I told myself that dead men can’t hurt you. I put Peter down near his box, patted him “there, there Peter, be a good dog. Go to sleep”, and turned to go”.

Faded bit: “...? … and slowly………….........….?...he was a ? man. We fell against the door of the van, which slid open. I fell against the edge of the opening. The man pushed me hard. I tried to find a grip on the wood. I couldn’t. I remember screaming as I fell out into the wind and the darkness”

And more audibly again “Argh…It was him, the man in this photograph. I’m quite sure of it. This is the man and he is alive”…

(Helen – TV version, for comparison :
“No, No, he’s dead, he’s dead. On a train – my dog – argh. It was late. I had my dog on the train with me. He was travelling in the guards van and I got up and I went to the guards van to feed him….argh! It was him, this man here.”)

I liked finding what was audible in the bit that fades (as I’ve never turned up the volume at that point). Maybe more can be made out? It turns out that Helen’s dialogue at the end of the faded bit turns out to be a very similar description to the scenes of Helen being pushed out of the train in the well-known TV version. Also, I suppose, although it’s Helen talking as it fades away and when it returns we can’t rule out that there was a line from another character in there.

Although I only set out to find what I could in the faded bit, another thing also strikes me now, having been reminded how it was done on TV; the radio version is very suspenseful!
I agree the radio version is in many ways more suspenseful or at least very different than the visual. But I thought that the dialogue was exactly the same as the show. :?:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

anti-clockwise wrote:I agree the radio version is in many ways more suspenseful or at least very different than the visual. But I thought that the dialogue was exactly the same as the show. :?:
There are definitely differences as the scene with Helen being taken and pushed out of the train has no dialogue in the TV episode. It's very good drama in both!
Ron
Last Watched : Angels Of Death