Avengers on the Radio

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I quite agree! Though even Steed 'n' Cathy on telly are scorching Sahara-hot compared to the cryogenic Fiennes/Thurman interactions... is chemistry even possible at Absolute Zero? ;)
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the great review, Franky, and for the purchase, which extends the offer by another two weeks. So you're doing others a service too!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Thanks to a couple of purchases, the deal can now be extended until November 23rd, so anyone who is interested, please drop me a line.

As the topic has now gone to a new page, here's a reminder of the offer:

I am offering three variants (with commercials, without commercials, or both).

One version is £1.00 per serial, both is £1.50 per serial. (All serials: £19.00 one version, £28.50 both versions)

For a limited time, I am running a promotion on the 'both versions' edition - a discounted price of £20.

Escape in Time (Eps 1-3; only surviving episodes) is a free bonus with any order and there’s an additional free surprise bonus (about 30 mins duration) if you order more than one serial.

These files are near-CD quality, 44.1KHz 320kb/s MP3s made from the restored masters.

If you're interested, drop me a line via email - [email protected]
or send me a private message here.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: Are radio Steed and Emma identical to their TV counterparts? No, but that's the point. They're recognisable, but Donald Monat and Diane Appleby put their own spin on the characters, just the way the writers put their own spin on the TV episode plots. In many ways, it feels like Avengerland canted slightly to the side (and how Avengers is that?) It's essentially an Alternate Universe Avengerland. Steed is Steed, but with a slightly wrier sense of humour. Emma is Emma, but, given that some of the stories were originally written for Tara, is a bit of an Emma/Tara hybrid--this Emma is actually an official, trained agent, part of the Ministry's institution. We also get another take on Mother, who in some ways comes across more like Steed's Gale era superiors, like One-Ten. Oh yes, and there's a narrator, who occasionally steps out of the parameters of his role and comments on the wisdom of the protagonists' next move.
So in this 'alternative 1972 Avengers' Steed and Emma are getting it on and there is no Tara. Interesting idea.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: Are radio Steed and Emma identical to their TV counterparts? No, but that's the point. They're recognisable, but Donald Monat and Diane Appleby put their own spin on the characters, just the way the writers put their own spin on the TV episode plots. In many ways, it feels like Avengerland canted slightly to the side (and how Avengers is that?) It's essentially an Alternate Universe Avengerland. Steed is Steed, but with a slightly wrier sense of humour. Emma is Emma, but, given that some of the stories were originally written for Tara, is a bit of an Emma/Tara hybrid--this Emma is actually an official, trained agent, part of the Ministry's institution. We also get another take on Mother, who in some ways comes across more like Steed's Gale era superiors, like One-Ten. Oh yes, and there's a narrator, who occasionally steps out of the parameters of his role and comments on the wisdom of the protagonists' next move.
So in this 'alternative 1972 Avengers' Steed and Emma are getting it on and there is no Tara. Interesting idea.
That's my reading of it, anyway. When I first watched the series, it never occurred to me that Steed and Emma were any more than close friends. I can understand the arguments for SEDDI, but I'm still not 100% convinced--I think I side with Diana Rigg on that one. Which goes to show I'm not really predisposed to see it. But radio Steed and Emma...yeah, that one even jumps out at me. :wink: Works beautifully, though--another example of the different, but entirely believable, dynamic.

I have no idea if Tara is still around, or if she's just been absorbed into radio Emma completely. There are actually touches of Cathy to her as well, I think--which goes to show if you mash your Avengers girls together, you don't necessarily get Purdey, no matter what Brian Clemens would have you believe. :wink:

Have you ever listened to the radio series, Dandy?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's my reading of it, anyway. When I first watched the series, it never occurred to me that Steed and Emma were any more than close friends. I can understand the arguments for SEDDI, but I'm still not 100% convinced--I think I side with Diana Rigg on that one.
What is DDR's view? Mine (re: TV) is that she was tempted... and given another year or two without Peter, she might have wanted to marry a "reformed" Steed (I don't see her as a sex-outside-of-wedlock type, given her attitude towards the "cultural exchange" with Olga From The Volga); which is one step up from Cathy "I wouldn't touch him with yours" Gale who I think Steed lusted after far more. I certainly do not agree with Brian Clemens's view that they were old flames who had had a torrid affair including sex in the past and were now cool. Yes, they were best friends; but there's no indication that the old itch has died out. But Emma was above consummating it without a ring on her finger, "liberated" or not. She would've worn the trousers and Steed would've been "Mr Peel" anyway.

As to Gambit and Purdey - I think the "one of these days, Mike Gambit" was a promise. Purdey could tease, but she wasn't a sadist. One of these days, they will.

Oh, and as for that day when Dr Martin King and Venus Smith shared their frustrations... well, that's one for me and my fanon :)

Of course, as everyone realises, Mother and Rhonda were at it hammer and tongs.

As to Cathy in the radio-Emma... the words she had to say about manipulative-Steed in the last part of "The Fantasy Game" were totally Cathy, dripping with imminent threat... poor Steed! His hide is gonna be shredded (though interesting to speculate on how literal she meant the talons-getting-in stuff... sounded pretty realistic to me). If either Emma or Cathy had gone on into the 70s, the relationship could well have been like this - closer, but therefore much more dangerous (for Steed!). Really interestingly done.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
That's my reading of it, anyway. When I first watched the series, it never occurred to me that Steed and Emma were any more than close friends. I can understand the arguments for SEDDI, but I'm still not 100% convinced--I think I side with Diana Rigg on that one. Which goes to show I'm not really predisposed to see it. But radio Steed and Emma...yeah, that one even jumps out at me. :wink: Works beautifully, though--another example of the different, but entirely believable, dynamic.

I have no idea if Tara is still around, or if she's just been absorbed into radio Emma completely. There are actually touches of Cathy to her as well, I think--which goes to show if you mash your Avengers girls together, you don't necessarily get Purdey, no matter what Brian Clemens would have you believe. :wink:

Have you ever listened to the radio series, Dandy?
Yes, I have some of the CDs but I've not listened to them in a while. I will get round to them again soon though.

I've always been interested to see an alternative take on the show. Indeed I was happy to take the concept of the Avengers movie on board, in spite of my feelings and opinions on the result. It's a bit like taking Marvel heroes from the comic page onto film; it still works fine even if they are 'creative' with the source material. As long as the final product is good. Look at the way Doctor Who has evolved and indeed Sherlock.

I think you could take The Avengers the other way and set it in the Victorian era. I know there was a fan idea that attempted to do that. It was mentioned on here, was it "The Unconventionals" or something? There was certainly a Batman graphic novel called Gotham by Gaslight which had Bruce Wayne set in the 19th century that I liked.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:What is DDR's view? Mine (re: TV) is that she was tempted... and given another year or two without Peter, she might have wanted to marry a "reformed" Steed (I don't see her as a sex-outside-of-wedlock type, given her attitude towards the "cultural exchange" with Olga From The Volga); which is one step up from Cathy "I wouldn't touch him with yours" Gale who I think Steed lusted after far more. I certainly do not agree with Brian Clemens's view that they were old flames who had had a torrid affair including sex in the past and were now cool. Yes, they were best friends; but there's no indication that the old itch has died out. But Emma was above consummating it without a ring on her finger, "liberated" or not. She would've worn the trousers and Steed would've been "Mr Peel" anyway.

As to Gambit and Purdey - I think the "one of these days, Mike Gambit" was a promise. Purdey could tease, but she wasn't a sadist. One of these days, they will.

Oh, and as for that day when Dr Martin King and Venus Smith shared their frustrations... well, that's one for me and my fanon :)

Of course, as everyone realises, Mother and Rhonda were at it hammer and tongs.

As to Cathy in the radio-Emma... the words she had to say about manipulative-Steed in the last part of "The Fantasy Game" were totally Cathy, dripping with imminent threat... poor Steed! His hide is gonna be shredded (though interesting to speculate on how literal she meant the talons-getting-in stuff... sounded pretty realistic to me). If either Emma or Cathy had gone on into the 70s, the relationship could well have been like this - closer, but therefore much more dangerous (for Steed!). Really interestingly done.
Diana's take was that they didn't, that it was "one of those flirtations that spin off into infinity," which is more in keeping with how I viewed it. I never doubted their affection for one another--if Steed ever loved anyone, it was Emma--but I got the sense that they knew they had a good thing going, and didn't want to spoil it. I don't see Emma being particularly bothered by the idea of sex outside marriage, but I don't actually see her marrying Steed, either. Had Peter never turned up, I see them keeping each other company for the rest of their days in a relationship of perpetual ambiguity. Maybe they got on with it, and maybe they didn't, but whatever happened, they'd never tell...

Purdey, I think, knows where her feelings lie, but is in serious danger of not admitting them to herself until it's too late--like, say, as Gambit's bleeding out on the floor. If she manages to get over her umpteen issues before that happens, then yes, they'll get to it. :wink:

I think I may be traumatised by the idea of Mother and Rhonda, and oddly intrigued by the idea of Venus and Dr. King. :wink:

When I first listened to the radio version, I actually thought Emma seemed more Cathyesque than Emmaish--sometimes Diane Appleby's delivery can lend itself more to Honor's sharp retorts than Diana's more winsome wit--but depending on the episode she can vary--there are definitely splashes of Tara floating around in there as well. She's certainly not a straight transplant of the TV version. And this may be simply down to close proximity in production, but I always imagine Donald Monat's Steed would bear more than a passing similarity than Simon Oates' take in the stage play, but I have absolutely nothing to back that up. There's another alternate Avengerland I would have liked to see, even if it was terrible.

Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Yes, I have some of the CDs but I've not listened to them in a while. I will get round to them again soon though.

I've always been interested to see an alternative take on the show. Indeed I was happy to take the concept of the Avengers movie on board, in spite of my feelings and opinions on the result. It's a bit like taking Marvel heroes from the comic page onto film; it still works fine even if they are 'creative' with the source material. As long as the final product is good. Look at the way Doctor Who has evolved and indeed Sherlock.

I think you could take The Avengers the other way and set it in the Victorian era. I know there was a fan idea that attempted to do that. It was mentioned on here, was it "The Unconventionals" or something? There was certainly a Batman graphic novel called Gotham by Gaslight which had Bruce Wayne set in the 19th century that I liked.
The radio series is great because it proves exactly that--it is possible to create a viable, enjoyable version of the series that feels fresh and like its own entity, even as it reuses the same characters, while still being strongly recognisable as Avengerland. But it needs to be done in the right spirit and with the right people behind it. I don't know how the radio series people managed it, but they knew just the right balance to strike. I really think the lack of visuals helps it, though--it's much easier to accept someone else as Steed when you're not tied up evaluating how he sizes up to Patrick. This way you can build your own picture around Donald Monat's voice and delivery. If they did radio, and then switched to TV, he'd probably be accepted instantly. This is why I tend to think TV (or movie) remakes aren't the way to go. If they did more radio today, I think it would do well (sadly not with the original radio cast as Diane Appleby is no longer with us. :( )A novel would work much the same way. But they're not as lucrative I suppose.

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

It's absolutely fascinating to see the radio series dissected (and positively) for the first time in a good long time.

Interesting what has been said about 'radio Steed' and 'radio Emma' being more obviously 'getting it on' than their television equivalents. The scripting and performances certainly lead to that conclusion.

Anyone fancy writing a piece for Declassified based on what's been said here? I'd be very interested in running such an article and it'd be better coming from someone other than me, being a radio series evangelist of many years practice!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger