Avengers on the Radio

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Timeless writes very eloquently about the series - I'd love to read more! My own lack of experience with it precludes me adding much, though I am going to be enthusiastically listening to more and will gladly participate in chats/posting here and any views for each story as they come up, if little 'listener reaction' comments or asides are wanted.

It's such enjoyable bedtime listening that I can see it becoming a habit; might even get me back in to old-time radio, as I have a raft of other shows like Sherlock Holmes that I've neglected. Not until I've exhausted Steed 'n' Emma though! I might get a reputation for late-night chuckling - again last night I couldn't stop myself. Steed's a real card, but Emma has his number. Oh yes.

If there are more scripted hints of Steed and Emma being more than just close colleagues, I eagerly look forward to them. I'm an old romantic.

Finished off "The Fantasy Game" last night. I love it with the adverts, the pacing is great and the performances are both arch and warm, with appropriately sexy and deadly emphasis at the right points - it really is more of classic 'The Avengers', capturing the spirit perfectly but not being a copy. Alan's clean-up work is amazing (and so I'm really grateful to him for allowing me to access this little-known niche of Avengerland); I know tape recordings of this period - my uncle was a keen radio-taper in the early 70s, and to get such tapes to modern standards is quite an achievement. I have not heard the earlier versions but these are immediate, clear and HUGE FUN!
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Frankymole wrote:Alan's clean-up work is amazing (and so I'm really grateful to him for allowing me to access this little-known niche of Avengerland); I know tape recordings of this period - my uncle was a keen radio-taper in the early 70s, and to get such tapes to modern standards is quite an achievement.
You are too kind. Your compliment has warmed the cockles of my bowler. :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:Timeless writes very eloquently about the series - I'd love to read more!
You're very kind, Franky. :D These things just rattle around in my brain and occasionally get typed up. I shall try to knock something more together as time permits. :)

I listened to half of Get-A-Way last night. I think I enjoy the music almost as much as the actual story--some industrious soul went and sourced a piece of music to reflect the plot of each episode. And I find myself humming along to the jaunty little piece they play in the background as the narrator informs us that we're at "Episode 2 of this story, in which Steed..." and so on. 8)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Yes, considering the breakneck speed at which these were recorded - a serial would generally be recorded in one day and where possible effects would be played in live (often by the actors!) - they are superb. And don't forget that at the same time the studio was producing several other continuing serials.

The fact that what was produced is of such a high quality - and bouncing with life and invention - is testament to the skills and dedication of those involved in putting the series together.

A timely reminder of the intro that Donald Monat kindly recorded for me about ten years ago:

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/down ... eeting.mp3
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I get tired just thinking about it. :shock: Kudos to all the fabulous radio people working away behind the scenes for putting together such a polished product. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I like the idea of Monat as Steed perhaps fiddling about with "foley" bits and bobs - gravel, doorknockers etc - whilst trying to recite his lines. Probably didn't happen like that though (I expect usually it'd be the smaller part players?).
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I would imagine that all the actors mucked in. Remember that the 'supporting players' were often stars of other radio series and Donald and Diane would be 'supporting players' on their shows.

Quite likely Donald would have added live foley for scenes he wasn't appearing in.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:Thanks to a couple of purchases, the deal can now be extended until November 23rd, so anyone who is interested, please drop me a line.

As the topic has now gone to a new page, here's a reminder of the offer:

I am offering three variants (with commercials, without commercials, or both).

One version is £1.00 per serial, both is £1.50 per serial. (All serials: £19.00 one version, £28.50 both versions)

For a limited time, I am running a promotion on the 'both versions' edition - a discounted price of £20.

Escape in Time (Eps 1-3; only surviving episodes) is a free bonus with any order and there’s an additional free surprise bonus (about 30 mins duration) if you order more than one serial.

These files are near-CD quality, 44.1KHz 320kb/s MP3s made from the restored masters.

If you're interested, drop me a line via email - [email protected]
or send me a private message here.
hmmm, I'm thinking hard.....
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Worth mentioning that the promotional price is due to expire this Friday, unless there's a purchase to extend it by two weeks...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Anyone interested in an extra special Christmas price on full set of The Avengers radio series downloads, drop me a PM.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger