The Avengers Declassified - TheAvengers.TV Website

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Thanks, matey. :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Main event of the day!
Today many different memories swept over in connection with my old emails with Alan and long travels on his excellent fantastic website The Avengers Declassified, which has become for long years one of favourite places for many Avengers fans.
Alan has always done excellent research in various Avengers fields and was a master of surprises. And I'm sure he stayed like that. It started with the Avengers radio series (who would have thought that we would be able to get acquainted with records that were considered lost), cooperation with David K. Smith (and a magnificent editorial on his website when Alan was his deputy), Mike Noon (with whom he created several important resources) and many other Avengers figures, with which ultimately he produced excellent products (including this forum). Where life was and is boiling, Alan was and is there. :)
In addition to the detailed books about the first season of the series, Alan created a kind of historical monument of the generation of Avengers fans in the form of the diary Avengerworld, which over the years will be more interesting to reread. :)

Today's event, I see, as a logical concluding round of Alan's activities related to the Avengers. Well, Alan had previously hinted at me several times about his resignation in connection with various things, and when it became known about the release of the episode Tunnel of Fear on DVD, in a strange way I even began to feel that this is "the last detail of the puzzle" in which Alan will participate. That is, in some way the release of the episode inspired thoughts about "closing the circle". I feel this now too.

Despite I assumed that the site The Avengers Decladdified would simply remain frozen, I'm really much appreciated by Alan's official statement about the closing of the "cult" resource, as in the first place it makes a good step to Avengers fans relative that there was not hopes for a long wait for news.

Of course, the situation with the site and the resignation of Alan can not help but lead to sadness for the Avengers fan, but for everything there is a time. No one can know for sure how long he will be involved in this or that sphere of activity, even if it seems you have full confidence in this. Life goes on, and calls for many interesting things. If it's time to change the role - it means such a scenario of life.
I'm glad that Alan found other field of activity in which he receives as much pleasure as before from the series. And this is true happiness, when you sincerely do what is close to you at the moment, than what you do because think you must.

Many Thanks to good man and friend named Alan Hayes!!!
Denis
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Thanks, Denis my friend.

Yes, I was beginning to think it was time to 'come clean' and reveal to visitors that the site was indeed frozen, as for the last couple of years my heart has not been fully invested in it, but I didn't want to make a definitive statement until I was absolutely sure of my direction.

I have to be honest, it feels like a weight off my shoulders. I don't see it so much as a "resignation" as a retirement.

As you say, writing in the DVD booklet of Tunnel of Fear is a nice way to round off this chapter of my creativity.

I'm grateful to people like you for the exciting times we had researching the series and sharing our discoveries, not caring for international or political borders - and Avengerworld was a celebration of that as much as it was of The Avengers itself. It should have been where I bowed out, but whoever thought we'd get Tunnel of Fear back, eh? :)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Alan

I fully understand your reasons for freezing The Avengers Declassified and I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to continually keep updating and adding news to the site, and I think these ongoing responsibilities of running such a venture can make things become a chore. I’m a firm believer in doing what you like if you enjoy it and when the enjoyment stops, then it can become a pain to continue and perhaps its time to go and do something else. Personally, when I finished my book on The Avengers, I decided to step back from the series a little and do other things. I used to eat, drink, sleep and breath The Avengers and I still enjoy the series, but only when I want to.

The Avengers Declassified is one of the very best sites devoted to The Avengers… no, I’ll rephrase that statement… it is one of the best sites on the net full stop! There is a huge amount of Avengers information there and anyone who visits can see that there has been an enormous amount of research and writing to assemble a comprehensive archive devoted to the sixties television classic. You can definitely be proud of the site and what it contains.

Many thanks for plugging Bowler Hats and Kinky Boots on The Avengers Declassified. What people do not generally know is that you played a major role in making my book as impressive as it was and I thank you for all your input and assistance. Without your involvement the book would have been somewhat less impressive.

As you mention, you do have other interests and now you are a published author of several books and also a publisher, plus you appear to have ventured into getting involved with events and so I’m sure you’ll be more than busy in the future. I get the impression that you are never bored and always working on something of interest and wish you well on all future projects.
Last edited by MikeR on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Mike, you are too kind. Always a gentleman, an inspiration and a good friend. Thank you.

Sadly won't see you at all over the Hunt weekend as we are otherwise engaged.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

Alan

Great shame that I will not be seeing you and Alys over the Treasure Hunt weekend. However, enjoy yourselves and I'll try my best NOT to win the actual treasure hunt.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

The Avengers Declassified: Nipped and Tucked

Today, for the first time since 2018, I've been busy updating The Avengers Declassified. However, it's not quite the update that some might have hoped for - the idea behind it is to streamline the site for the future. This is what I've said on the What's New page:

"Eagle-eyed visitors will spot from today that The Avengers Declassified is somewhat slimmed down. When I closed this site in 2018 (further details down the page), I left it with major gaps in its coverage. The site had become a monster, and the amount of work required to finish it all off to my satisfaction was dragging me down and overwhelming me. There were whole seasons that lacked episode guide pages - indeed out of 187 episodes only 52 had been completed since the site was launched in 2009 - and there were sections that for many years had 'coming soon' emblazoned on their introduction pages, something which proved to be quite untrue! Additionally, 26 of those 52 episode guide pages had been superceded by the publication of my book with Richard McGinlay and Alys Hayes - Two Against the Underworld - to the point where their pages on the website were wildly out of date compared to the information presented in the book.

What this is leading to is that I have taken the decision to do a nip and tuck operation on Declassified, the idea being that the parts of the website that were not even half finished have been taken down, namely the episode guide pages (leaving the production and broadcast information for each era), as well as the Big Finish, StudioCanal and Avengernews sections, the latter two of which were no longer linked from the site in recent years anyway.

This leaves a leaner, more to-the-point 400-page Declassified, which presents the researches and features that were at least mostly completed: the transmission information (UK and international), full details of the radio series, stage show and fan animations, plus the Little Wonders and Avengerweb sections along with all the features that were in the Stay Tuned and Dead on Arrival areas. It is quite possible that some of the excised material may well find its way back onto the site in the Stay Tuned section over the coming months.

I realise that this development will be disappointing to some Avengers fans, but in terms of the continued existence of The Avengers Declassified, I felt that these were necessary changes, however unpalatable the idea of losing content might seem. I hope that at least visitors will understand why I felt it important to perform this update.

Best wishes and health and happiness to all Avengers fans.

Alan Hayes"

http://www.declassified.hiddentigerbook ... /index.htm

I expect to make small updates in the future, to bring what's left more up to date.

All the best to everyone at the forum. Keep well!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

A heads up to all here - hello!

In case anyone still stops by The Avengers Declassifed, it's moved with all my other sites to a new home:

http://www.culttv.uk/

Please note that the contact email has also changed as a result.

Happy Easter! 8)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

denis rigg wrote:Main event of the day!
Today many different memories swept over in connection with my old emails with Alan and long travels on his excellent fantastic website The Avengers Declassified, which has become for long years one of favourite places for many Avengers fans.
Alan has always done excellent research in various Avengers fields and was a master of surprises. And I'm sure he stayed like that. It started with the Avengers radio series (who would have thought that we would be able to get acquainted with records that were considered lost), cooperation with David K. Smith (and a magnificent editorial on his website when Alan was his deputy), Mike Noon (with whom he created several important resources) and many other Avengers figures, with which ultimately he produced excellent products (including this forum). Where life was and is boiling, Alan was and is there. :)
In addition to the detailed books about the first season of the series, Alan created a kind of historical monument of the generation of Avengers fans in the form of the diary Avengerworld, which over the years will be more interesting to reread. :)

Today's event, I see, as a logical concluding round of Alan's activities related to the Avengers. Well, Alan had previously hinted at me several times about his resignation in connection with various things, and when it became known about the release of the episode Tunnel of Fear on DVD, in a strange way I even began to feel that this is "the last detail of the puzzle" in which Alan will participate. That is, in some way the release of the episode inspired thoughts about "closing the circle". I feel this now too.

Despite I assumed that the site The Avengers Decladdified would simply remain frozen, I'm really much appreciated by Alan's official statement about the closing of the "cult" resource, as in the first place it makes a good step to Avengers fans relative that there was not hopes for a long wait for news.

Of course, the situation with the site and the resignation of Alan can not help but lead to sadness for the Avengers fan, but for everything there is a time. No one can know for sure how long he will be involved in this or that sphere of activity, even if it seems you have full confidence in this. Life goes on, and calls for many interesting things. If it's time to change the role - it means such a scenario of life.
I'm glad that Alan found other field of activity in which he receives as much pleasure as before from the series. And this is true happiness, when you sincerely do what is close to you at the moment, than what you do because think you must.

Many Thanks to good man and friend named Alan Hayes!!!

hear ! hear ! well said, Denis....and to Alan, well done..thank you for your time, etc..
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:A heads up to all here - hello!

In case anyone still stops by The Avengers Declassifed, it's moved with all my other sites to a new home:

http://www.culttv.uk/

Please note that the contact email has also changed as a result.

Happy Easter! 8)
btw, I just surfed over to Alan's new site, well, new to me...cult tv uk..

looks great....I'll scope it out. later..

happy easter, everyone