Honor Blackman

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Frankymole wrote:Honor is rather good in this as a vampire hunter... dressed in leather with a very Cathy Gale taste in hats!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56ngay
Ah that's a blast from the past! I'd forgotten about that show. I'll see if the other episodes are around.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

cyberrich wrote:I watched Diamond City (1949) starring Honor Blackman recently. I have to say it was the worst film I have ever seen her in. I do remember her being interviewed and she bemoaned many of her early roles. It was a pretty awful role she had to play here, very saccharine with not much depth. It must have been Manna from heaven when she got the part of Cathy Gale. Post Avengers, Honor's roles improved significantly. Pussy Galore is the best Bond girl (along with Tracy Di Vicenzo). She was also terrific in Life at the top and Shalako, and practically stole the show in Dagger of the mind, my favourite Columbo movie.
familiar tale of woe...many actors, actresses, etc.often got stuck in horrible films / TV programs, early on...especially if they were trying to jump start their careers, or pay the rent, etc...for Years, Paul newman, would wince, when the local TV station in L.A. , would air his first film, the golden chalice, (??) Newman actually took out a newspaper ad, moaning that film....and offered to buy up every print of that film..LOL !
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

I watched yesterday A Night to Remember with Honor Blackman (and Laurence Naismith and David McCallum...); she is the mother of 3 and her husband has to stay on the Titanic. A very good movie (better than Cameron's version for me).
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

A Night To Remember has an amazing cast. Some later-to-be-much-more-famous faces in early roles... Cameron's "Titanic" (with it's cheesy love story nonsense) stole many of the same camera shots and angles.
Last watched: "Mandrake"
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Well done to David McCallum for cso-starring with so many Avengers ladies, too! Honor in A Night to Remember, Joanna Lumley in Sapphire and Steel, Diana Rigg in Mother Love... did he ever do something with Patrick Macnee?

Edit: silly me, of course there was the Man From UNCLE reunion film, "The Fifteen Years Later Affair".
Last edited by Frankymole on Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:A Night To Remember has an amazing cast. Some later-to-be-much-more-famous faces in early roles... Cameron's "Titanic" (with it's cheesy love story nonsense) stole many of the same camera shots and angles.
there was two more Titanic films....one from 1958......and a german version of it..late 30's, very early 40's.........and i believe it's out on dvd...

and still the other from 1953...........also add several TV / Cable productions as well...
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Remembering the magnificent Honor on her birthday. I'm so glad to be enjoying her first series again, after a long gap they seem very fresh.

mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:A Night To Remember has an amazing cast. Some later-to-be-much-more-famous faces in early roles... Cameron's "Titanic" (with it's cheesy love story nonsense) stole many of the same camera shots and angles.
true....but cameron shooting in color, and using at the time, state of the art, CGI....and it looked well, despite the cheese-ola...love story...the two earlier films...1953, and 1958, had better script/story...and of course, all three pretty much had the same ending....
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Honor in color...

mousemeat

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:Honor in color...

great pict...of course, she was at her peak..as pussy galore in Goldfinger....and I still crack up..when watching 'too many xmas trees' when Steed muses out loud, ' Mrs. Gale...I wonder what she's doing at Ft.Knox....

Diana Dors, was another UK star in the 50's....