Who gave the best performance?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Which Avengers lead actor gave the best performance?

Patrick Macnee
52%
Honor Blackman
15%
Diana Rigg
25%
Linda Thorson
3%
Joanna Lumley
No votes
Gareth Hunt
No votes
Ian Hendry
No votes
Julie Stevens
No votes
Jon Rollason
3%
Patrick Newell
2%

Total votes: 60

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: Joanna Biography

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Johnny O wrote:A new biography about Joanna Lumley, written by Tim Ewbank and Stafford Hildred, does cover in quite good detail the process which landed Joanna the part of Purdey, including what the production team thought of her audition and suitability. As it's not an autobiography and Joanna isn't involved, I have no idea who accurate it is, but it's an interesting read.
I think it was published several years ago. I'll dig out my copy.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Captain Crusoe
Nutshell

Post by Captain Crusoe »

I had found Leela rather unsophisticated, which is why I find it hard to imagine Joanna Lumley playing her. Mary Tamm's Romana was like my ideal woman, even though I was only nine at the time, because she not only looked so good, she was so intelligent and self-confident. I agree she would have made a great Avenger. Just think of the parallel universe in which Mary Tamm was an Avenger...
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote: I agree about Mary Tamm - all the qualities of an Avenger girl. She still looks beautiful today.
That's her Estonian genes, as my missus keeps reminding me :)
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I said Lally Ward reminded me of Joanna, Louise Jameson actually resembles Diana Rigg in my opinion.
Sorry if I misunderstood. What you said was: "I like both Romanas. Lalla Ward and Mary Tamm. Far better than Leela. She reminded me of Joanna, at the time, in the way she was posh and blonde - but facially she was a bit like Billie Piper I suppose. Or perhaps I'm tired ..." I think I can be forgiven for not following who she was! It certainly reads like you meant Louise Jameson or even Mary Tamm!
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote: I think it was published several years ago. I'll dig out my copy.
It was published in the UK on September 3, 2009. Just over two months ago!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Johnny O wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: I think it was published several years ago. I'll dig out my copy.
It was published in the UK on September 3, 2009. Just over two months ago!
That's the recent reprint, rushed out with minor additions to coincide with renewed interest in Joanna due to the whole Gurkha thing. The original printing (which I have) was done in 1999. The chapter on TNA is very comprehensive and probably pretty accurate, but it is using Joanna's account of begging to be tested, which she has admitted isn't strictly true and has been embellished to make it a "good story." (The authors also repeat that old mistake of stating there were 83 episodes of the series, seemingly forgetting there were actually seasons before Emma). The book says she begged to be screentested. Sometimes the account is that she couldn't even get on the list to audition. I suspect any reservations about screentesting came from Albert Fennell and Laurie Johnson. I get the feeling Brian Clemens would have got her in there one way or another regardless.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
marty
Nutshell

best lead actor

Post by marty »

:wink: for me the best lead actor is diana rigg she played emma peel perfectly i just love you emma :D
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

naturally Patrick Macnee
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Patrick MacNee seems to always find the right expression, whether serious or relaxed. A lesser actor would slip up.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Charlie Parker wrote: Still begs the question, why create a new character instead of just simply recasting Dr. Keel? Shame they got rid of Ingrid though.
They never recast an established Avengers character and I'm pleased about that. Brian Clemens once said, had Patrick been younger, he would have recast Emma Peel with Joanna Lumley, which I think would have been courting disaster.
Johnny O wrote: I don't know if Gabrielle was next in line, but I know Louise Jameson (who went on to play Leela in Doctor Who) was also one of the final shortlisted actresses. She has often said she got down to the "final 6", but again, she may be exaggerating. I'd have to think she'd have done a screen test had she really got that close!
I agree. It's a bit like Bond. Not a year goes by when someone says, "I was nearly Bond". Peter Purvis (ex Blue Peter presenter was a recent - and surprising - one). Thank heavens Louise Jameson never got the role, I disliked her intensely in Doctor Who.

I think it sounds better in interviews and looks better on your CV if you say you got closer to a choice role than you actually did. :wink:
That always sounds wrong to me, considering the whole "move forward, not backward" philosophy Clemens is always putting forward. Joanna's brilliant, but she's not Diana Rigg. One of the attributes of the series was that they were so willing to cast very different looking women and give them a fresh character to play with. Recasting is never a good move in my experience. :?

I don't know how Louise Jameson (of whom I know nothing) defines "close," but she auditioned and wasn't asked back for the second, screentesting day. Gabrielle Drake was, along with Joanna, Ann Zelda, Cassandra Harris, and Diana Quick--that's the final five, not six, and Jameson is nowhere to be seen. Only Gareth, Lewis Collins, and Harry Meacher actually got screentested for Gambit, which lends credence to the idea that Gareth tested with more than one woman since there weren't enough of them to go around and pair off evenly. I'm still left wondering who the girl with the really awful laugh was, though.
The DVD release of the Doctor Who story The Face of Evil has just hit the stores. It was Louise Jameson's debut story in the long running series. Not only does she confirm once again in an on camera interview that she was on the final shortlist for The New Avengers, but the production notes - compiled independently of the cast - also confirm the story. It seems a very long standing rumour that won't die if what you're saying is true.