Favourite Lines

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Ketman
Thingumajig

Post by Ketman »

Steed telling Mrs Peel about Olga, the East European agent he's been working with: "Seventy-five percent of electrical engineers in her country are women, twenty-five percent of garbage-disposal workers are women, five percent of male athletes are....(slight pause)..drawn from the armed services."
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Cathy: "Here, we better keep going"
Steed: "Yep"
Cathy:" Sebastian Stone-Martin. Where d'you get that name?"

Death A La Carte

I like how pally Cathy suddenly is with Steed. Discovering friendly bits is a real pleasure. Makes me want to watch Steed pick those flowers again in 'Don't Look Behind You'
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Mrs. Lomax, to Mr. Lomax (via telephone): "You won't like prison; nobody ever does".
The Undertakers
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

(I'm working from memory, so pardon if it's not verbatim.)

"I've yet to exhaust reality."

-Diana from Honey For The Prince
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

lostntime wrote:(I'm working from memory, so pardon if it's not verbatim.)

"I've yet to exhaust reality."

-Diana from Honey For The Prince

Good one. :) For the record, it is ...

Ponsonby-Hopkirk: And if ever you should wish to join the Q.Q.F... a fantasy perhaps?
Emma Peel: No thank you, I haven't yet exhausted reality.
Ponsonby-Hopkirk: Pity.

Another gem. Same episode:

John Steed: [on phone] Oh Colonel Robertson? Steed here. Did Mrs.Peel call and tell you about the body in my apartment? She did. Well will you have it removed right away, please, it's very untidy.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

Thank you, Dandy, and you're quite right quoting Steed from the same episode. The cartoon-ish buzzing voice of the Colonel on Steed's phone adds to the humor and after Steed apologizes because it's another body, Steed's irritated answer to the Colonel's rant is "no, I'm not trying to corner the market".

Classic!
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Steed identifying the correct end of the vineyard in my father's Dial a Deadly Number is still a favourite of mine, as well as Lovejoy's inability to repeat (without pausing for embarassed breath) Mrs Peel's wish for a man 'with stamina' in The Murder Market.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Rodney wrote:Steed identifying the correct end of the vineyard in my father's Dial a Deadly Number is still a favourite of mine, as well as Lovejoy's inability to repeat (without pausing for embarassed breath) Mrs Peel's wish for a man 'with stamina' in The Murder Market.

And the monocle falling out of the eye, one of those great little Avengers moments.
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

Allard wrote:
Rodney wrote:Steed identifying the correct end of the vineyard in my father's Dial a Deadly Number is still a favourite of mine, as well as Lovejoy's inability to repeat (without pausing for embarassed breath) Mrs Peel's wish for a man 'with stamina' in The Murder Market.

And the monocle falling out of the eye, one of those great little Avengers moments.
Ah yes...ranks right up there with Hidden Tiger's "and what is the name of your beloved pussy?" in the thinly veiled sexual innuendo category.
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Steed and Kim Lawrence break into a shop.

"We could go to Holloway!" Kim
"Do you think it could be arranged?" Steed - The Charmers

(Holloway being, course, the largest women-only prison in Europe)
Wow! I have completely missed that one in all the times I've watched that episode! I have to pick that as one of my favorites! Also, the one I use as my signature, "Don't confuse me with the facts!"
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha