Why didn't Diana Rigg become a movie star?

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Why didn't Diana Rigg become a movie star?

Post by Dan »

Look at all the great directors that were making films in the late 60's and early 70's, while she was young and beautiful- John Schlesinger, David Lean, Hitchcock, Robert Altman, Arthur Penn, Truffaut, Goddard, Fellini, Ingmar Bergman. Not one of them was interested in casting her? That makes no sense to me.

Anybody have any theories?
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Well anyone who knows more about Diana (and that's probably a most of you), jump in. But I think her hart has always been more in the theatre then in films. Don't forget she of course had a daughter in the seventies. And I don't think she had a bad career, staring in the two best (or only generally known) seasons of one of the best known TV series. Playing one of the more serious Bond girls, and starring in quite a few good films like, Theatre of Blood, Evil Under the Sun and a few more I imagine. Combine that with all her TV and theatre work. I'm not sorry she didn't became a blockbuster star, but has done her own thing and left us fewer but better films in which she played, and hopefully will so in future.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: Why didn't Diana Rigg become a movie star?

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Dan wrote:Look at all the great directors that were making films in the late 60's and early 70's, while she was young and beautiful- John Schlesinger, David Lean, Hitchcock, Robert Altman, Arthur Penn, Truffaut, Goddard, Fellini, Ingmar Bergman. Not one of them was interested in casting her? That makes no sense to me.

That's a big topic, and I don't think that there is anyone that can answer that fully. She has said she regrets not having a better movie career.

But she has also said that after The Avengers she was offered roles where her character had to hold a gun. I reckon OHMSS, The Assassination Bureau and Theatre of Blood were nods to The Avengers, but ever since she has played very different parts. Intentionally or not.

I don't know much about those other huge talents you've listed above, Dan, but it is my opinion that Alfred Hitchcock and David Lean's best work was pretty much behind them in the late 60's/early 70's anyway.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

In those days, TV was looked down upon as a lesser medium. With some exceptions, it was difficult for TV stars to move "up" to the movies. And, once there, movie "stars" tended not to move back "down." Later, the path became much more two-way.

Clint Eastwood, James Garner and Steve McQueen made it big, but many of the 60's stars had average (or less) careers in film. Elizabeth Montgomery was extremely popular, but made little of import after Bewiched. Luciell Ball's movie career went to zero after I Love Lucy. None of the Bonanza cast made it big in the movies. Jim Arness - big on Gunsmoke, middle of the road movie career. Barbara Eden - everyone loved Jeannie, but that's about it.

Today, TV stars are paid huge salaries, and seem to be the recruiting grounds for movies.

At least, that's my theory . . .
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

^ I think that absolutely correct. You could add William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy to that list too.

I remember in an interview Diana Rigg saying she was usually 'third choice' behind Vanessa Redgrave and Glenda Jackson when it came to film parts.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dan

Post by Dan »

True - and Hitchcock preferred blonds anyway.

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
I don't know much about those other huge talents you've listed above, Dan, but it is my opinion that Alfred Hitchcock and David Lean's best work was pretty much behind them in the late 60's/early 70's anyway.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Dan wrote:True - and Hitchcock preferred blonds anyway.

Yes he did. Honor Blackman would have made a great Hitchcock heroine.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's a lie that says that huge success in one thing will lead to continued success. Anyone who experience this in their acting career is an exception.

Diana has a huge presence on the stage (having seen her in Mother Courage back in 1995) but she doesn't have the same presence on film (TV yes but not film), she isn't starry. I feel that being a good actor is more important to her than being a film star. Who's not to say she didn't turn down some "big films" as they didn't appeal to her.

Also she was based in the UK, our film industry was starting to shut down in the 70's.

The best career an actor can hope for is to keep on working and she has managed that. That's a good career.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dan wrote:Look at all the great directors that were making films in the late 60's and early 70's, while she was young and beautiful- John Schlesinger, David Lean, Hitchcock, Robert Altman, Arthur Penn, Truffaut, Goddard, Fellini, Ingmar Bergman. Not one of them was interested in casting her? That makes no sense to me.

actually, her ' career ' hasn't been all that shabby...some good roles,
couple of decent films, lots of theatre....I suppose she 'did it' on her terms.

she's still acting...heck, a great life...doing something you love, and getting
paid as well....
Dan

Post by Dan »

Good points, but as a film buff I sure would have liked to see Diana in a movie role that was worthy of her.
mousemeat wrote:

actually, her ' career ' hasn't been all that shabby...some good roles,
couple of decent films, lots of theatre....I suppose she 'did it' on her terms.

she's still acting...heck, a great life...doing something you love, and getting
paid as well....