What I LIKE About Avenger Episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

I love Steed's youthful exuberance and his ability to switch to stone-cold seriousness as easily. I love that Emma has evolved before our eyes from a partner somewhat relunctant to take on a mission to (as Mrs. Gale was) to a partner who takes on initiative with a ready,steady, go attitude. Lastly, beside the entertaining stories written aroumd Steed /Emma- I absolutely LIVE for their banter!
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
hans
Nutshell
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK (Colman's mustard and Lotus land)

Post by hans »

I think it was the eccentricity of the people and story's that got me hooked - the scene in the Town of No Return when Steed pulls out a boiling kettle and breaks the news there's no lemon, that's when I fell for the show.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

hans wrote:I think it was the eccentricity of the people and story's that got me hooked - the scene in the Town of No Return when Steed pulls out a boiling kettle and breaks the news there's no lemon, that's when I fell for the show.
I think we tend to forget how radical the 4th season was, after the Cathy Gale episodes. I know it was heading towards the bizarre, but still the 'Steed reaches into a carpet bag and produces a boiling kettle and cake stand' must have been a bit of a shock to faithful viewers who tuned in still expecting Cathy Gale and drug cartels.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

hans wrote:I think it was the eccentricity of the people and story's that got me hooked - the scene in the Town of No Return when Steed pulls out a boiling kettle and breaks the news there's no lemon, that's when I fell for the show.
I could quite happily watch that scene on a loop, it's just so charming and witty.
hans
Nutshell
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK (Colman's mustard and Lotus land)

Post by hans »

I like to imagine in some way one of his aunties was Mary Poppins, and the bag was some thing she sent in the post :).
Mona

Post by Mona »

Steed's stories of all his aunties is CHARMING and very funny. I wonder how that developed on the show, if it was thought out or just a spontaneous development via episode writers. I loved how he described the eccentricities of his aunties, and wondered which ones were real and which ones were fictional.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Mona wrote:Steed's stories of all his aunties is CHARMING and very funny. I wonder how that developed on the show, if it was thought out or just a spontaneous development via episode writers. I loved how he described the eccentricities of his aunties, and wondered which ones were real and which ones were fictional.
Perhaps Pat was drawing from his experience at Rooks Nest. He certainly had a plethora of bizarre female personalities to choose from!

Sue 8)
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Cariheart

Post by Cariheart »

oneknightsteed wrote:
Mona wrote:Steed's stories of all his aunties is CHARMING and very funny. I wonder how that developed on the show, if it was thought out or just a spontaneous development via episode writers. I loved how he described the eccentricities of his aunties, and wondered which ones were real and which ones were fictional.
Perhaps Pat was drawing from his experience at Rooks Nest. He certainly had a plethora of bizarre female personalities to choose from!

Sue 8)
Ah! Rooks Nest! That makes sense!
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Mona

Post by Mona »

Well, I doubt that Pat actually wrote all those lines--I'd like to think we had some marvelous writers bringing out terrific aspects of our characters. But, it was probably very easy for Pat to read those lines and say them, given his memories of his eccentric upbringing.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

I've got a soft spot for "A funny thing happened on the way to the station". The whole concept of a gang of spies running a railroad is interesting to begin with. One of the most charming characters in the episode is John Laurie's character (the guy living in the signal box). And one of the funniest moments for me (aside from when Emma translates Steed's umbrella, of course) is when Drewe Henley's character laughs hysterically whilst he's spraying the signal box with a barrage of bullets. Cracks me up each time.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."