The Avengers film that never was

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Looking forward to reading this. What I would really love to read though is the proposed movie script that was written in the 1960s. Sadly it was never filmed. Does anyone know if the script has survived? Indeed does anyone know anything at all about this proposed movie?
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

We have discussed this on the old forum.

I will quote a text from the booklet that came with the Contender DVD box of season three:

"Honor Blackman told ABC of her decision to leave the Avengers... This resulted in the abandonment of plans for a Beirut-set feature film, The Avengers - Pursuit of Evil by Magna Incorporated and producer Louis de Rochemont"

Rodney correct me if I am wrong, but if my memory is correct you posted on the old forum, that your father new nothing about such a project or that a script was never written.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

My father was unaware of a script existing and was not sure if the initial idea went any further than that: a proposal. Unless, of course, it was written by someone who was not a bone fide Avengers scriptwriter.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Potential film

Post by mousemeat »

Rodney wrote:My father was unaware of a script existing and was not sure if the initial idea went any further than that: a proposal. Unless, of course, it was written by someone who was not a bone fide Avengers scriptwriter.
shame really, that a film from that era, didn't get written and green lighted.

might have they pick up after they were blasted into space ?

or would it been a totally different time line ?
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

oops

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:We have discussed this on the old forum.

I will quote a text from the booklet that came with the Contender DVD box of season three:

"Honor Blackman told ABC of her decision to leave the Avengers... This resulted in the abandonment of plans for a Beirut-set feature film, The Avengers - Pursuit of Evil by Magna Incorporated and producer Louis de Rochemont"

Rodney correct me if I am wrong, but if my memory is correct you posted on the old forum, that your father new nothing about such a project or that a script was never written.
Oops, I see that the potential film was geared with Mrs.Gale

not later with Steed and Tara....

well either film, might have been interesting...depending on the time frame of the film, and when it was released world wide..

sadly, we shall never know
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

I'm sure one of Dave Rogers old fanzines mentioned the film, with a brief outline of the plot which I seem to remember had something to do with insects. It must be 20 years since I read these and the memory can play tricks, so I'll dig these out, have a read through and get back to you. I also remember a script was written by Brian Clemens circa 1980 for a sequel to the Avengers featuring a new girl called Samantha. It was never filmed, but I remember reading the first couple of pages of dialogue from this too, so I'll look for that as well. I wonder if we'll end up reading this in it's entirety.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I often seem rather negative, I know, but I feel that films of tv series - or even episodes which leave familiar ground - rarely work. Why change a tried and tested formula? The Avengers worked well in the same hourly slot (minus commercial breaks) each week.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I am glad there wasn't a film, because then we would not have had Emma Peel and the Avengers beyond that. The show would have probably be more or less forgotten and we would not be talking about it here now.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Never was a truer word spoken. We should be celebrating and discussing what we have: hundreds of hours of drama, humour and surreal happenings.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Allard wrote:I am glad there wasn't a film, because then we would not have had Emma Peel and the Avengers beyond that. The show would have probably be more or less forgotten and we would not be talking about it here now.

What would my life be like without Emma Peel/ Diana Rigg! I wonder where I would be now and what I would be doing?? It certainly would have been a different life altogether!

Thank goodness there wasn't a film! Maybe there is a God after all :D