Deny's Fisher Purdey Collection

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Deny's Fisher Purdey Collection

Post by Avengerholic »

Can anyone shed any light on these 70s toys ? I've been trying to find out if the Purdey outfits were ever made commercially available. I know the actual doll went on sale for a very short time and that only a handful of carded examples are known to exist today, but the outfits are very mysterious in that nobody seems to have any of the range at all ! I was told that a single prototype set were produced, but they look too 'perfectly made' to be a company mock-up. Joanna certainly new nothing of them when I showed her.

Anyone have any idea how I can find out ? Or after 33 years is it going to be an impossible quest to find out :cry:
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

That's certainly the only example I've ever come across. The Rogers books claim they were advertised on the back of the Purdey doll packaging, but don't say whether or not they were ever produced. I tend to doubt they were, and probably your example is a prototype. Likely they went the way of the Steed's Jaguar die-cast and the little Steed and Gambit action figures.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

They are on the back of the doll packaging and also on the back of the outfits. prototypes are normally low grade mock ups though arn't they ?These are certainly 100% perfectly produced.
bramford
Thingumajig

Post by bramford »

It's a shame to see your collection go, Avengerholic. Avengers memorabilia should be on display and not scattered all over the world. I'm collecting Tara King stills, if you have any please let me know. :wink:
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Deny's Fisher Purdey Collection

Post by mousemeat »

Avengerholic wrote:Can anyone shed any light on these 70s toys ? I've been trying to find out if the Purdey outfits were ever made commercially available. I know the actual doll went on sale for a very short time and that only a handful of carded examples are known to exist today, but the outfits are very mysterious in that nobody seems to have any of the range at all ! I was told that a single prototype set were produced, but they look too 'perfectly made' to be a company mock-up. Joanna certainly new nothing of them when I showed her.

Anyone have any idea how I can find out ? Or after 33 years is it going to be an impossible quest to find out :cry:
wow. that's pretty wild stuff...I'm certain, they are almost ultra rare...

perhaps even command a tidy sum......(?)

wonder if similar dolls,etc were produced for Peel-King...

Avengers toys weren't that popular in the states...I think...
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Yes, there was a doll representing Emma, and the other one...Tara. But the Emma Peel one didn't look like her, she was in a yellow box, with the series' title written in black.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Someone is selling a Denys Fisher Tom Baker Doctor Who doll on ebay. I've wanted to see one of these for awhile, as there's a rumour connecting it with the TNA Denys Fisher line. Denys Fisher was supposed to release Steed and Gambit action figures to go along with their Purdey doll, but they never actually made it into production. The story goes that, when the TNA action figures fell through, they took the head they were going to use to make the Gambit figure, and repurposed it for the Tom Baker doll instead. I've just had a look at it, and I agree with the seller that it doesn't look particularly like Gareth, but then the likenesses on these things were never particularly good, so that doesn't mean anything (the Purdey doll doesn't look much like Joanna after all). I could believe it based on the hair, at least. :wink: Anyone else see Gareth in there?

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

As a kid, I had a friend who had the Dr Who doll, and I never thought it looked like anyone in particular. The idea of it being a re-purposed Gareth Hunt head is attractive but could well be a myth.

As famous astronomer Sir Patrick Moore used to say - "we just don't know".

I've seen a publicity brochure for the TNA dolls with Gambit in his karate suit and with archery equipment (from the famous photo shoot, but done as artwork). It would've been cool to have such a doll, but I'd have wanted the square-toed heeled boots and flares, as well.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Frankymole wrote:As a kid, I had a friend who had the Dr Who doll, and I never thought it looked like anyone in particular. The idea of it being a re-purposed Gareth Hunt head is attractive but could well be a myth.

As famous astronomer Sir Patrick Moore used to say - "we just don't know".

I've seen a publicity brochure for the TNA dolls with Gambit in his karate suit and with archery equipment (from the famous photo shoot, but done as artwork). It would've been cool to have such a doll, but I'd have wanted the square-toed heeled boots and flares, as well.
I've seen the artwork floating around as well. I remember they were supposed to have little buttons in the back to put the "action" in action figure--I think Gambit's did a karate chop, and Steed's did something with his umbrella. I would have preferred one with flares as well, but honestly I'd love to have decent Purdey and Gambit dolls of any kind. The Product Enterprises people were musing on doing a Cathy/Tara set after they did Steed and Emma, and I was hopeful that TNA would follow, but none of them ever materialised, sadly. :(

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's certainly the only example I've ever come across. The Rogers books claim they were advertised on the back of the Purdey doll packaging, but don't say whether or not they were ever produced. I tend to doubt they were, and probably your example is a prototype. Likely they went the way of the Steed's Jaguar die-cast and the little Steed and Gambit action figures.
sounds about right..and they were rare to begin with...