Colin Finbow

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Rodders wrote:What gave you the idea for this episode? It is one which seems to share a similar ecological theme as my father’s Silent Dust: i.e. science destroying nature.

I've always been sympathetic to the science v nature theme and (before all the hype about climate change) imagined what would happen if science developed a reliable way to create rain. Like so many of our inventions for good, someone would surely use it for evil ends. The mad scientist and the Noah supporters came along with the basic notion! (I understand the 1998 movie version used this premise. Someone sent me a script to read, but it didn't seem to have any of the TV 'Avengers' qualities. I never saw the film.)

How did you come to be asked to write for the show?

My agent Peggy Ramsay told me someone was interested and followed it up. I don't remember any details.

Were you happy with the finished episode?

It looked like a regular "Avengers' episode. I was chuffed.

Was the Mini-Moke your idea?

Sadly not. I knew (know) nothing about cars, so Brian Clemens, who owned the only E Type Jaguar I have ever ridden in must have been the inspiration here.

Were you aware of the show before you were invited on board?

Yes, an ardent fan ever since the Ian Hendry days. It had the qualities of my own radio and TV writing, so I was delighted to get the chance to contribute. (I had another idea about an eccentric scientist living in a submarine and sending radio signals which could only be received by Walkman headphones. His aim to subjugate the nation's youth by radio hypnosis and cause a civil war to wipe out earth's population for him to reclaim it. as his dry domain. I didn't get around to writing it, or pitching it.)

What do you think made it the cult success worldwide which it became and why is it still so popular?

Its quirkiness and blend of humour and suspense, although never universally popular will always have a place in our culture. I collect a great deal of world cinema, largely because quirkiness and eccentricity are more common in their films and the routine and dumbed down current fare in UK and US largely leaves me cold.
And yet Brian Clemens reckoned Colin Finbow didn't write a single word of the episode! Why do people believe that!?

I ask the most stupid questions!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:The pupils in my school - aged 11-13 - absolutely adore The Avengers and loved creating teasers when we did these in class recently. They adore the Peel colour season and the most intelligent ones state a preference for the monochrome season because "it's more complex and quirky" as one boy Charles told me. The market is still there!
wwow...enjoyed reading this post ..and about the kids digging the show...which proves that this was a classic show with a timeless appeal....especially the monochrome era..
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Mousemeat,
only recently an 11 year old I teach produced a great teaser involving a swarm of killer wasps emerging out of the eyes of a portrait in a country house owned by a mastermind!

Jaz, as we both know, people would rather believe Clemens' version of Avengers history. Sadly.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
jaz
Winged Avenger

Post by jaz »

Rodders wrote:
Jaz, as we both know, people would rather believe Clemens' version of Avengers history. Sadly.
Sadly true, especially of those that should know better!

I ask the most stupid questions!
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

The teaser sequence or hook, or pre-title sequence when dealing with an ITC film series was/is an essential part of any episode, as its deigned to capture the audience's attention so they don't switch channels. The Avengers and The New Avengers had some of the best teasers ever presenting some very bizarre situations.

I think Dennis Spooner was influenced by the teasers on The Avengers and followed the trend with his shows The Champions and Department S.

The idea of a swarm of killer bees emerging from a portrait is a great idea and the opinion that a market exists for this kind of show, is something I agree with despite what I said about not remaking The Avengers and The New Avengers on another thread. I belive an original male/female action show, with humour, some science-fiction elements could work. However, just as The Avengers was a trend setter, then I think any new show would also have to be a trend setter in its own way.

The Avengers and The New Avengers would rework ideas that were not new, but give them a new slant or approach and again any new show would have to come up with making straight thrillers from a new angle. Any new sereies would also need to be adaptatble and encompass, drama, horror, thriller, sci-fi, comedy or perhaps all these elements in one episode. There really hasn't been any British show like this since Bugs in the mid-nineties and so I think there is a gap in TV programming for something like this.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Rodders wrote:Mousemeat,
only recently an 11 year old I teach produced a great teaser involving a swarm of killer wasps emerging out of the eyes of a portrait in a country house owned by a mastermind!

revisionist history 101 as serve up by mr. clemens.....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Colin Finbow

Post by Frankymole »

Rodders wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 am It is a mystery to me why - having written this wonderfully quirky, off-beat episode A Surfeit of H20, he was never asked back. Also, my internet searches have offered up almost no information about him. A mystery man?
There's a nice bit in the Wikipedia article about him founding the Children's Film Unit, in 1981, a charity to bring kids into writing and making films by and for their own age group. One of their final two productions, The Gingerbread House, is on YouTube at the moment. We watched it on Ashens' Twitch channel last night and it was quite moving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children% ... cite_ref-4
"The Children's Film Unit was formed in 1981 by schoolteacher and ex-Avengers writer, Colin Finbow. It had begun life as the film studies department at Forest Hill School in South East London. The standard of the work Finbow and his students produced so excited professional film makers due to its quality and freshness that, after one of their films, "The Custard Boys" (1979) received critical acclaim, it was suggested that more children should benefit from this unique experience." The unit went on to win many awards.

"The CFU operated outside of normal school hours, when during regular weekend and holiday workshops the children were trained to a high level of competence in all aspects of filmmaking, including camera-work, lighting, sound, acting, writing, and costume. Although some of the CFU's children did perform in their films, they only played the roles of children. All adult characters were performed by professional adult actors.

"Generally the CFU produced one feature-length film per year, with the bulk of the production schedule occurring during the summer holidays. After principal photography was completed, pick-ups would be shot during weekends. Although all the films were then edited by director Colin Finbow, the children were given the opportunity to participate in the post-production process, within the limits of the post-production facilities and their own school schedules. Between features, the children's training consisted of making short films, and attending regular lectures and demonstrations from industry experts, such as Bryan Forbes, Lord Attenborough, Lord Puttnam and others."

There are a few comments about it here (as IMDB and YouTube don't have any user comments about it):
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-gingerbread-house-1996/

Last watched: "The Charmers"
frank
Winged Avenger

Re: Colin Finbow

Post by frank »

How lovely!

I always like organizations like that that try to give kids/young people a chance to make their own film