Avengers Dossier

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Avengers Dossier

Post by Borgus Weems »

Is the Avenger Dossier worth tracking down, if (like me) you are a huge fan of the Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide? I'm not as worried about the factual errors in this work, just that it's as much fun as the Doctor Who effort (by the same authors).
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

It's all right, I suppose. I have both versions (the pulped and the reissue), and I read them some time ago. It's basically another standard episode guide infused with the authors' opinions of the episodes, some of which are very strange and surprising, others terribly snarky. I found I rarely agreed with them, and their style tended to grate on my nerves. And yes, there are factual errors. If you're into those particular authors and their commentary, than you should probably get it, yes. But otherwise, I'd recommend it for completists only, or people who've already the Rogers books and Andrew Pixley's The Avengers Files and are just looking for something fresh.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I don't agree with them all the time even on Doctor Who, but I like that format - and even though I'm not usually a fan of the snarky, for some reason the Discontinuity Guide has become a favorite, and hopefully I'd feel the same way about the Avengers book.

Thanks for the info!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: Avengers Dossier

Post by Frankymole »

Borgus Weems wrote:Is the Avenger Dossier worth tracking down, if (like me) you are a huge fan of the Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide? I'm not as worried about the factual errors in this work, just that it's as much fun as the Doctor Who effort (by the same authors).
Yes. Both are well-thumbed in my house!
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I actually love (yes LOVE) The Avengers Dossier. It came out just after the Dave Rogers era and although error strewn in parts with dodgy references ('Jenny Lee-Wright, the Benny Hill girl, being the first choice for Charly/Purdey in The New Avengers'!), it's written with such humour I found it (and still find it) so refreshing.

You can tell it's written by fans and the enthusiasm leaps off the page. My copy is falling to bits after re-reading it and adding notes to it (usually "ha! ha!" and "!!!"), underlining favourite bits, etc.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

I like it too and mine too is well-thumbed :D
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

It was a good fun little volume, and just what we needed at the time; a counter-point to Dave Rogers' very enjoyable works. It bubbles away rather nicely, it's opinionated (so fun to compare to your own take on things) and - although I think that "Doctor Who: The Discontinuity Guide" has the edge - it's a worthy successor and one which I often pick up and flick through again.

All the best

Andrew
Brian Flagg
Nutshell

re: Dr. Who Books

Post by Brian Flagg »

I think that Tat Wood and Lawrence Miles' ABOUT TIME Series has about as much attitude as one could get! I like the "Englishness" of their writing, which makes this yank do additional research when certain British cultural/slang isn't explained! Currently thumbing through volume 5...
Consilio et prudentia
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

I've got it ordered - will post back when it arrives!
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: re: Dr. Who Books

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Hi Brian :)
Brian Flagg wrote:I think that Tat Wood and Lawrence Miles' ABOUT TIME Series has about as much attitude as one could get!
I love the essays in these books; some of my favourite writing about "Doctor Who". Terrific stuff.

All the best

Andrew