Patrick Macnee

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

the law ?

Post by mousemeat »

kim wrote:
Required by law? I thought it was everyone's choice to do so or not.
I'm not sure about all states, but in California, yes, an announcement of death is mandatory so as to notify all debtors and family. This is supposed to insure that there is at least some notification out there so no one is "accidently" forgotten. It is also supposed to help prevent identy theft of the deceased. A full blown obituary is not mandatory, but a death announcement is.
tooo much law. sheesh...what did willy the shake,once say ? ' kill all the lawyers? '

Still haven't found out anything more about Patrick and his wife..

I guess when I finally croak, with my pending obit, my 15 seconds of fame

whoa !
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

I've written my own obit in order to save time and trouble for those poor, overworked newspapers. A simple line that says it all and is stolen from the Wizard of Oz...: Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead. :lol:
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

kim wrote:I've written my own obit in order to save time and trouble for those poor, overworked newspapers. A simple line that says it all and is stolen from the Wizard of Oz...: Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead. :lol:
A friend of mine who died of an AIDS related illness last year had that played on a harp at his memorial. Another friend who died last year (Susan - Denholm Elliott's wife - she hated the term widow) had the Charleston playing as the coffin disappeared.
I am going to have 'em weeping in the aisles wit every version of 'We Have All The Time in the World' and Tchaikovsky's 'Romeo & Juliet' and 2nd movement of his 'Piano Concerto in B Flat Minor' and some other tear-jerking songs and maybe finish with 'The Avengers' theme :D
Big Sid
Nutshell

Post by Big Sid »

Although it varies from state to state, it is usually only necessary to publish a death notice when a will is being probated or the court is settling an estate for an individual who died intestate. (It wasn't the lawyers who came up with this rule, but the creditors who worried they wouldn't get their piece of the money.) If a person is survived by a living spouse who assumes sole ownership of all the property and obligation for all the debt, legal notice of the death isn't needed. A formal obituary with a photo or personal history is never required. So it's possible that Patrick's wife died and the family decided to keep it quiet. I certainly hope that isn't the case. I'd like to see Patrick enjoy many, many, many more happy years to come.
Big Sid
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Well, here are two posts from Biff at Avengers Suburbia regarding Patrick and Baba:

It's a fact. The source is Rupert Macnee, Pat's son. Some of you may remember Mona who used to hang out at Suburbia. She spoke with Rupert recently. I agree that it's odd that there was no news on the web (or anywhere that we can tell), but we'd heard last year from someone else that Baba passed away. Couldn't find a thing about it at the time. Turns out it's true.

And as for the heart attack, that's true too. Happened a couple of years ago. Mona and I were fortunate enough to spend a few minutes with Patrick Macnee about a year and a half ago, post-heart attack. He was weak but doing well.

And according to his son he's still doing well, lives on his own despite his age (but probably with some assistance -- that's me speculating -- I think his daughter lives nearby) and despite the loss of his wife.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I proclaim our innocence in the encounter in which we found out about the heart attack. Maybe not as pure as the driven snow, but what we did was buy him birthday flowers, which we took to the guard at his gated community in Rancho Mirage. We asked if we could leave the flowers with the guard. He picked up the phone (we weren't sure why -- just figured he was asking someone if it was okay). Suddenly he opened the gate, gave us directions to the Macnee house, and told us to go on in. We couldn't believe it. Patrick met us in his driveway and invited us in for a few minutes. Amazing. The man is such a gentleman and so very kind. Of course it's true that we weren't complete strangers. We met Pat, Baba, and Rupert previously at a book signing and again at the tribute to Pat at the Egyptian Theater in
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

That's sad to hear, but good that he is doing well in spite of it. Long may he continue, and have a good few years more of well-earned retirement!
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Yes, terribly sad for Patrick, but it's good to hear that he's kept going in spite of it all. Condolences and best wishes to him and his family.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

I'm very sad to hear that. Best wishes to Patrick.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

One of the cruel things about film: one puts on the dvd of an episode and Macnee is a sprightly, fit and healthy forty year old again; whereas in reality he is a frail, old man. I hope that Patrick Macnee continues to live for as long as he wishes to. It will cast a shadow on the series and on life in general - for me - when he has passed away.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, the joie de vivre feeling of the Emma Peel/Steed years certainly has a feeling of eternal youth about it... because the New Avengers often dealt with the death of friends, gritty betrayals and the transience of all things, the sense of melancholy (the loss of Gareth Hunt and various guest artistes) when I watch it somehow seems appropriate, and is to some extent counteracted by Gareth's and Joanna Lumley's twinkling performances (and Patrick's, of course).

Ian Hendry passed away decades ago so I've got used to that - we don't get to see much of him in the series anyway (in fact the only episode I've never seen, something to look forward to not to look back upon, has him in it!). If Honor Blackman was to die then I'd probably have a hard time watching the Cathy episodes. But all of these have Patrick Macnee's personality stamped on them, and his views on The Avengers are always running at the back of my mind when I watch any era.

With most of my favourite leading men now in their 80s, or nearly so (my favourite TV series are nearly all 1960s ones), every day is a blessing really. Gerald Harper, Patrick McGoohan, Roger Moore, William Russell. Long may they run.
Last watched: "The Charmers"