Overrated classic episodes

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
microvibe
White Dwarf

Post by microvibe »

murdersville!
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

Never really liked Love All much.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

waldotyson wrote:Everybody seems to think "who's who" is a hoot. But I don't- I just don't understand it, I guess. I'd rather see Steed and my beloved Emma for who they really are.
I agree. It is too disturbing to see Steed and Emma as villians.

I would say "Return of The Cybernauts" is overrated. They got it right the first time; I don't think it was necessary to re-visit the robot, especially when the usually heroic Peter Cushing is playing a villain.

I would say the lot of The New Avengers episodes are overrated. Sorry, I just find them hard to sit through, although Joanna Lumley is chic and a great fighter.
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

"Who is Who"
is often a fan favourite. I dont like the Science-Fiction Elements in the story

"Epic"
is always on the Top by most of the Avengers-Fans from Germany. I find the whole Episode is to silly, confused and to much Comic-Strip.

"Too Many Christmas Trees"
is one of the most overrated Avenger Episodes. Its solid, but sometimes boring.
Courier
Nutshell

Post by Courier »

Allard wrote:
The Superlative Seven is a bit like Dead Man's Treasure, if your in the mood for it, it's wonderful, but if you want a good plot then you'd better save it for some other time.

Diana does Emma at her best (or the most enjoyable) in this episode.[/b]
Well, the most popular episodes feature a very shaky plot (Town, Bargain, Hour, Christmas), so that is not really an argument. The Avengers does have episodes with a strong plot, but they never really feature amongst the most popular episodes with fans (except perhaps The Joker).
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

As I've said before, you can pick holes at most of the episodes, and sometimes you can drive a Lotus Elan though. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and how you feel at the end of the episode. The show, at it's best, is just a tall tale which makes you smile at the absurdity of it all.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:As I've said before, you can pick holes at most of the episodes, and sometimes you can drive a Lotus Elan though. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and how you feel at the end of the episode. The show, at it's best, is just a tall tale which makes you smile at the absurdity of it all.

Quite, when continuity or plot errors are noticed by the viewer, it already misses that which makes the Avengers special.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

True, but when silliness dominates rather than surrealism the show has lost its plot. That's why I like the episodes where there is a disturbing undercurrent as well as the humour.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Rodney wrote:True, but when silliness dominates rather than surrealism the show has lost its plot. That's why I like the episodes where there is a disturbing undercurrent as well as the humour.

I think that sillyness was almost sometimes de rigueur in the latter part of the 60's. Smashing Time is one of my all time favourite films in the "swinging sixties" genre, but it goes mental at the end.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Rodney wrote:True, but when silliness dominates rather than surrealism the show has lost its plot. That's why I like the episodes where there is a disturbing undercurrent as well as the humour.

I think that sillyness was almost sometimes de rigueur in the latter part of the 60's. Smashing Time is one of my all time favourite films in the "swinging sixties" genre, but it goes mental at the end.
I've only seen Smashing Time once but remember really enjoying it, the way it went around swinging London. I loved the ending up on the Post Office tower as it was when the revolving restaurant starts getting faster and faster.

Having checked some clips, I noticed that the late Lynn Redgrave's character wears the same pink fur coat as that Linda Thorson wore for some of the early publicity shots and in a fight scene in Have Gun Will Haggle.