Decapod, touch and scream!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Klaus
Nutshell

Decapod, touch and scream!

Post by Klaus »

I have just watched Decapod (season 2) and many things struck me due to the passage of time, but the most outstanding thing that kept me thinking was the scene between Venus Smith and the president, where he kept touching her at the embassy, at the end of the episode - before the final conflict at the boxing arena. At the time I presume this was accepted behaviour, or was it? Today is seems SO, well, disturbing, doesn't it?
In real life wouldn't all women stop that man from touching her? It just seems unrealistic, even for tv fantasy.
Cybernowt
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Re: Decapod, touch and scream!

Post by Cybernowt »

Klaus wrote:...was the scene between Venus Smith and the president, where he kept touching her at the embassy...
It that what they used to call it?!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

"Can you tell the court where he touched you, Miss Smith?"
"At the Embassy, m'lud .. "
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

It apparently was standard practice for one of our presidents. :wink:
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Yes, the touching was a bit inappropriate. Steed's not much better, sticking a business card in Venus's top and slapping a waitress's bottom.

Still, those were different times, I guess.

There are some amusing goofs in the episode, like when Harry Ramsden's wife is trying to speak to Steed and Wolfe Morris's knotted-jumper sleeve is hanging down half of her face.

I reviewed it: http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale1-3vr.htm
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Also, smacking Emma's bottom with a foil . . .
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

despite the revolutionary idea in the mid-1960s of having a female lead who could outfight, out-think and verbally out-joust a man, the show was often sexist as well. Steed often treats Mrs Gale and Mrs Peel as a dogsbody.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Frankymole wrote:There are some amusing goofs in the episode, like when Harry Ramsden's wife is trying to speak to Steed and Wolfe Morris's knotted-jumper sleeve is hanging down half of her face.

I reviewed it: http://www.theavengers.tv/forever/gale1-3vr.htm
Yes, I noticed that, I kept waiting for her to swipe it away as it would have annoyed me - she showed considerable restraint.

I quite like this episode. it's well directed by Don Leaver and there are some impressive sets, the baths were the wrestling takes place is superb. The episode certainly seals Venus' disliking liking.. of Steed where everytime afterwards she just wants him to go away... well until the haircut.:)
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

VA_Avenger wrote:It apparently was standard practice for one of our presidents. :wink:
yup. and he did not have 'sex'....lol
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote:I quite like this episode. it's well directed by Don Leaver and there are some impressive sets, the baths were the wrestling takes place is superb.
It's huge, isn't it? If I didn't know better I'd swear it was a location. They must've used the studio walls, as those don't look fake, and go up forever. They hid the lighting rig well, given that there are many low-angle shots pointing up to the roof.
Last watched: "The Outside-In Man"