"Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers"

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

"Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers"

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Where does this come from? Twice in a matter of days I've had to correct someone (on Roobarb's) and point to the YouTubes online as evidence that Diana will talk about the show. I think it's a case of 'if a rumour is said often enough it becomes a fact'.

My feeling is she's bored witless by the subject of The Avengers - a job she did 45 years ago for about 18 months - but that's just my interpretation of it. She's never actually said it. Declining invitations to attend Avengers gatherings is not evidence that she won't talk about the programme. And she did attend the Lumiere Video launch in 1993.

I'd love to go up to her and say, " ... Oh, and by the way - yes, we all know you were in The Avengers. So were many other people, so don't keep going on about it!" :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dearesttara
Thingumajig

Post by Dearesttara »

Today, when a non-english fan (and without doubt also english fan) hears the name of Diana, there is 99% of chances he says "Ah, Emma Peel !" Of course, this is her most famous role (more than Tracy I think). But Diana considers herself as a theatre actress first and no a television or cinema actress. Beside, she played few roles on cinema and TV. So, she is upset when one talks to her about Emma because she prefers talking theatre, her true passion.

Moreover, she doesn't keep only good memories of the series. In an interview, she says she was only Steed's stooge (despite she had and has always a friendly relationship with Patrick, less than Linda and Patrick but friends anyhow). For her, this was only a break between two theatre plays.

The first reason is for me she is enclosed in this character. Diana IS Emma and for her, this is not pleasant.
Tara King for ever
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

The power of television is enormous. When you combine that with a programme that was shown worldwide, it creates something indelible. Performers are right in people's living rooms. This creates a special kind of relationship, different from movies or plays. This is why Diana Rigg's portrayal of Emma Peel has such power and permanance. She will ALWAYS be best known for her participation in The Avengers. It gave her immediate international stardom the way nothing else could have. I'm sure she realizes this, but actors must live in the present, and concentrate on their current project. Quite understandable really. I do think Rigg should acknowledge the upcoming 50th Anniversary Celebration, though.
Dearesttara
Thingumajig

Post by Dearesttara »

However, Honor and Linda react kinder than Diana althrough they are best-known for her Avengers' roles. Never they refused an interview while Diana is less cooperative.
Tara King for ever
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dearesttara wrote:However, Honor and Linda react kinder than Diana althrough they are best-known for her Avengers' roles. Never they refused an interview while Diana is less cooperative.
different people react to the past, etc in different ways...
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There is no evidence to say Diana has ever refused an interview about The Avengers. This is my point.

There's lots of evidence on YouTube, and elsewhere, of Diana talking about The Avengers.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Re: "Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers"

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Where does this come from? Twice in a matter of days I've had to correct someone (on Roobarb's) and point to the YouTubes online as evidence that Diana will talk about the show. I think it's a case of 'if a rumour is said often enough it becomes a fact'.

My feeling is she's bored witless by the subject of The Avengers - a job she did 45 years ago for about 18 months - but that's just my interpretation of it. She's never actually said it. Declining invitations to attend Avengers gatherings is not evidence that she won't talk about the programme. And she did attend the Lumiere Video launch in 1993.

I'd love to go up to her and say, " ... Oh, and by the way - yes, we all know you were in The Avengers. So were many other people, so don't keep going on about it!" :wink:
Possibly people remembering wrongly the fact that she refuses to sign pictures of herself in "The Avengers".

Was it really only 18 months? She started in late 1964, worked throughout 1965 and 1966, and worked on it until September 1967, I thought. Aside from short holidays, that's nearly 3 years solid work.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

You're right. I was probably thinking too much about the transmitted episodes. In fact it's even longer if you think about the four days she returned in early 1968 to film the handover.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I imagine the idea that she won't talk about it has come from more recent interviews where she has said that she doesn't feel she has anything else that she can say (or did I imagine that..) - she's got nothing new to say and has done far more in career that she actually cares more for.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

She will talk about it though. :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY