Avengers/Beatles connections

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Avengers/Beatles connections

Post by Rodders »

I posted this earlier today on Facebook:

The Beatles' iconic Abbey Road album cover was a reference to my father's Avengers episode The Hour That Never Was which they all loved. (For non-Beatles fans, it is the cover with them walking on a zebra crossing). The Beatles were huge Steed and Mrs Peel fans.
Last edited by Rodders on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Re: Avengers/Beatles connections

Post by anti-clockwise »

Rodders wrote:I posted this earlier today on Facebook:

I can reveal that The Beatles' iconic Abbey Road album cover was a reference to my father's Avengers episode The Hour That Never Was which they all loved. (For non-Beatles fans, it is the cover with them walking on a zebra crossing). The Beatles were huge Steed and Mrs Peel fans.
Obviously the Beatles had good taste besides music. But help me out. What is the connection between the cover and the episode?
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

anti-clockwise wrote:

I can reveal that The Beatles' iconic Abbey Road album cover was a reference to my father's Avengers episode The Hour That Never Was which they all loved. (For non-Beatles fans, it is the cover with them walking on a zebra crossing). The Beatles were huge Steed and Mrs Peel fans.
Obviously the Beatles had good taste besides music. But help me out. What is the connection between the cover and the episode?
Has to be the zebra crossing. Remember Emma saying to Steed "Look left, look right, etc" before they cross the zebra crossing at the RAF base. I've had Abbey Road for years, and Hour is my fave Avengers episode, but I had no idea The Beatles were influenced by it. Always interesting to learn something new. You may already know, but Paul's barefoot appearance on the cover of Abbey Road sparked rumours he was dead back in 1969 :!:
Noel
Little Wonder

Post by Noel »

cyberrich wrote:
anti-clockwise wrote:

Has to be the zebra crossing. Remember Emma saying to Steed "Look left, look right, etc" before they cross the zebra crossing at the RAF base. I've had Abbey Road for years, and Hour is my fave Avengers episode, but I had no idea The Beatles were influenced by it. Always interesting to learn something new. You may already know, but Paul's barefoot appearance on the cover of Abbey Road sparked rumours he was dead back in 1969 :!:
One of my fave episodes too and I hope that it is the zebra crossing. I love your dad' episode it is one of his best.
The Avengers will always be in my heart like it always will be in your's

ABC Your Weekend Television in The North & The Midlands

Last Listed To: "Dragonfield"

Last Watched: "Dial a Deadly Number"
Ian Wegg
Winged Avenger

Post by Ian Wegg »

Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Yes, that is the image! A wonderful, playfully surreal moment.
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

In The Superlative Seven there is a tenuous link to The Beatles. Can anyone tell me what it is?
hatpeg
Little Wonder

Post by hatpeg »

MikeR wrote:In The Superlative Seven there is a tenuous link to The Beatles. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Probably a longshot, but Charlotte Rampling was an uncredited dancer in
A Hard Day's Night.
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

hatpeg wrote:
MikeR wrote:In The Superlative Seven there is a tenuous link to The Beatles. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Probably a longshot, but Charlotte Rampling was an uncredited dancer in
A Hard Day's Night.
Hatpeg

Not that I know of?

Here's a big clue. You need to look in a certain book published last July.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

The Kitchener's Valet reference?
I know the Rolling Stones bought their gear there, so I assume the Sergeant Pepper's era costumes were similarly sourced.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.