What is the next best series after The Avengers?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

What is the next best series after The Avengers?

Post by cyberrich »

Obviously The Avengers is the best series ever made, but which comes next. Personally I would say Dr Who, particularly in the 70s. I love it now with David Tennant, but I do have a high regard for both John Pertwee(who based his Doctor on Steed with his Edwardian attire and yellow Bentley), and my favourite Tom Baker. Also I think I'll treat myself to the Adam Adamant boxset after reading glowing reports about it elsewhere on this forum. This series was BBC's answer to The Avengers, and the little I've seen of it looks very impressive.
Last edited by cyberrich on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Jon Pertwee was a great favourite of mine as Dr. Who but as for the best non-Avengers series, that's a difficult one. I was a fan of Man in a Suitcase but I haven't seen it in twenty years and it lacked the humour and warmth of The Avengers. I keep meaning to watch my father's Public Eye which seems to be enjoying a second life on dvd. I guess I'd plump for something American and completely different from The Avengers such as The Rockford Files or The Magician.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

A very different genre, but for me it's Absolutely Fabulous.
I love that series so much, I can't even put it into words.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

My second favorite series after "The Avengers" is another spy show: "Mission Impossible" (mostly season 2 and 3).
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I couldn't say that The Avengers is my favourite show. It's up there with a lot of others, to be honest: Doctor Who, Sapphire and Steel, The Prisoner, Callan, Public Eye, Twin Peaks, The Forsyte Saga, Quatermass, UFO, The Saint, Gideon's Way, Man in a Suitcase, Mystery and Imagination, The Mind of Mr J.G. Reeder, Spindoe, plus a ton of comedies... the list is endless, and I find it too difficult to choose a favourite out of all those. They all give me great pleasure as do many other shows besides.

My 'number one spot' is a very crowded place! :lol:
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: What is the next best series after The Avengers?

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

cyberrich wrote:Also I think I'll treat myself to the Adam Adamant boxset after reading glowing reports about it elsewhere on this forum. This series was ITV's answer to The Avengers, and the little I've seen of it looks very impressive.
Adam Adamant Lives! was the BBC answer to The Avengers, as The Avengers was an ITV show.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

1. The Avengers
2. Star Trek
3. Bonanza
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

The Saint, Yes (Prime) Minister, Sherlock Holmes by Jeremy Brett, Midsomer Murders, The Persuaders, Frasier, Hustle and did I forget a few?

Series that are still on my to do list:
The Prisoner and Danger Man, Mission: Impossible, Adam Adamant.

And there are also a few documentary series, which for me belong to the very best of television.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

My favorite "other" series? Guess . . .

Image Image Image

Next in line? The story of Duncan McLeod, from Glenfinnan on Loch Shiel.

There can be only one!
Last edited by VA_Avenger on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

We can see why.