Dead Man's Treasure Hunt 2008

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Dead Man's Treasure Hunt 2008

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Just to say that the 22nd Dead Man's Treasure Hunt was staged last weekend (Friday 29 to Sunday 31) and was most enjoyable - a real credit to the organisation of Chris Bentley, Nick Williams and newcomers Wiebke Köppen and Mark Grattan (who, sadly, couldn't make it through injury - get well soon Mark, you were sorely missed!).

It was lovely to see so many people on the Friday night at the hotel, such as old friends like Michael Richardson, the editor of the brilliant "Action TV" zine, who I first started working with in 1984, and also a quick visit from Vanessa Bergman whose enthusiasm fuelled the Randall and Hopkirk Deceased Appreciation Society in the late 1980s/early 1990s. And it's great to catch up with so many friends.

We had a lovely visit out on Saturday in two smashing air-conditioned coaches, dropping in on about ten film locations en route. In terms of Avengers locations we got to see the beautiful village of Denham ("Return of the Cybernauts") and the striking venue of Oakley Court ("The Midas Touch" ... and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"!) as well as having lunch at the Crown Inn ("Killer"). Chris Bentley did an excellent job as always as tour guide, delivering some fascinating historical gems on each venue.

Although I'm not a great fan of the Saturday evening games (as I'd rather just chat to people in the bar), we did have a lovely crop in store for us this year which made for a most enjoyable few hours.

Unfortunately, the heavens opened for most of Sunday morning which rather dampened a very good treasure hunt based around six churches and the theme of "To Catch a Rat" (the half dozen stops to find clues all being Location 3s ... 3 being C for Church if you recall the episode). All very nicely organised with plenty to keep body and brain active, although sadly I had to spend part of it car bound due to an arthritic attack rooted in the right hip (compounded when I slipped on a treacherous path alongside the church at Radlett). There was also a camera crew present from Phoenix Film and Television Productions Ltd (http://www.phoenixmedia.co.uk/phoenix/About.htm) who were recording events and also interviews with attendees about the series. The interviews, conducted by Marcus Hearn (one half of Reynolds & Hearn who published Chris' book "The Avengers on Location") are apparently destined for a new documentary about the series to be released on DVD.

Anyway, all in all, another smashing weekend where everyone seemed to have fun, and all credit to Chris, Nick, Wiebke and Mark for their hard work in organising it.

All the best

Andrew
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Dead Man's Treasure Hunt 2008

Post by mousemeat »

Andrew Pixley wrote:Not quite sure which section this should be in, so Mods, please feel free to move it to its correct home if this posting is in error ...

Just to say that the 22nd Dead Man's Treasure Hunt was staged last weekend (Friday 29 to Sunday 31) and was most enjoyable - a real credit to the organisation of Chris Bentley, Nick Williams and newcomers Wiebke Köppen and Mark Grattan (who, sadly, couldn't make it through injury - get well soon Mark, you were sorely missed!).

It was lovely to see so many people on the Friday night at the hotel, such as old friends like Michael Richardson, the editor of the brilliant "Action TV" zine, who I first started working with in 1984, and also a quick visit from Vanessa Bergman whose enthusiasm fuelled the Randall and Hopkirk Deceased Appreciation Society in the late 1980s/early 1990s. And it's great to catch up with so many friends.

We had a lovely visit out on Saturday in two smashing air-conditioned coaches, dropping in on about ten film locations en route. In terms of Avengers locations we got to see the beautiful village of Denham ("Return of the Cybernauts") and the striking venue of Oakley Court ("The Midas Touch" ... and "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"!) as well as having lunch at the Crown Inn ("Killer"). Chris Bentley did an excellent job as always as tour guide, delivering some fascinating historical gems on each venue.

Although I'm not a great fan of the Saturday evening games (as I'd rather just chat to people in the bar), we did have a lovely crop in store for us this year which made for a most enjoyable few hours.

Unfortunately, the heavens opened for most of Sunday morning which rather dampened a very good treasure hunt based around six churches and the theme of "To Catch a Rat" (the half dozen stops to find clues all being Location 3s ... 3 being C for Church if you recall the episode). All very nicely organised with plenty to keep body and brain active, although sadly I had to spend part of it car bound due to an arthritic attack rooted in the right hip (compounded when I slipped on a treacherous path alongside the church at Radlett). There was also a camera crew present from Phoenix Film and Television Productions Ltd (http://www.phoenixmedia.co.uk/phoenix/About.htm) who were recording events and also interviews with attendees about the series. The interviews, conducted by Marcus Hearn (one half of Reynolds & Hearn who published Chris' book "The Avengers on Location") are apparently destined for a new documentary about the series to be released on DVD.

Anyway, all in all, another smashing weekend where everyone seemed to have fun, and all credit to Chris, Nick, Wiebke and Mark for their hard work in organising it.

All the best

Andrew
Sounds like a smashing time was had by all...How fun..I swear, one of these yrs, I would love to make it over and partake...I dream of taking my MG Midget over as well...

I could certainly enjoy hanging out in the local pub, hoisting a few cold ones, ( sorry mates, I'm American ..you know, COLD beer-ale )
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I'd love to go one year, too. Sigh. But I'm glad you had fun!
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

Yeah, that sounds like a fun weekend! Thanks for telling us about, Andrew.
Allen
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Wow. It sounds as if you had a great time Andrew. I'm sorry to hear about your hip pain and the fall. That must have hurt! Hope you're feeling better.
Kim
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Hi Andrew, thanks for the report, it sounded great (despite damp!). I hope your hip got better soonest. The new documentary sounds intriguing!
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Yes, thank you Andrew for your report! I ahve had to miss the last 3 years and I missed meeting Brian Clemens and now being in a documentary! Dash it all!
Sorry to hear about your fall and hope you mend very quickly!
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Thank you to everyone over their very kind words about the slip. I've had an arthritic hip since 1983 and some days it's worse than others. Thankfully, the slip was more of a jarring then anything worse, but left me a bit wobbly for the rest of the day. Thankfully, after more anti-inflamatories, it was better by the next morning.

You're all very kind. Thank you.

All the best

Andrew
Prendergast
Thingumajig

Post by Prendergast »

Are there pictures anywhere from this years event?
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

Prendergast wrote:Are there pictures anywhere from this years event?
The site Target http://home.arcor.de/avengers/ appears to have stopped covering the event after 2006 :(