What is the next best series after The Avengers?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

The Avengers is the next best series after The Prisoner in my list, followed by Danger Man, UFO and Strangers.
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

The Prisoner is better?! No, Sam. I love the idea behind it, and some of the initial episodes but one simply doesn't care about the central character and the actor is so OTT at times. There isn't the variety, evolution or longevity you get with The Avengers. As one critic wrote: "Utterly without spontaneity and real life." Please change your mind!
Paddy Nee and Diana Rigg v Patrick Mc. No contest!
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Rodders
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Rodders »

Overrated: The Prisoner
Underrated: The Avengers
The Avengers: a product of the sixties and a timeless piece of sublime art
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It's probably a matter of taste!
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

In no particular order these would be my next favorite dramatic tv series:

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Upstairs Downstairs
Perry Mason

Favorite comedies:

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Dan wrote:In no particular order these would be my next favorite dramatic tv series:

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Upstairs Downstairs
Perry Mason

Favorite comedies:

Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Perry Mason. A classic.
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Rodders wrote:The Prisoner is better?! No, Sam. I love the idea behind it, and some of the initial episodes but one simply doesn't care about the central character and the actor is so OTT at times. There isn't the variety, evolution or longevity you get with The Avengers. As one critic wrote: "Utterly without spontaneity and real life." Please change your mind!
Now, you see, this is why I don't ty to rank series above each other. Obviously some rise to the top, and The Prisoner and The Avengers are both right up there.

Oddly enough, I'd say there's as much variety and evolution in The Prisoner as you get in 9 years with The Avengers, right there within those 17 episodes. There's not the longevity, but that's a quantative measure, not a qualitative one.

They are great series. I love them both dearly. If I had to take one to a desert island... well, I'd take The...

;)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
anti-clockwise
Mission... Highly Improbable!

Post by anti-clockwise »

Alan wrote:
Rodders wrote:The Prisoner is better?! No, Sam. I love the idea behind it, and some of the initial episodes but one simply doesn't care about the central character and the actor is so OTT at times. There isn't the variety, evolution or longevity you get with The Avengers. As one critic wrote: "Utterly without spontaneity and real life." Please change your mind!
Now, you see, this is why I don't ty to rank series above each other. Obviously some rise to the top, and The Prisoner and The Avengers are both right up there.

Oddly enough, I'd say there's as much variety and evolution in The Prisoner as you get in 9 years with The Avengers, right there within those 17 episodes. There's not the longevity, but that's a quantative measure, not a qualitative one.

They are great series. I love them both dearly. If I had to take one to a desert island... well, I'd take The...

;)[/quote well, I'd take The... ...... Avengers as you don't have a website yet for the prisoner. :wink:
"He likes his tea stirred anti-clockwise."
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

My favourite after The Avengers would be Rumpole of the Bailey.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Speed Six
Little Wonder

Post by Speed Six »

I thought that might put the Cat amongst the Pigeons !